• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My thoughts on silver as a Noob

Slam

Hi

Correct me if I am wrong or if anyone has experience this when stacking.

I realised this when looking at silver prices all March and towards the end of march the prices dipped. Rather than feeling sad I felt happy that it went down. Never in stocks or other investments have I ever felt happy that the value had dropped. This is when I realised something was different about PM and how I should look at it.

I am about as new as they come and only have a few oz silver before I look at getting more but I am doing my own research and talking to experience stackers, youtube videos and come to learning that its not a good investment in terms of short term gains, there are better methods out there, however to me its a good saving method/tool. I shouldn't look at it as losing money but saving and accumulating value.

From past experience (looking at past deals) it would seem gold is the better buy right now for us uk people as the ratio is like 50 to 1 in some cases. Gold is cheaper now than last year it would seem. However the potential and hype does seem to be around silver. They say you should have a exit strategy and how do you prepare to exit in 30 years time?

My real concern really though is if the world adopts digital currency and with the world allowing government to track people transactions and invade privacy now. PM will maybe go down/lay flat in value for years and years as it would be harder to sell? For example, if someone has 100million in cash sitting under the bed, they cannot go out and buy something without someone asking them questions like where you get the cash. 

Say if you had 100million oz's of silver in 30 years time where can you cash out without questions being asked especially in a digital world where robots will probably say no? 

Obviously i am new and my views is probably absolute garbage and I would be more happier if I had more oz's in the bag, my view would probably change but i don't know. Be interesting to know what others think.

My regret is, I should of got in earlier 😭, loving the learning at the moment though 😃

One thing you must remember every Fiat currency has failed - period. Its irrelavant wether its digital or not, Its been digital for years already. 95% of fiat is already digital. The only reason they (central banks) want a crypto version is as you mentioned is to control and regulate. But if you keep on creating it - it becomes more worthless, and the currency continues to be debased. 

We are enslaved in debt, theres no escape debt to GDP ratio's in majority of western currencies are now doomed.

You are hedging against inflation and inflation is rising already - government use CPI rates becuase they are the lowest for inflation. It isnt a real gauge of real inflation. 

Bernie Madoff would of made the best Federal reserve chairman as he was king of the ponzi scheme and thats what we are in. Ponzi schemes fail eventually.

It wont chnage - because central banks are owned by the banking cartel. They want it to stay that way, 

Unfortunately until a different economic model is adopted - we are toast. The Mises model works, the Keynesian one doesnt.

Dont regret about the time you got in, because you HAVE got in - its those that DONT are going to be hurt the most.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, Slam said:

Say if you had 100million oz's of silver in 30 years time where can you cash out without questions being asked especially in a digital world where robots will probably say no? 

Do yo know how much gold and silver goes into making a robot?

Not just robots but electronics, fuses, switches, car parts, TV's, solar panels, CDs, medical equipment, jewelry, watches and as been used as money for many many years. 

One of the first things I have learned when joing the forum is diversify your physical assets. Start off with silver, learn how it all works then move into other areas. If you look at backyard bullion videos from the beginning it was pretty much just silver. Look now and see how he has moved forward. 

The second important thing I have learned hear is keeping a record of all you purchases, buying and selling because we are probably moving into a age where they would ask questions about 1 Oz nevermind 100 million Oz.

There are many members on here that stack for all sorts of different reasons. It's a great community, a great hobby and a even better saving mechanism (my kebab shop doesn't take silver as payment). You question is always welcome and part of the fun is discussion on different scenarios. 

Personally I do hold silver, gold and crypto. Silver is my passion to get gold. Crypto is a gamble and better than paddy power. I think crypto will stay but only as a middleman for exchange.

Great post.

Enjoy

1 hour ago, Slam said:

My real concern really though is if the world adopts digital currency and with the world allowing government to track people transactions and invade privacy now. PM will maybe go down/lay flat in value for years and years as it would be harder to sell? For example, if someone has 100million in cash sitting under the bed, they cannot go out and buy something without someone asking them questions like where you get the cash. 

this cuts both ways - a full scale adoption of digital currencies could also increase demand for precious metals as money. The old school traditional cash will disappear, and we will need a recognised form of money that's not digital. Some people prefer privacy and need a fall back mechanism in case there's a power cut or for security - cryptos are usually held by third party wallets / exchanges which have a habit of being hacked !

