• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

SS a Gairsoppa 1/4oz Britannia

Danny-boy

I love this coin and I want one. Think is it's so expensive you know you are just buying it as a nice to heave. You will never be able to make any profit on these down the line. Still, might be tempted to get one at some point. I love the story!

You know, I am really glad I found this forum; it's been educational, and its saved me a lot of money. But I can see it is also going to turn me into a coin collector at this rate. :D It's a nice looking coin, good overall package, and yes it's a compelling background. All very good reasons to buy. I am undecided as I've already spent my budget for the month, although I could argue I've only spent my investment budget and this would just be "something nice". So tempting.

Yeah it's well pricey, would have been nice to get a 1oz coin but this is the royal mint we're talking about, I think people that buy it are doing it for the story not necessarily the silver weight, it's just something I wanted to own and was really happy with the overall presentation, thanks all for viewing, this seems like a great forum...

Cannot find figures on the overall mintage (which in theory is only limited by how many bars the RM got), but only 20,000 of the special presentation pack with DVD. Is that particularly low for this sort of thing, considering the 250,000 silver £20 coins? 

I think people that buy it are doing it for the story not necessarily the silver weight, it's just something I wanted to own 

That is the best reason for a collector to buy a coin.you buy it because you like it.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Overpriced as per normal from RM. It really is one for the coin collector and NOT for the stackers. 

I say if you like something and can justify the price tag then go for it, i can't see a profit in flipping it any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder & Administrator

Hads a nice story. I would have liked an unmelted block of silver from the wreck, has some cool history. But I think those bars would have been a bit pricey. ha.

Nice purchase there garthy and thanks for sharing your video.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Rounds minted from the bars are starting to float about. I'll be looking to pick one of those up soon.

Yes, I saw these 1ozers on SS.

I'd like one if anybody is getting some.

Shame they aren't a britannia though.

Stacker since 2013

Oddly enough, I had a good look at my britannias when I was taking pics earlier.

Whilst the 2013's aren't struck as well as the 2014's, they are nowhere near as bad as you seem to suggest.

I wonder if you got a particularly bad one for some unknown reason.

The first few months of the 2013 Brits were terrible and the RM were getting a good spanking on forums across the globe. So laterly they had the quality control guy all over them seeing much better quality coins from about July!

As for the this years 1/4oz  some will see it as,  silver is just silver so £120 per oz.

Some will like the story behind the coin, some will like the 50p Brit and some buy to make a set.

I can't see this one making big waves on the secondary market.

• 1 year later...

I never realised that the 1/4 ounce Gairsoppa Britannia was made in two different years. Just been looking on ebay at them and was wondering what the mintage of the 2013 coin is compared to the 2014 coin?

Archived