• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

So Gold coins it is... But what coins?

ARehmat

So, after asking around and doing some more research I have decided to hold onto my cash for a while longer and continue saving until I can afford to start buying Gold coinage. I have been looking at Half Sovereigns and 1/10 Britannia. In some of the threads that I have been reading I see people reccomending Canadian Maple Leaf coins, Chinese Panda coins and others like them. Is there any reason for going for them over a Half Sovereign other than gold content. Does their year of manufactor and design add to their value? If so, then for a long term investment should I look to get coins based on their actual gold value or  their gold value plus their design? Any specific coins that you would recommend? Just turned 18 and looking to create a investment for my future.

Thanks and stay safe!

Well done for getting into PM's at such a young age.

I think most, if not all, members on here would agree that had they all got into PM's at 18 they would all be "well minted" now.

As @TheApe says, Sovereigns and Half Sovereigns are the absolute best place to start.

All UK gold coins are CGT and VAT free if you live in the UK

I would start with bog standard bullion sovs until you get more experience.

Later you can start to look at coins with more of a collector aspect to them.

Just now, Norskgeld said:

Well done for getting into PM's at such a young age.

I think most, if not all, members on here would agree that had they all got into PM's at 18 they would all be "well minted" now.

As @TheApe says, Sovereigns and Half Sovereigns are the absolute best place to start.

All UK gold coins are CGT and VAT free if you live in the UK

I would start with bog standard bullion sovs until you get more experience.

Later you can start to look at coins with more of a collector aspect to them.

Thank you very much. Half Sovereigns seem like the way forward for me at the moment. What would you say the cheapest way of buying Buillion Grade Sovereigns and Half Sovereigns are?

http://goldprice.eu5.net/

Use this guide to find cheapest coins.

Online dealers, this Forum and London Coin Fair are what I use.

Others use E-bay but it is a minefield.

You will generally get a better deal on a Full Sov than a Half Sov because of a lower premium but I also favour Half Sovs as they are within my monthly budget and are really easy to sell quickly.

I've only just started stacking/collecting in the last month and have acquired silver QB's and various silver & gold bars.. but I'm also considering dabbling in sovereigns as I've seen that they are always good sellers. I wasn't sure where to start due to the vast amount of different coins, dates etc.. but will follow the helpful advice from here on the forum and from the replies on this post. 

3 hours ago, ARehmat said:

So, after asking around and doing some more research I have decided to hold onto my cash for a while longer and continue saving until I can afford to start buying Gold coinage. I have been looking at Half Sovereigns and 1/10 Britannia. In some of the threads that I have been reading I see people reccomending Canadian Maple Leaf coins, Chinese Panda coins and others like them. Is there any reason for going for them over a Half Sovereign other than gold content. Does their year of manufactor and design add to their value? If so, then for a long term investment should I look to get coins based on their actual gold value or  their gold value plus their design? Any specific coins that you would recommend? Just turned 18 and looking to create a investment for my future.

Thanks and stay safe!

The best investment for your future is a pension, starting at your age would if returns are normal double your pension comparred to starting at 25...gold and silver are nice but idnot put allmy eggs in that basket, pension first, after home of course but the first rule id say is intrinsic beats everything, always get calue for money thatwayyoull never end up with a garage of stuff worth nothing, folliw those rules from now and youll never waste away your future or retirement.

1 hour ago, Norskgeld said:

http://goldprice.eu5.net/

Use this guide to find cheapest coins.

Online dealers, this Forum and London Coin Fair are what I use.

Others use E-bay but it is a minefield.

You will generally get a better deal on a Full Sov than a Half Sov because of a lower premium but I also favour Half Sovs as they are within my monthly budget and are really easy to sell quickly.

This seems to be the advice of most of the members here. I am probably going to wait out for a week or so to see which way things go with the market and make a decision.  If I do buy then it will be some half sovereigns as they are more affordable. Thanks for the help!

3 hours ago, ARehmat said:

Just turned 18 and looking to create a investment for my future.

from such a young age, it's likely the preparation for your journey

that will separate what you have from others.

HH

15 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

from such a young age, it's likely the preparation for your journey

that will separate what you have from others.

HH

Thanks! I do alot of camping and hiking trips. Lots of people turn up in trainers and shorts and then complain about the cold. I always tell them "if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail". 

Hi @ARehmat that’s a very wise move. I wish I’d started stacking when I was 18!! 

I’d stick with sovereigns, both half and full sovereigns, there is also a fascinating history behind them that also interests me. Different mintages, different monarchs, the most easily available are Victoria, George V and Elizabeth II but other monarch sovereigns are available.

Also there is a big variation of different mint locations from London, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, South Africa, Canada and India (1918 only) for the latter.

I also have a few 1/10 oz Britannia’s and whilst I like that they are 24ct, sovereigns are 22ct. I like the 1/10oz gold Britannia’s but they are quite small. Always remember that when working out the price of gold coins, take into consideration the carat of the gold.