We may see some interesting digital currencies - where a coin actually represents something of value - computing power, internet bandwidth etc, but in time these will complement  gold and silver as forms of money, rather than replace them. Besides, the majority of the 'money' in the system is electronic, and has been since the 80s.

The other factor is that cryptos in their current state are not investible, and very few people actually hold them as money or store of wealth. Imagine trying to buy a house with cryptos: on a Friday you end paying 30% less than you would have done on a Monday. The silver price can be volatile but the actual physical silver price is far more stable.

Hi,

I am not sure that in only 30 yrs the robots will rule the world. But even in this scenario, the robots will need more metals. Guess what kind of metals the robots will need?😎 Anyway, this is sci-fi. 

The industrial demand will be higher and higher. More silver will be used every year and the dealers will be desperate to cover the demand. I am very confident about silver's spot price going up and up in few years. Yes, it is a long term investment, but that moment will come. 

Yes, your question about being asked about your million of oz is legit. But if you can prove that your stack was build working hard and paying taxes everything will be alright. 

Cheers!

Stefan.

4 hours ago, Spark268 said:

We may see some interesting digital currencies - where a coin actually represents something of value - computing power, internet bandwidth etc,

A cyrptocurrency that shares computing power and internet bandwith, solving last mile problem and many more? Already exists! It's called THETA. Two tokens, THETA and THETA FUEL. You can get paid Theta Fuel for sharing bandwith and computing power by downloading an Edge Node. I recommend you check it out if you haven't as it's darn amazing in my eyes and a buying opportunity has appeared the last couple of days with a massive drop ;)

6 hours ago, Slam said:

Obviously i am new and my views is probably absolute garbage and I would be more happier if I had more oz's in the bag, my view would probably change but i don't know. Be interesting to know what others think.

My regret is, I should of got in earlier 😭, loving the learning at the moment though 😃

I wouldn't deal with robots in the first place LOL - but seriously, there's always a free market (some people or govs label it a black market sometimes) - free markets (or peer to peer) survive on exchange/barter. PM's have been a medium of value and exchange since their discovery so with an ever-growing technological and green world, the more use for PM's there will be, therefore an increase in value.

I'm not sure how the situation will be 30 years down the line but I like to have a little of everything just in case. I've got some of my portfolio allocated in Theta which I believe is a tech investment (it's not just a crypto its a full-on streaming company w/ 3 patents on blockchain video distribution and payment tech). Most of my PM portfolio is in Silver and not much in Gold. 

I just warn you of one thing, be careful when stacking... You can ask anyone here it's extremely addicting!:lol:

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

3 minutes ago, stackerp5 said:

A cyrptocurrency that shares computing power and internet bandwith, solving last mile problem and many more? Already exists! It's called THETA. Two tokens, THETA and THETA FUEL. You can get paid Theta Fuel for sharing bandwith and computing power by downloading an Edge Node. I recommend you check it out if you haven't as it's darn amazing in my eyes and a buying opportunity has appeared the last couple of days with a massive drop

thanks for the tip - i will check it out. I am a crypto skeptic, but I own a tiny amount of BTC and would like to convert it into Theta - however it wasn't available for purchase on coin base.

1 minute ago, Spark268 said:

thanks for the tip - i will check it out. I am a crypto skeptic, but I own a tiny amount of BTC and would like to convert it into Theta - however it wasn't available for purchase on coin base.

I personally have used https://simpleswap.io but https://changeangel.io/ seem to have better fees although I haven't used them before. You can create a Binance account to exchange, they dont ask for verification (they only ask if you buy with card or BT).

Coinbase will probably be releasing them soon. But by then the price will have risen - people who are in-the-know on Theta have been jumping over few hoops to get it before Coinbase announces it.

I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I've already done so feel free to pop me a PM and I can give you some pointers where to look, what to be in the lookout for etc. :) 

3 minutes ago, kimchi said:

@stackerp5 Bix Weir said much the same on a video posted in the 'silver squeeze' thread. I'd give it a shot for sure at the current price, but he said there's none available to buy - everyone is HODLing?

Yeah Bix has made me some good money not going to lie. He was yelling about BTC back at $200 but by that time I was already in ;) - You can also PM me for info if you'd like and check out the websites above they might have some. I know I'm hodling and accumulating whenever I can - waiting for a sale confirmation to load up on more ;) :D  - but in reality most people are STAKING theta, you need at least 1000 to stake and earn TFUEL on the side. I've got mine staked and no regrets - just waiting for when prices start to rise... and I'll still be HODLing/staking haha

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

that's a wealth of info thank you, simpleswap.io seems straightforward so will take a flutter. 

