• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Half sovereigns, what would you pay?

Foster88

Hi all, 

I’ve been offered the following and with the recent hike in the gold price I’ve been asked to make an offer but I don’t know what is a reasonable offer to make. 

Its is for: 

1 x 1892 Half sovereign (Sheild).

1 x 1988 Half sovereign (Presumably proof). Can anyone advise as I’ve only seen photos?

What do I offer? given that these two are worth more than standard bullion.

The person selling these has in excess of 80 half sovereigns that he is looking to sell.

Any advice would be welcome as i’d very much like to buy them. 

1 minute ago, Foster88 said:

This is the thing, I’ve only seen photographs of the two coins and many others which is why I got a choice and I chose those two but I have no idea what to offer apart from their weight in gold. 😕

Well start with "SPOT" price to gauge if he's after cash in a rush! then work your way to a middle ground

Please don't rely  on some of the stupid prices that can be seen on ebay  et al as they are what they are advertised for NOT what they get!

either way for a 1/2 sovereign by weight 1988  around £300

and from the pics ive just seen the 1892 Half sovereign looks a little "under the weather" - so I would say about £190 ish 

but im NOT the top sovereign expert here on this forum by any means @sovereignsteve is probably able to give you a better idea

17 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

a bullion grade 1892 half (common) around £180

proof 1988 half, if FDC in box, £180 - 190

Thanks for your reply. 

I’ve been offered the 1892 half sovereign for £160 and the 1988 half sovereign (not boxed) for £180. 

He also has a 1887 shield half sovereign, not sure if they’re rarer than the 1892 for £160.  

So this seems like a good offer?

41 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

Thanks for your reply. 

I’ve been offered the 1892 half sovereign for £160 and the 1988 half sovereign (not boxed) for £180. 

He also has a 1887 shield half sovereign, not sure if they’re rarer than the 1892 for £160.  

So this seems like a good offer?

the 1892 is ok even if a little rough. i wouldn't pay £180 for a 1988 half unless well graded.

1887 halves are interesting coins, very scarce compared to an 1892, lots of variations and well sought after.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

19 hours ago, 5huggy said:

depending on the grade/condition @Foster88the 1892 could be about 250 to 310

the 1988 1/2 could be around 250/60 again depends on grade   -IMHO

What you offer is relative to the grade 

I'd be happy to sell my half sovereigns for those prices to you. Although I think you'd be the only person daft enough to pay them. 

I'd never pay 76% + over spot for a half sovereign, and I don't know many who would. ;)

1 hour ago, HighlandTiger said:

I'd be happy to sell my half sovereigns for those prices to you. Although I think you'd be the only person daft enough to pay them. 

I'd never pay 76% + over spot for a half sovereign, and I don't know many who would. ;)

OK smarty pants - I got caught out! - - it was late and I miss read  as "SOVEREIGN" 

rats doo doo - i didn't see the "other arf"!

To be fair, Marsh does cite £300 for the 1892 half Sov (granted EF, which this one most likely is not) but for a little more accuracy, @sovereignsteve, was a bit more on target with Spink’s assessment as BV, Bullion value. Concur with @Xander, going in with %age lower ask...don’t go higher than spot price. I would go so far to say that older common half Sovs, unless rare numismatics, are going to go for Bullion costs, to even include the common modern proofs.

3 hours ago, Martlet said:

If there is 80 i'm surprised no one suggest a group buy or bulk sale of some sort be arranged.

He does have a large quantity to sell and has them advertised as £155 each for one but I enquirerd about specific years hence what he offered to me. 

Thanks all for your replies. The knowledge on this group is great. 

So he’d like £340 for both the 1887 and 1988 half sovereign. Obviously over bullion price but a good investment. I just hope I don’t regret this one.

Am I mad to pay this? Or £155 each for standard run of the mill bullion half sovereigns. I can’t find them cheaper than this apart from the 2019 half for £149.99 and I much prefer the older ones.

Decisions, decisons. 🤔

The maxim "Stack what you like, and like what you stack" is a very good one, and worth bearing in mind whenever contemplating an acquisition.......

Only speaking personally @Foster88 , but I would find it hard to "like" the above-mentioned coins at the prices the seller is wanting.....

3 hours ago, Foster88 said:

Thanks all for your replies. The knowledge on this group is great. 

So he’d like £340 for both the 1887 and 1988 half sovereign. Obviously over bullion price but a good investment. I just hope I don’t regret this one.

Am I mad to pay this? Or £155 each for standard run of the mill bullion half sovereigns. I can’t find them cheaper than this apart from the 2019 half for £149.99 and I much prefer the older ones.

Decisions, decisons. 🤔

Personally I would never pay much over spot, but the way gold is going those prices could be under spot in a week or two. So if YOU are happy at that price, then I'd say go for it. 

Thanks all for your advice. 

I made up my mind in the end and received the 1887 & 1892 shield half sovereigns today and I’m surprised they are slightly better quality than I imagined.

I have no idea how to grade them but they seem like good coins. 

C2AB8476-4F99-44B2-9257-F5DF31CBD065.jpeg

FC3A0A77-F30B-441E-B40A-40F346A37C4F.jpeg

Archived