• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

SS a Gairsoppa 1/4oz Britannia

Danny-boy

I've pre-ordered one, the premium was eye watering but I really wanted to own one, a coin (22mm diameter) made of silver that's been sat on the sea bed 3 miles down (1/2 a mile deeper than Titanic) for 70 years after being sunk during WW2. It's very much my bread and butter.

I had to get one, the company that recovered the silver have been selling SS Gairsoppa silver bars for a while now I think but would like a Britannia more. Minting 20,000 of them if i recall correctly, the mint was given (or sold, i forget) a relatively small amount of silver, so to get a good number out then they had to be smaller sadly.

Going to be dispatched from the 5th May onwards from the mint.

I can really understand why, I mean it's still £30 for a coin the size of a sovereign made from silver, but it comes with 3 shows of the TV series which documented them raising the silver which makes ALL the difference :)

Time will tell if it's a "good" buy or not

Unlike the other major mints in the world, the RM collectable coins seem to never command a premium post launch.

I have not checked for a while but the RM used to have their own Ebay store to sell overstocks and with prices at times drastically slashed from the official list price and in order to move items on. From memory, they were selling off bulk lots of a series of  sterling silver 1 oz Historical Cars coins at about spot plus 15%, while I picked up 10 silver 'capital cities of the UK' coins for £16 a unit. Again if my memory serves me right these coins were limited to around 8000 units x the 4 Cities.  

It is accepted prices do eventually rise; but is this more a case of inflation and longevity as opposed to collectable worth? 

With the except of bullion ( Sov's, Britannias, and possibly the new Lunar series) I am struggling to think of any coin/series that the RM has produced which one can say has shown a steady return directly after the mint sells out.

The most recent major series that the mint run was the 50p silver collection for the Olympics, From what  I can see,  most of the coins on an individual basis are trading below the issue price and with the box collection showing a significant drop. That said, anyone got a Kew 50p that they don't want I can help  take it off their hands   :D

At the end of the day if you like what you buy thats all that matters and if you can share the history and the worth of an item more to the good. If you can turn a profit all  the better . 

Agreed Arthgoch, RM stuff is pretty much guaranteed to do absolutely nothing price wise, other than decline.

There are of course the exceptions, but very very few.

I put that down to the amount of shit they keep peddling for ludicrous prices.

Stacker since 2013

They seem to sell boxed silver commemoratives for pretty much every occasion that comes around, plenty with ugly designs anyway, so can't imagine their sales on those to be especially high.

Not surprising really that they're venturing with their own bullion Lunar series which has done so well for Perth mint, I hope that series does well, might persuade the mint to focus more on regular bullion series than randomly spitting out collectables every event.

• Founder & Administrator

I don't hate them, but they do piss me off with their prices.

They make the britannia, I like that coin a lot.

I can't wait to get back to the UK and check out my 2014 britannia, I hope its actually nice. And not like the 2013 disaster. The 2013 one I have is the worst quality coin I have ever seen. 

If the 2014 is minted nicely, I will forgive the britannia. And might even save up to buy a gold one to go with the silver one.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I can't wait to get back to the UK and check out my 2014 britannia, I hope its actually nice. And not like the 2013 disaster. The 2013 one I have is the worst quality coin I have ever seen.

If the 2014 is minted nicely, I will forgive the britannia. And might even save up to buy a gold one to go with the silver one.

Oddly enough, I had a good look at my britannias when I was taking pics earlier.

Whilst the 2013's aren't struck as well as the 2014's, they are nowhere near as bad as you seem to suggest.

I wonder if you got a particularly bad one for some unknown reason.

Stacker since 2013

Just got my 1/4oz Gairsoppa coin through the post this morning (despite the Royal Mint saying shipping begins on the 5th of May) and I gotta say i'm pretty happy with it. It's pretty much the size of a sovereign as we would expect being only 1/4oz. But still, i'm pretty happy. I know I probably overpayed by buying it straight from the mint but IMO i'm glad I bought it.

• Founder & Administrator

Just got my 1/4oz Gairsoppa coin through the post this morning (despite the Royal Mint saying shipping begins on the 5th of May) and I gotta say i'm pretty happy with it. It's pretty much the size of a sovereign as we would expect being only 1/4oz. But still, i'm pretty happy. I know I probably overpayed by buying it straight from the mint but IMO i'm glad I bought it.

Picture please :)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice piece of social history garthy,glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing your enthusiasm on the video :)

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Archived