• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I’ve wasted so much money!

Hunter87

Over the years I wasted so much money buying things (not coin related) that I’ve ultimately enjoyed but which I have lost money on when I’ve decided to sell them. In the last few months I’ve decided that I want to change my habits to ultimately put myself in a better place in the future. So I’ve decided to Start stacking Gold as and when I can. To me I see it as a way of locking in my wealth like a savings account rather than any means to make money. 
My noob question is at the moment is it better to stack Full sovereigns or 1/4 gold Britannia’s? 

I would agree with the others and say sovereigns too. We can all look back at what we’ve wasted money on in our teens and 20’s.

Anyway, back on topic, I think sovereigns are better but there’s nothing wrong with Britannia’s either. Don’t forget both sovereigns and Britannia’s are capital gains tax exempt as they have a face value. So I don’t think you can go wrong with either if you can get them for as close to spot as possible. Sovereigns can be quite fascinating too with the older Victoria ones from 1840’s-1860’s with the many errors and rarities. It’s the history in them that I like. But there are also rarities in later dates too. I’m still learning a lot myself.

Just don’t forget that sovereigns are 22ct and Britannia’s, pre 2013 are also 22ct, post 2014 they’re 24ct. You may already know this but thought I’d mention it. Either way you still get the same amount of gold with the Britannia’s wether 22ct or 24ct.

This is a good price guide, put together by a member of this forum who I forget who put it together every time. 🙄

Anyway its very helpful.

http://goldprice.eu5.net/

5 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I would agree with the others and say sovereigns too. We can all look back at what we’ve wasted money on in our teens and 20’s.

Anyway, back on topic, I think sovereigns are better but there’s nothing wrong with Britannia’s either. Don’t forget both sovereigns and Britannia’s are capital gains tax exempt as they have a face value. So I don’t think you can go wrong with either if you can get them for as close to spot as possible. Sovereigns can be quite fascinating too with the older Victoria ones from 1840’s-1860’s with the many errors and rarities. It’s the history in them that I like. But there are also rarities in later dates too. I’m still learning a lot myself.

Just don’t forget that sovereigns are 22ct and Britannia’s, pre 2013 are also 22ct, post 2014 they’re 24ct. You may already know this but thought I’d mention it. Either way you still get the same amount of gold with the Britannia’s wether 22ct or 24ct.

This is a good price guide, put together by a member of this forum who I forget who put it together every time. 🙄

Anyway its very helpful.

http://goldprice.eu5.net/

Helpful advice, but how do you buy Victorian Sovereigns at close to spot, or any Sovereign for that matter, which would be £344 currently? Lowest premium I have seen is 3.5% plus postage from Chards. 

13 hours ago, Divmad said:

Helpful advice, but how do you buy Victorian Sovereigns at close to spot, or any Sovereign for that matter, which would be £344 currently? Lowest premium I have seen is 3.5% plus postage from Chards. 

I can't remember having seen Victorian Sovereigns at close to spot unless maybe on this forum and even then not in the best condition. That's also the downside to sovereigns, if you want to stack. You can easily be drawn into collecting even if it doesn't turn full scale high value numismtic but a little extra premium here and there and then even a bit more. Then you have less liquid coins and need to bother learning about numistmatics. If you want to keep it simple, buy Britannias or modern Sovereigns which almost look like copper, colourwise.

Archived