Good luck and good for you making a start, we all have to start somewhere.

1 hour ago, DarkChameleon said:

The best investment for your future is a pension, starting at your age would if returns are normal double your pension comparred to starting at 25...gold and silver are nice but idnot put allmy eggs in that basket, pension first, after home of course but the first rule id say is intrinsic beats everything, always get calue for money thatwayyoull never end up with a garage of stuff worth nothing, folliw those rules from now and youll never waste away your future or retirement.

With all due respect, the OP never asked for financial advice around alternative investments, he specifically asked about gold.

Don't underestimate the gold deals you can get, right here on the forum. Have a look at some of the completed listings to get an idea of what has been bought, sold and traded.

I have picked up 95% of my sovereigns and half sovereigns from forum members, just veering to grab the occasional Harrington & Byrne deal as they come up. In almost all cases I was able to buy at spot, never going more than 1-2 percent over.

It is really worth upgrading to Premium Membership, to get early access to any deals.

10 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Don't underestimate the gold deals you can get, right here on the forum. Have a look at some of the completed listings to get an idea of what has been bought, sold and traded.

I have picked up 95% of my sovereigns and half sovereigns from forum members, just veering to grab the occasional Harrington & Byrne deal as they come up. In almost all cases I was able to buy at spot, never going more than 1-2 percent over.

It is really worth upgrading to Premium Membership, to get early access to any deals.

Very true, my only issue is that with me being out of the country at the moment if I order from a member and their is some sort of issue with delivery or payment then I am in a difficult position. I'll probably hold out untill I return to the UK unless a really good deal comes up. Quick question, never purchased gold/silver before. How does delivery usually work?

2 minutes ago, ARehmat said:

How does delivery usually work?

Here on the forum, that's between you and the seller to agree. Please note the following excerpt from the  Quickstart Guide:

Insurance - sending precious metals items in the UK
Just so everyone is aware, the standard £50 insurance on Royal Mail signed for does not cover precious metals items such as coins etc as they are classed as money. Please send via Royal Mail special delivery if you would like your items insured, they will be insured by default up to £500 but you can increase this if needed. Sellers please also clarify in your listing who assumes responsibility if item is sent by an uninsured delivery service and lost (It is assumed that the buyer assumes responsibility as they are choosing the shipping method, but it is also good idea to state this in your listing) Information correct as far as we are aware and at time of writing, however it is advisable to check on the Royal Mail website. https://www.royalmail.com

1 hour ago, TheApe said:

With all due respect, the OP never asked for financial advice around alternative investments, he specifically asked about gold.

He said he hadnt started yet, inst it wiseto advice when peoplewant to start that there is a place for collecting or stashing ...i started young but i didnt put everything into gold, ihave advised my son too, pensions are wise but he started at 19, hes 25 now and his pension is there for him in 4 years with a certain safe increase that his gold or silver wont be..i know cos im the one holding it all, all my stuff is his and our daughters, he will have at least four pensions...i think they will outweigh my stash and the houses value when we both pop our clogs....pension first.

I would like to add that I did not say that I was investing in gold and silver only. Thank you to all those who advised. No offence take to those who jumped to conclusions about my plans. :)

Unless buying from a reputable dealer, make sure you have the ability to test your purchase to make sure it is real and for now, stay away from ebay. When you get back, try Hatton Gardens Metal or Sharps Pixley etc as I see you are in London

1 minute ago, Oldun said:

Unless buying from a reputable dealer, make sure you have the ability to test your purchase to make sure it is real and for now, stay away from ebay. When you get back, try Hatton Gardens Metal or Sharps Pixley etc as I see you are in London

Good idea. If I was to buy from here then how should I check for authenticity?

Welcome to the forum! I think the earlier advice re a pension was excellent. If you can do that, make sure it’s set up as you can arrange a plan that takes from your salary pre tax. Make the most of what the government allows in law!

If you cannot stretch to a sov or half with your allocated spending then have a separate savings account that you can feed that money into until it is enough. 

Also, every time you go near a Nero or Costa, resist the urge and grab your smart phone and transfer the £2.50 or whatever to your account. I’ve bought coins from my ‘coffee’ account and I can tell you it’s a beautiful feeling.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Welcome to the forum! I think the earlier advice re a pension was excellent. If you can do that, make sure it’s set up as you can arrange a plan that takes from your salary pre tax. Make the most of what the government allows in law!

If you cannot stretch to a sov or half with your allocated spending then have a separate savings account that you can feed that money into until it is enough. 

Also, every time you go near a Nero or Costa, resist the urge and grab your smart phone and transfer the £2.50 or whatever to your account. I’ve bought coins from my ‘coffee’ account and I can tell you it’s a beautiful feeling.

Good luck!

Excellent idea with the coffee money! 

Archived