To bring the topic back: I just saw today's video by Bix and at the start he did emphasise that he is more bullish on silver than Theta :P

44 minutes ago, Spark268 said:

that's a wealth of info thank you, simpleswap.io seems straightforward so will take a flutter. 

To bring the topic back: I just saw today's video by Bix and at the start he did emphasise that he is more bullish on silver than Theta :P

I agree and that's why I'm torn lol - but I've been looking more at Theta recently due to potential gain. From £30 to £300 that's a x10 on silver but from £10 to at least £100 on Theta that's at least a x10. Unless Bix's predictions are right then yes Silver will outperform Theta for a while. His strategy is to cash-out silver profits into Theta anyways so it sounds like whatever boat you're in now doesn't really matter as it seems the coming tsunami will rock all financial and investment boats ;)  - so spreading eggs in more than 1 basket is always the best :D 

a wise man told me that the ideal portfolio allocation is 20-20-20-20-20 (Stocks, Precious Metals, Cash (& cryptos I presume), Real Estate, Bonds), but you can always vary the percentages based on what your opinion on valuations are at any point in time. Cash, stock and bonds are all overvalued at the moment so it makes sense to play with the percentages, or cash-in and out as the different prices move.

1 minute ago, Spark268 said:

a wise man told me that the ideal portfolio allocation is 20-20-20-20-20 (Stocks, Precious Metals, Cash (& cryptos I presume), Real Estate, Bonds), but you can always vary the percentages based on what your opinion on valuations are at any point in time. Cash, stock and bonds are all overvalued at the moment so it makes sense to play with the percentages, or cash-in and out as the different prices move.

I'm 0 - 59.9 - 40 - 0.1 - 0 --- the 0.1 in Real Estate is a raffle/donation for a piece of land so yeah :lol::lol: 
Before that I was 50 - 0 - 40 - 0 - 10 but I feel much happier and safer now - personally like stocks when I can play or predict well enough but I got out of stocks luckily just in time for my strategy :) 

haha :)

that's a smart move with equities, both with the higher allocation previously and the reduced one now - I'm around 25% on average but have gotten that down to 10% this month- and this is mostly battered down UK stocks. My real estate is also 10% as i think the markets too expensive, bonds too (no yield!) - that would make my PM allocation on par with yours - although no one has ever recommended this alllocation level 😛

3 hours ago, Spark268 said:

I have a little bit of BTC, don't know why, probably the fear of missing out. Every time I try to get interested in crypto I head over to coin market cap and try to pick one of the 5000 different cryptos on offer. If I pick number 4655 on the list it is mti finance. It rose 2500% today. Then I think, perhaps I shouldn't back that one, I will stick with the one invented for drug dealers and hitmen to do business in the dark net. Is it me, or am I getting old because it just looks like there is 5000 different ways to do the same thing. 

Thanks all for your replies.
I agree that it can be very additive building up silver, I am interested for sure. I have watched many videos and the general idea I have come up with is that experience stackers are stacking up gold, but also alittle bit of silver when there is a good deal. 

As for sky high spot prices by end of the year, I stopped watching these videos as I feel that its unrealistic and is really clickbait. I understand it could be high prices in the future compared to now, but looking at history I don't think so for 3 digits by end of the year, even for £30 spot price is a stretch.  

Obviously I could be totally wrong but I see it as wishful thinking. (Also Im being wishful thinking myself as I want and hope it to stay low as possible haha.)

I also don't fully understand the movement of wall street silver currently to push up prices and why everyone wants higher prices? (unless you have a truck load of silver), I mean everyone is hyping up to buy silver etc. What for? To destroy the banks and wall street big hedge fund players and show true value of silver?

If that is the case then wouldn't that be destorying more peoples lives as ultimately the customers of the banks would suffer alot more than the people with silver gains as the unspected people with their fiat in the bank would lose their savings/ fiat currency holdings in the bank? (Probably I don't think its a good idea because I don't have a sizeable stack.)  

Also if silver was to sky rocket in value, that would also mean the stuff that uses silver, we use and buy in todays world like technology that we use daily, us customers would also suffer as prices would rise for goods we buy. So in the end we all suffer? but the big companies and banks would suffer less because they can past the expenses to the customers not to mention they would have bailouts I reckon?

Apoligies if I am way off my thinking here and if my questions are stupid! 

Obviously I have alot to learn.

