• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Venting - Royal Mail Thieves

Unfortunately, this has happened to me. I received a parcel with a noticeable hole. It was obvious that someone had punctured the parcel with their finger and searched its contents. Fortunately, the item in question - an empty coin tube - was too big to be pulled out of the parcel through the finger-sized hole.

I once bought ten 1oz coins and the seller dispatched them in the coin tube alone, no jiffy bag, no parcel tape. Nothing

The only thing securing the lid was the sticker that gets put on it at the post office. Other than that it was blatantly obvious it was a tube of silver coins

Couldnt believe it when they turned up, luckily it hadnt been tampered with.

Sorry about your situation, anything i send, silver or not, has robust packaging. My friend used to work at UK Mail and he told me some wild stories. 

Id rather be down £2-£3 on extra packaging costs than be down £200-£300 on a valuable item.

Hopefully you work something out.

I have had those scumbags steal the contents of several parcels over the years, my mate received one in a plastic bag, it said that it had got caught in one of their machines and was there anything of value in side, I said did their machines open parcels with a facking razor blade because it had been perfectly sliced open along where it opened.

This video is a real eye opener, seems to be a pattern to the thieves.

4 hours ago, KDave said:

Yeah they can play that game if they want - proof of sale determines the items value not proof of purchase. With guaranteed delivery they ask what the value of the item is and you insure up to that value - if you can prove that value with a sales receipt how can they not pay out?

What would small claims court say about it? 

I do remember claiming a few years ago, not SD I might add, and they asked for it's value and the ebay item number, which they eventually paid.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Had it happen twice in one weeks time...here is an example of one of the packages...The package looked completely intact, no overt malicious cuts or tears from the outside. Opened the package with one cut of the package at the top. Resultant inside packaging had been cut into, both layers. The coin removed from the coin holder and holder replaced. Upon closer inspection, looking from the inside of the outer packaging you can see where the package was cut and taped over externally with Ebay tape. I was fully refunded from both malicious thievings. 

2138F21C-4FB1-4B80-B734-0347851B7FA9.thumb.jpeg.7e597d9667f22634eed34d399b178033.jpeg

67E25C33-9433-4DC4-811F-339F84A86B0D.thumb.jpeg.062ab8826bd18345e5b6089d0f011467.jpeg

9B918A50-EE9D-4D7F-8EE1-92F2869E2F9B.thumb.jpeg.9006a64b35aef2d1bc22fee68f101225.jpeg

It's not just the privatised royal mail or the US post. I ordered a 500 euro ww1 medal 2 years ago around Christmas time and the fedex delivery man just left it on the mat outside my front door even though it needed a signature. Obviously it was stolen but I had my money back from the seller instantly who claimed it all from fedex 

I always insist on using RM SD, a few pounds more i know but certainly the best option and a little peace of mind. 

The Dispatches program is a real shocker. The lack of vetting for people delivering your mail is a disaster waiting to happen. 

The best damaged parcel I received was a jiffy bag with bubble wrapped bottles of turpentine, linseed oil and the like that had somehow partially opened in the mail and a bottle of turps had been damaged and was almost empty.  The whole parcel was soaking and stinking of turps.  Why it wasn't removed from the system and bagged I have no idea but a lot of people's mail must have been stinking of turps that day.

I have had parcels, even s.d from atkinsons going missing but never opened and goods removed iirc.  The times I've had parcels missing coins they haven't been sent in the first place and I usually get a replacement in my next order.

Archived