• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Melting gold nuggets in round

cornishrich

6 hours ago, cornishrich said:

As per the title I'm wanting to melt down a little over 1oz of gold nuggets to make into a coin/round . Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of someone that can help cheers richard

Actually, I was thinking about that same question yesterday.

Would you need a licence and who would hall mark it?

@BackyardBullion may be able to point you in the right direction. Last year he made a 1oz bar that was stunning. There were some issues with silver dust/residue if memory serves, but I think that provides a further bit of information/lesson about how careful you must need to be when doing this. I have never melted any PM in my life, so I have zero ideas......sorry.

Incidentally, I watched a video on YouTube the other day of someone in the US breaking down old computers and then dissolving the boards in acid to obtain the gold. It seems like a really long process and quite dangerous without the right equipment, but it did get me thinking that it could be quite interesting to try one day. Like everything though, it is really easy to watch an expert do something and tell yourself 'wow, I could do that'.......

8 hours ago, cornishrich said:

As per the title I'm wanting to melt down a little over 1oz of gold nuggets to make into a coin/round . Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of someone that can help cheers richard

Sounds cool but as nuggets aren’t usually 100% gold, if you want to make a profit at any stage on this you’d do better selling the nuggets individually or by the gram. Are they Cornish nuggets then??

Nuggets themselves sell for a premium on eBay and some members on here might fancy them too?

Instead maybe just buy a gold bar and melt that. Already pure and it will save your some money on melting the nuggets.

Any chance of a YouTube video? This would be a cool process to watch!!! 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Sorry for the slow reply. Around 5 grams are cornish nuggets about 10 grams  are from Wales and the rest is from Scotland. They were my grandfather's who wanted to melt them into a coin/round but sadly he pasted away before getting the chance. That's why I'd like them melted into a coin to remember him. Will dig them out and post a few photos of the nuggets 

Added 0 minutes later...
On 09/05/2020 at 05:18, Tape said:

Corn, do you have the equipment you need at the moment?

Sorry not sure how you mean 

8 hours ago, cornishrich said:

Around 5 grams are cornish nuggets about 10 grams  are from Wales and the rest is from Scotland. They were my grandfather's who wanted to melt them into a coin/round but sadly he pasted away before getting the chance. That's why I'd like them melted into a coin to remember him. Will dig them out and post a few photos of the nuggets 

I love that you're going to get this completed, what a nice memento to have.  

11 minutes ago, GoldenPhil said:

Once it is melted is it possible to distinguish welsh gold from other gold? 

Only by its accent. ;) 

Sorry, carry on!

3 minutes ago, GoldenPhil said:

Once it is melted is it possible to distinguish welsh gold from other gold? 

Probably their would be different characteristics.

This one found last year in Scotland 121 grams is worth £80,000 

TELEMMGLPICT000217951787_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqgjhKaeOMMC79n188U3hJU6czX1cIreECFWLsotMjrpY.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Xander said:

Probably their would be different characteristics.

This one found last year in Scotland 121 grams is worth £80,000 

Could be a new series for the Royal Mint once they have finished with the dinosaurs. Though I guess the Australians have already done this with the nugget........

1 hour ago, Xander said:

This is incredible. 3 grams of Welsh gold sold for £4,000

The big one was £44,000

_98935733_goldcomp.jpg

I assume provenance is crucial to attracting a premium though, so not sure this will be relevant to the OP. 

Archived