• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britiannia, Royal Arms or Valiant? Nubie question

Oliman

Quick question guys. 

Would you recommend splitting your silver stacks between the three or focusing slightly more on the Britannias due to the security features? 

Any advantages or just which design you prefer? 

Sorry if asked before 

Ebay you have PayPal protection rights ect you can also get bargains from time to time. Given what your looking at is legal tender if you do find fakes get your money back through PayPal then for the fakes to the police with the sellers address 

Purely in terms of design, I prefer the Royal Arms coin to the other two.  The 2018 Valiant 10 oz silver coin is also fantastic though.  I'm less keen on the subsequent Valiant designs.  

Basically all 3 are lovely, you can't go wrong!

😀

Don't know what happened to my formatting above!

Here it is again...

Purely in terms of design, I prefer the Royal Arms coin to the other two.  The 2018 Valiant 10 oz silver coin is also fantastic though.  I'm less keen on the subsequent Valiant designs.  

On 25/02/2021 at 19:22, Oliman said:

Quick question guys. 

Would you recommend splitting your silver stacks between the three or focusing slightly more on the Britannias due to the security features? 

Any advantages or just which design you prefer? 

Sorry if asked before 

If you're wanting a maximum peace of mind when you're purchasing, it might be beneficial to get the new Britannia as the security features are valid and robust for now.

Realistically diversity is your friend and as long as you take time to educate yourself to deduce a forgery because if you ever come to resell you'll know exactly what to show a potential buyer to prove that your coin(s) are genuine. 

(From what you've mentioned you'll only be buying on trusted websites.) then you really have little to worry about so I don't see a reason why you shouldn't diversify even if its just a small amount.

eBay can be a treasure trove of value but you're right you have to watch out for scams, seen many fake half crowns/peace dollars and other coins you wouldn't think would be worth time to fake so I can understand the hesitancy. 

On 03/03/2021 at 03:42, Stuntman said:

Purely in terms of design, I prefer the Royal Arms coin to the other two.  The 2018 Valiant 10 oz silver coin is also fantastic though.  I'm less keen on the subsequent Valiant designs.  

😀

Don't know what happened to my formatting above!

Here it is again...

Purely in terms of design, I prefer the Royal Arms coin to the other two.  The 2018 Valiant 10 oz silver coin is also fantastic though.  I'm less keen on the subsequent Valiant designs.  

I love design of Royal Arms, and 2021 has mintage limit of 100k as well.  But at the end, it mainly depends on premium charging over spot for choosing the bullion.

I prefer the Royal Arms but for re-sale the Britannia is the more recognised design...

I have seen a few fake Britannias over the years and, to be honest, they have all been laughingly bad. You'd have to be half blind not to instantly recognise a 'copy' coin. For some reason the Chinese (most prolific makers of bullion 'copies') don't seem to put the same effort into UK coins as they do for i.e. Australian or American ones. An example of the Queen looking a bit peaky...

IMG_3359.JPG

If it's quantity your after get the cheapest and  If your wanting quality use trustworthy dealers and pay a bit more until you feel confident about buying elsewhere. 

Royal mint quality has been poor for 5 or 6 years now. 

RM quality is variable.  They actually can produce really nice, blemish-free bullion coins when they put their mind to it.
It is such a shame that what you receive is very much down to the luck of the draw.

As a stacker it probably wouldn't bother someone too much, but as a collector it does my head in - especially if the item in question is expensive and made of gold...

Archived