• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Matt BU Sovereign has been released

Zhorro

The 2020 matt BU sov has a max mintage: 12000
(compared to 
2020 Proof sov max mintage: 9905)

Whereas the 2019 matt BU sov (same price) has a max mintage: 25000
https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/sovereign/the-sovereign-2019-brilliant-uncirculated/

..and achieved 77% NGC MS70 grades
https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/great-britain-decimal-1968-to-date/sc-350/1sov/?c=1670

5 hours ago, arcglide said:

The 2020 matt BU sov has a max mintage: 12000
(compared to 
2020 Proof sov max mintage: 9905)

Whereas the 2019 matt BU sov (same price) has a max mintage: 25000
https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/sovereign/the-sovereign-2019-brilliant-uncirculated/

..and achieved 77% NGC MS70 grades
https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/great-britain-decimal-1968-to-date/sc-350/1sov/?c=1670

I think that's the right step in terms of mintage as the 2019 hasn't sold out, and it's closer to the proof.

A bit off topic but out of interest, what was the original price of the 2019? Wasn't it £365?

5 minutes ago, kimchi said:

A bit off topic but out of interest, what was the original price of the 2019? Wasn't it £365?

..ah yes, the 2019 matt BU sov was originally £365 (I paid £355 from CoinConnection) before the recent RM price increase

7 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I think that's the right step in terms of mintage as the 2019 hasn't sold out, and it's closer to the proof.

Yeah £365, just checked my receipt.

6 minutes ago, arcglide said:

..ah yes, the 2019 matt BU sov was originally £365 (I paid £355 from CoinConnection) before the recent RM price increase

6 minutes ago, terakris said:

Yeah £365, just checked my receipt.

I thought that was a lot at the time, but it's not looking too shabby at all now I don't think!

The first modern Matt, then the Viccy and Albert, now this one. OK it's a bit contrived and it's not for me, but rather a nice little set of the four in 70s I'm sure :)

52 minutes ago, kimchi said:

The first modern Matt, then the Viccy and Albert, now this one.

Watering down good things 

I'm surprised they didn't do a normal BU and save the cypher for a smaller mintage 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

4 hours ago, Kman said:

I'm surprised they didn't do a normal BU and save the cypher for a smaller mintage 

Exactly my thoughts. Should have issued the cypher on a 600 mintage BU to mirror the Victoria/Albert.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

36 minutes ago, 1817Karl said:

Does the 2020 Matte Sovereign devalue the Victoria & Albert celebration Sovereigns? Not as unique now...

A little, they're still unique full sovereigns with small mintages and plain edges to help differentiate them though 

Personally I was turned off by the Albert one, but not many other people seemed to mind so I'm the minority 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

12 hours ago, 1817Karl said:

Does the 2020 Matte Sovereign devalue the Victoria & Albert celebration Sovereigns? Not as unique now...

I hope not. I was fearing the release of a matt BU in 2020. It would have been special if it was limited to 2019. Now it looks to be the norm going forward for the annual BU...

I think there will be a strike on the day on 29 January, which is the date of the death of George III. Price is likely to be £550.

26 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

And then next year will celebrate the beginning of the reign of George IV with another privy and another SotD?

There’s no end to this, is there!

It's 'a bit' much really isn't it? :wacko:

I don't have any of them but if I did in the short term I would be very cross with/concerned about the Mint messing around with these so much.

Time will hopefully see them be a roaring success, but I don't see the coming generations being so passionate about these (for us) modern coins as so many folk here are about older coins.

That said, I still think the V&A twin 'set' and the first modern one are the ones to have. But, who knows, perhaps later ones that people (us!) got tired of at the time will be comparatively rarer and more desirable to complete the 'whole set' (?).

Tldr; I don't have a blinking clue and I don't think the Mint does either!

6 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

I hope not. I was fearing the release of a matt BU in 2020. It would have been special if it was limited to 2019. Now it looks to be the norm going forward for the annual BU...

I think there will be a strike on the day on 29 January, which is the date of the death of George III. Price is likely to be £550.

Well if the only difference is going to be a plain edge, RM are taking the piss. But if they made the mintage to 81 coins in respect to his age. That would be a game changer 🤣 

9 hours ago, kimchi said:

Tldr; I don't have a blinking clue and I don't think the Mint does either!

Never mind the RM not having a clue, I don’t think they care. Because any long-term value of their coins, especially appreciation, does not benefit them.

As an example, the fact that the 2 Oz gold Una is selling for almost £20,000 does nothing to their profit margins anymore.

So the RM will keep churning out as many coins as they can and market them for immediate profit.

And as long as there are takers, they’ll keep giving 🙂

Re the price of Matte BUs, yeah the original RM price of £365 or whatever seems like a steal in comparison to the updated £450.  But the original price itself was too high and especially now given it is no longer a unique 2019 phenomenon, no one’s gonna fork out £450 on the secondary market to get these. The fact 2019 is a “first year” doesn’t really matter imo because every year has seen a “first” of something in recent years. 🙁

21 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Re the price of Matte BUs, yeah the original RM price of £365 or whatever seems like a steal in comparison to the updated £450.  But the original price itself was too high and especially now given it is no longer a unique 2019 phenomenon, no one’s gonna fork out £450 on the secondary market to get these. The fact 2019 is a “first year” doesn’t really matter imo because every year has seen a “first” of something in recent years. 🙁

One can pick up the 2019 matt BU at BBP for £382... not a bad deal, given the gold price rise (it used to be £365 a week or so ago...).

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-coins/full-sovereign-gold-coin/sovereign-2019-brilliant-uncirculated/

Archived