• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay Fake Maybe?

• Fadeingstar changed the title to Ebay Fake Maybe?

Looking at it I would say yes its fake. The strike isn't crisp,the 10 Yuan appears to be totally off struck and the 30g Ag.999 and the leaves just look wrong. I'm always suspicious when someone only posts a photo of 1 side of a coin...I could be wrong,I'm not an expert on Pandas...I don't collect them!

Could be the lighting...but I wouldn't buy it.

Regards

Seller has great reputation, though I agree it looks a tad odd. The off-centered 10 yuan doesn't bother me as much as it seems that the coin is not placed ''correctly'' and therefore it appears to be slightly off. What caught my eye is the ''3'' in ''30g'' on the coin. It doesn't look as clean as it should. Additionally, in genuine examples, there's a very small gap between the 3 and the leaves of the tree, whereas on the listing it looks like its muddled into the leaf:

655151859_Screenshot2021-08-11at13_18_13.thumb.png.efdec046f1a55b4fde2974ed803997f1.png

Admittedly, it may just be the quality of the picture. if in doubt, I'd ask for better quality picture and definitely a picture of the reverse. Too close to call just based on that one picture and if that's the case, probably best to sit this one out.

Well in my last post I did say the 10 Yuan was  not struck correctly and not correctly positioned but someone did say the coin was not aligned. I've checked other coins and the 10 Yuan is deffinatly incorrect,also the 3 in 30g looks  wrong. The last time. I looked at the  auction with 1  day to go it had only reached £2.20?????? Be interesting to see the final price but I wouldn't bid on it at all...too many Red flags... but I'm not a Panda lover so could be completely wrong...lets wait n see what the sold price on this will be!

Still at £2.20, but another day to go yet. I think a lot of eBay buyers may read this forum - on another thread I described how to spot a particular fake 1 ozt bar. There are lots on eBay, but since then they have stopped selling for £30+. But this may just be due to the recent drop in silver spot price.

Here's another fake with a very misleading descrition (note the raised lettering - should be indented).

2015 Australian **FUNNEL-WEB SPIDER** 1OZ COIN 0.999 Silver 

If you read carefully, the description reads "2015 Australian **FUNNEL-WEB SPIDER** 1OZ COIN 0.999 Fine Silver Plate With white floating stand." What is 1 oz 0.999 fine sliver plate supposed to mean? At time of posting, £31 includingP&P.

16 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Another one which looks to me that has raised lettering on ebay.. raised lettering £32 + £13 P/P

Screenshot_20210814-115043_eBay.jpg

That one looks OK to me. Maybe not a good coin to buy on the basis of a photo. I like the 2015 design, but one's I am confident in tend to go for £40 or £45 inc P&P

Another blatant fake from a seller with amazing feedback. This one is definitely sold as real (no sneaky menntion of plate in the description)

2015 Silver Australian Funnel Web Spider 1oz Silver Coin in Capsule.

I'm so glad I've found this forum! I've used eBay quite a lot - had one fake, but got my money back - but it seems to be geytting even worse.

Edit: seller rep is good, but they don't sell much if any PM

Edited by zxtm99
stated in post

23 minutes ago, zxtm99 said:

That one looks OK to me. Maybe not a good coin to buy on the basis of a photo. I like the 2015 design, but one's I am confident in tend to go for £40 or £45 inc P&P

Higher the price doesn't meant genuine...I steer clear of the funnel,Roos,Kooks,Pandas on ebay...but I do think the Perth mint is the best,its just a case of these coins are among one of the most faked.....

Yeah I don't trust those eyes. Its possible that when a mold was made it didn't get all the detail in that area. And the other issue is the 3 of the 30g which blends into the leaves (as has been noted above). Could be another molding artefact.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple more, both from the same seller:

koalafakebullion.com

kangaroofakebullion.com

fakebullion.com is very useful! I'm not sure if it is still maintained and updated? I note pretty well all the silver fakes are plated brass so would fail the magnet test (most are off in dimensions and/or weight too, for the same reason). Silver plated copper would be much harder to detect. I don't know if it is not used much, or whether they just tend to go undetected?