• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2oz Queens beasts spotting

motorbikez

Hi Guys,

I was going to collect 2 full sets of these in MS 69 & 70 but I'm just going for 1 set now due to spotting.

What I'd like to know from anyone who collects these in raw form or slabbed what is your experience re spotting. This is my experience with them I'm only mentioning the ones I've had grief with or to be precise my good & patient friend in the US who gives them the once over for me.

One Lion returned then received a good one, One Falcon returned then received a good one.Three Griffins returned then got a good one.

I have noticed ones for sale in the UK & US with spots & sellers don't even mention it. Are they that bad that some collectors just think b--locks I'll have it anyway.

Lets hear your thoughts & experiences with these frustrating coins.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

23 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

I have noticed ones for sale in the UK & US with spots & sellers don't even mention it. Are they that bad that some collectors just think b--locks I'll have it anyway

Pretty much lol 😂 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

1 hour ago, 5huggy said:

are we talking the BU 2 ounce or bullion - basically the same in my understanding!?

Yes pal they are the same.

2 hours ago, MickD said:

Gave up on them personally.

I nearly did as well but now I'm determined to get one full set of good ones with no spots.

@5huggy  Don't get them graded yourself pal, its far cheaper to buy them graded, these coins do NOT grade well so it is a rarity if you actually get a good one

Don’t bother with royal mint due to spotting.    Collect Somalia elephant 1kg coins, they will spot also but that are fantastic while clean but fully expect them to spot.    They don’t have that much of a premium so not worried either way.      Also had pandas that’s spot

17 hours ago, MickD said:

Still a nice series and I do get tempted by the graded ones.  It's only the potential for spotting that puts me off.

Its a fabulous series & the reason I buy the graded ones over raw is because the 69 & 70s have no dings or bashes in them from clattering in tubes & in my case I buy them with no spotting either.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as a coin is scratch free i really don't care about MINOR spotting or toning. Is a slabbed MS70 coin still a 70 if spotting developments ? Genuine question as i have no experience with slabbed coins - to me encapsulating a coin in plastic seems a waste of money.

I ordered a couple of The Lion of England coins from RM and they arrived with a flaw - the 'G' of England has a divot inside it on both coins - i can only assume that a flake of silver must 've stuck to the die. I kept them because i liked the thought of owning RM errors.

Archived