2 hours ago, Slam said:

I also don't fully understand the movement of wall street silver currently to push up prices and why everyone wants higher prices? (unless you have a truck load of silver), I mean everyone is hyping up to buy silver etc. What for? To destroy the banks and wall street big hedge fund players and show true value of silver?

the wall street movement is overblown - Silver has been regarded as money for 5000 years, and for 4850 of those years it was worth 1/15th of what gold was. Its averaged only 1/50th over the last decade and last March it was driven down to 1/120th of the price of gold, an all time low price over 50 centuries.  Since last march, Silver has been in very high demand, and most of these redditors are late to the party. As recently as 2018-19 and before, silver was regarded as boring, so it is now only getting the attention it deserves. In other parts of the world, continental Europe, Asia, Africa, the people have always regarded silver has money (in India, the name of the currency: Rupee is named after silver) and probably won't understand what the fuss is about!

I don't want to disparage the Wallstreet crowd, as they are a great bunch and doing a great job of raising awareness. If silver wasn't valuable and under-priced, I would guarantee you that the wallstreetsilver crowd wouldn't exist - their primary motive is wealth preservation (in real terms).  The destroy the banks thing is a bit of an internet joke. 

i wouldn't loose any sleep over the banks - they have been bankrupt since 2007 anyway, and happily screwing joe public since time immemorial.

I do not want to create FOMO - and you should make your own decisions - but as long as silver remains below $50 an ounce, and worth less than 1/15th of gold, its worth buying if you do not hold any already - the shiny stuff that is and not a piece of paper.

52 minutes ago, Slam said:

I also don't fully understand the movement of wall street silver currently to push up prices and why everyone wants higher prices

100 years ago the price of silver was 9 dollars per Oz, so it's only doubled in value.

Every other metal traded has gone up 600% minimum. The sentiment is that they want the true market value for silver. The market is reflected by paper not physical, so they are trying to prove a point..   a expensive point.

Yes be careful on the YouTubers, most of the pushers are affiliated to a bullion dealer in one way or another.

The main problem with silver that it doesn't know what it is. If it was classed as a industrial metal (which is its main use) then it would have risen buy 1000s % like copper and tin, but it is still listed as bullion. It's like 6% gets used for this purpose. 

3 hours ago, Spark268 said:

do not want to create FOMO - and you should make your own decisions - but as long as silver remains below $50 an ounce, and worth less than 1/15th of gold, its worth buying if you do not hold any already - the shiny stuff that is and not a piece of paper.

What's fomo?

Currenly im stacking knowledge - Im valuing the silver stacker knowledge more than the actual coin at the moment as I am learning alot more about PM and also our monetary system and how the world works. 

Regarding PM, I got some silver coins, not much at all as I started in March of this year, was looking at around October/November time last year to get in but didn't know much about it, also xmas was around the corner. Little did I know brexit would add VAT on the prices which basically stops all cheap deals on silver if living in UK, oh and premiums. I would say since start of March I have a active interest in it, not long at all, where I have looked at prices almost every day, watched youtube etc. Im just thankful there is so much information out there to build the knowledge.

How about you?

Be interesting to know what other fellow stackers think too as we are the ones starting from fresh.

One thing I am looking forward to is visiting a coin fair or coin show, lol.

Im also looking forward to visiting a coin shop when we open up fully in the UK. 

43 minutes ago, Slam said:

Currenly im stacking knowledge - Im valuing the silver stacker knowledge more than the actual coin at the moment as I am learning alot more about PM and also our monetary system and how the world works. 

Regarding PM, I got some silver coins, not much at all as I started in March of this year, was looking at around October/November time last year to get in but didn't know much about it, also xmas was around the corner. Little did I know brexit would add VAT on the prices which basically stops all cheap deals on silver if living in UK, oh and premiums. I would say since start of March I have a active interest in it, not long at all, where I have looked at prices almost every day, watched youtube etc. Im just thankful there is so much information out there to build the knowledge.

How about you?

Be interesting to know what other fellow stackers think too as we are the ones starting from fresh.

One thing I am looking forward to is visiting a coin fair or coin show, lol.

Im also looking forward to visiting a coin shop when we open up fully in the UK. 

I'm like you, I got into PM in February of this year.   Learning more by doing research and asking questions.   Have to be careful with YouTube info, some of the content creators have their own personal agenda, so you need to think if what they say makes logical sense or is due to ulterior motives.

This thread may help for the newer members i started from an education perspective

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Archived