• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/8 Sovereign George & Dragon

Isitreal

Marketing companies usually target the general public ( not discerning members of this forum!? ) I would leave this one alone. Typically, exclusive deals are done with a British Overseas territory, such as Gibraltar, or Tristan Da Cunha (TDC) and so on. In this case its Alderney. A 1/8th Sov. never existed - for that matter neither did a 1/4 sov. in circulation. It contains 0.9166g of gold. £73 Hmmm!  Its true that 2021 is the 200th anniv. of Pistrucci's's 'definitive' design carrying a sword instead of the handle of a lance. I don't know who minted this - perhaps Jody Clark is moonlighting? I noticed however that all 4 reverses are different. Interesting but.......

I'd be steering clear of items like these. I think they've only been created due to the rise in gold price where a lot of people feel the price of a sovereign is too expensive so there having to fractionalise in order to convince you the price is still reasonable to buy at but given the premium it often isn't.

Just saw a TV ad on this with Michael Buerk for this. He put forward a compelling case for it but I think I'm going to give it a miss...! Off the back of designing of, if not the most successful series ever for the Royal Mint I'm shocked Jody Clark agreed to designing it to be honest

Looking for 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

On 01/02/2021 at 14:59, Heirlooms said:

Just saw a TV ad on this with Michael Buerk for this. He put forward a compelling case for it but I think I'm going to give it a miss...! Off the back of designing of, if not the most successful series ever for the Royal Mint I'm shocked Jody Clark agreed to designing it to be honest

Alderney coins are minted by the Commonwealth Mint nowadays but used to be minted by the RM prior to 2017. Various coin companies are granted exclusive issues and those companies, the Mint and the Alderney government must all take a slice of the pie. That would be a very small slice for an 1/8th of a sovereign.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

On 29/01/2021 at 16:28, Isitreal said:

Hi

Is the 2021 1/8 G&D worth buying at £73.99 per coin inclusive of postage?

I would hazard a guess that this might be your first prospective purchase of fractional gold? If so, then here’s something to consider. A standard sovereign is similar in size to one decimal penny. A half sov isn’t much smaller than a full sov and a lot of people collect those too. The Royal Mint also introduced 1/4 sovs into their annual proof sov sets in 2009 (I think) but 1/8th sovs must be really really tiny and difficult to handle in a tiny capsule. Full and half sovs are popular when the time comes to sell.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

I didn't go for this in the end, when I googled 1/8 of an ounce it came back with 3.5g and I thought that sounds like a good price but after asking the question here and I looked more closely at the coin details, it turned out that it was 1g so that was a no no. 

On 09/02/2021 at 23:17, Isitreal said:

I didn't go for this in the end, when I googled 1/8 of an ounce it came back with 3.5g and I thought that sounds like a good price but after asking the question here and I looked more closely at the coin details, it turned out that it was 1g so that was a no no. 

Good work. Save up for a full sov. About £330 bullion grade at the current spot price. 

If that's too much or you're desperate to get gold in hand then save a bit more for a half sov (£175~) or a 1/10oz Britannia or similar for about £150-160.

Remember the smaller you go the worse the premiums. Check the spot price before any purchases and then work out the premiums. Sovs and some other coins are 22ct or less than 24ct pure gold so remember to take that into consideration also. 

HTH

Archived