• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The future of the Perth Mint Lunars

The future of the Perth Mint Lunar.

Is it a good idea to have a third set in a saturated lunar market or take the time and go for a brand new series to replace this old chestnut?

What could either action taken affect the prices of series 1 & 2.

I'm a lunar addict by the way!

Personally I think they should definitely make a third series, Its so popular it would be silly not too. I just hope they dont lower standards of finish (the way of the 10 oz koala)

I think a third series would make series two rise in premium, I cant see series one rising any more, and a lack of third series might make interest slow down in both.

I think kookaburras are the ones to watch. 

not all lunars are created equally.

the key to this series will always be the dragon,

regardless of which animal people actually

belong to. this is due to the dragon having a

special 'emperor' status in chinese thinking.

the dragon also symbolises greatness in other

cultures. if the 2024 dragon fails to impress then

the series will be over. otherwise it should be

business as usual at perth mint.

HH

@ I'd agree MH I'd like to see a 3rd series and would guess there will be one,as a proof collector i'd love to see them introduce 10oz proofs to go with the introduction of a 3rd Lunar series.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

They will make a 3rd Lunar series , But whether it will be as popular I don't know.  If I was them I would be thinking about a different set of coins instead.  Australia is a wonderful country with lots of wildlife, countryside and sea-life. Its the ideal country to make a series of coins like the Lunar series Good quality (not like dangerous animals series) different sizes.  Perth mint could limit mintages of all the size coins so

300,000 for 1oz

10,000 for 10oz

15,000 for 5oz

100,000 for 2oz

250,000 for the 1/2 oz

30,000 for the 1kg

You get what I mean.

Straight to Pipers. You're figures given don't you think that they are quite big considering the number of types of Lunars that buyers have to choose from? I buy in a free market and would have no problem buying 100 of the latest lunar bu, does that not mean over production of sorts. Is this a problem or a blessing ten years down the Line?

Maybe, Perth mint would know how many they could sell. The the kooks have a mintage of 500,000 1oz and sell out or usually get near to that.

I would agree making a coin series low mintages the first 2 years makes sense.

• Founder & Administrator

There is demand, as proved by the declared mintages. So it would be an unwise business deduction not to continue with a 3rd series.

Some people argue that a 3rd series would decrease the value of the first 2 but I believe it would just create more demand as new collectors may want to back date the previous series.

I would like to see a 3rd series, but would like them to reduce the diameter. Similar to what the kookaburras are, I personally prefer the diameter of these.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I don't think they will be too popular Stackem the current 5oz lunar proofs are poor sellers with the exception of the dragon. They look nice coins as well, but 5oz seems to be a coin size that nobody is really interested in, having said that I might treat myself to a 5oz lunar monkey proof when they come out.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Archived