• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Somalian elephants

Stats

Are we talking Gold ones?  Or posted in wrong section?

Far from complete but I have:

Silver 2009-2015

Gold 2014-2016

Going back further is more than I'm prepared to pay.

I can add the 2008 to the recent run, 08-15 inc both versions of the 10 reverse and a couple of the more recent privy versions :)

silver!

I did see a listing on ebay earlier this year for 5 I think of the earlier ones at approx £50 per coin, I was tempted. I think if I saw the same now I would buy.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

15 hours ago, Stats said:

How close has anyone got to a complete date run of 1 oz coins? 

A German dealer/contact that it would appear that a number of board members have used, ( Dios111) has been a good source of back-dates for all of the German minted coins.

Just checked my database and he provided me with one of the 2004-2014 Somalia Elephant Jubilee Sets for just under £640. Albeit this was purchased Nov/13 but it did enable you to get hold of some of the rarer coins and thus avoid the hunt around and subsequent price creep. 

If you are interested in completing a date run the owner, Friedhelm, is an approachable person and will do his best to help.

http://dios111-preciouscoins.com/

He has also been a good  information source on the various mint's policies, not least giving a heads-up on the slow release of the Elephants/Rwanda Wildlife coins into the market. He also gave me the priceless steer of not to remove the RW coins from the foils regardless of  some of the horror tales circulating a few years back that the plastic would turn all your coins green  :(

I believe the gold started in 2009 buy you don't see previous years for sale very often.

A 2011 came up for sale recently for over £1000 (either €1400 or possibly €1600).

• Founder & Administrator

@Danny-boy That was the silver elephants. (I have since decided not to collect the silver ones any further due to the milk spots - but that is for another section)

The gold elephants look amazing, I haven't started collecting these yet and not sure if I will in the future, all depends on funds. I also don't know if I will like the diameter, as I prefer the diameter of the Gold Kangaroo and Panda coins which are currently my personal gold coins of choice. 

Although the premium is higher on the elephants compared to other gold coins, past years seem very hard to find so I believe they have a  very good chance of gaining extra premium over the years. They are also extremely beautiful coins in my opinion. Just look at some YouTube videos..

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

The larger diameter is a little annoying for people like me who like to have everything uniformly stored.  But then, so are maples at 30mm, Libertads at 34mm and RAM Lunars at 35mm.  Not forgetting the bizarre 2013 Brit at 39mm.

The premium on current years are a little higher than Lunar 2 (typically £15-£20) but the secondary market price in years to come more than makes up for it.

Going forward I will continue to collect but it's very doubtful I will find/afford previous years.

Scan of the current silver flyer but just imagine they are gold :) 

EPSON001.JPG

The gold bullion coin from Africa: The Elephant Somalia

Due to the popularity of the available since 2004 "African Wildlife" -Silbermünzen decided the Hamburg-based company "Emporia Mercator" - the pauses the Lizenrecht at the Somali Agenturaugabe in gold and silver, to issue the bullion coins as a gold coin. As Prägestätte stands out the "Bavarian State Mint" responsible. Since 2010, the coin of gold appears with annually changing design.

Like all investment gold coins are exempt from VAT, the African-Wildlife-gold coins in Germany.

Where does the name come from?

The term "African Wildlife" suggests thematic scenes of African fauna, but forms - like the silver issues - exclusively elephant motifs from. Therefore, the series is also called a "Somalia (Gold) Elephant" or "African Wildlife Elephant".

Somalia Gold Elephant Dimensions and weights

The Agency issues German coinage since 2010 are in the execution PP (proof) and brilliant uncirculated and available in the denominations 1 oz and 1 kg, 5 oz, 1/25 oz and 1/50 oz available.

Looks like the gold actually started in 2010.  

6 minutes ago, Stats said:

I've spoken to dios, he can't source back dated gold coins. Any other contacts that may be able to source backdated coins would be great

Finding the gold ones will be very very hard.

2010 here from APMEX

Currently CoinInvest works out the cheapest at €116.14 / pcs with shipping at €15.95 for 4-10 pcs.

Silber-Werte is €115.50 but shipping starts at €30.

20mm is a really good size.  Really looking forward to getting one.  If they become collectible like the 1oz, they'll gain good premiums in the after market.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder & Administrator
On 6 December 2015 at 00:02, morezone said:

20mm is a really good size.  Really looking forward to getting one.  If they become collectible like the 1oz, they'll gain good premiums in the after market.

Yep, I totally agree. Can't wait to get mine too. I reluctantly decided not to collect the 1oz elephant due to it's diameter, even though it is an amazingly beautiful coin. So I am very excited to see that they are releasing the 1/10ths with a 20mm diameter. Also means that there aren't any hard years to backfill as the 2016 is the first.

I only purchased one, but I feel these could be a great investment for those wishing to purchase multiples and sell a few years down the line.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived