• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver stacking or silver collecting

Tickety

Hi All,

I have noticed that there are a lot of people on here that have some beautiful silver. I am just wondering if there are people on here that just stack silver bullion?

I don't have a very large stack but for years I have just stacked for weight, really bog standard stuff, pre 1947 UK coins, various bars, silver eagles, etc. I will still continue to collect this sort of stuff, but of late I have been looking at some of the more decorative stuff. I am not a flipper, so not trying to turn over silver, but I think it might be nice to have a small collection of something on the more decorative side. Has anyone got any recommendations? I was thinking about some of the queen's beats, the 10oz coins look fantastic. I have.just dipped my toe in the water and just bought some of the 2oz queen's beasts.

Does this mean I am now a collector or do all stackers eventually find something  they want to collect?

Andy 

I think the terminology doesn't really matter so much. Afterall going stricly by actual definitions you could consider silver stackers as collectors of silver.

I think its important to enjoy what you buy. I mostly stack/collect/accumulate generic Canadian bullion (mostly maples) or Canadian 80% silver coins when I can get them as close to spot as possible. I choose those things because I like them. I stick with them because I am very comfortable with them and find spotting fakes easy - not they I've yet seen anyone faking generic Canadian 80% coins but pleny of fake maples out there.

Every now and then I'll buy a proof coin that catches my eye and is at the right price. I won't spend too much money on these but if I like them and the value proposition is attractive I will buy them. I should note these purchases are on the secondary market and not new from one of the mints. With most proofs if you wait long enough you can snap them up cheap.

If you like some of the beasts buy them. I would personally avoid the ones that are inflated in price as I think those aren't going to be good in the long term but any that are current releases look good value for money to me.

I like the Elemental Mint's 2 ounce "Privateer" pirate series. And also the 5 ounce Alphonse Mucha "art nouveau" style antiqued rounds.

These always go for a high premium but if you want some nice looking, non-standard bullion silver, that's usually unavoidable.

1-oz-antique-mucha-collection-champagne-silver-round-rev1.jpg

Privateer_--_6_Coin_Set_for_website_1024x1024.webp

89616_Obv.jpg

89616_Slab.jpg

I remember BYB presented 3D Britannia statue made of silver and I was very tempted to buy it. Premium was huge but that is what i call collectible item. As for PM that is just a vessel for my savings for me.   

I just but the most commen investment coins like krugerrand/philharmoniks/eagles/maple leaf. 

Its an investment for when the next recession sets in. The plan is to sell it all if prices go up. 

The only thing i collect and Will keep, is a 1967 gold krugerrand, the first year they started making Them. Not many of thoose around :)

I stack for weight, couldn't care less what they are or who makes them. Cheaper the better. I know nothing about coin collecting, and don't really want to. Too fickle for my liking.
The only coins/rounds that have appealed to me are the Komsco ones. Buying those is incidental, and not an investment, and nothing to do with my stacking exercise.

I buy what i like for the purpose of collecting but if i really like a coin i'll buy several. I'll then sell the extras at a later date - could be a year, could be a decade later. In this way i have a nice collection the cost of which has been reduced or off-set by any profits i make on my extras.

It doesn't always work out that i make a profit from my 'extras' but i've been doing this for a while now and can usually spot a coin that will appreciate in value. I cant recall ever selling silver at a loss..Thers's no secret to that other than being prepared to hold silver for as long as needed. Most people have similar tastes in what makes a coin desirable.

I guess that makes me a collector/flipper rather than a stacker.

With silver I'm a bit of a hybrid (gold I just go for low premiums compared to the spot/size) - I try to go with lowest price/Oz but keep seeing pretty things with a higher premium!
I do like to have a variety of different designs so often go for lots of different but slightly higher premium bullion (e.g. incuse maple, perth mint dragons, valiants, oriental borders) rather than tubes of Britannias/ASEs/Maples.

I do have to be strict on myself to avoid going "full-collector", as I do have that trait - I had a short dalliance with Pop! Vinyls due to a brother-in-laws obsession with them but managed to flog off a bunch of them at high profit when I worked out their "melt value" was a blob of plastic and that bubble will certainly burst at some point!

I have mostly weight and just a few seminumismatic or numistmatic coins. I really like the Rwandan dog and I will pick up a few more Maria Theresien Thalers, not the modern bullion or the offical restriks after 1780 I think is the cut off year for restrikes but older ones.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/LANZ-Ungarn-Osterreich-Maria-Theresia-Taler-1742-KB-Kremnitz-Silber-PR40/372730042975?hash=item56c8711a5f:g:bcUAAOSwTm1dRahk

I don’t really know how I’d describe myself, a collector is probably the best. It all started when I bought a Britannia for the christening of my god daughter last November.

I have one rule, any coin or bar must have the Queens head or the word royal on it. The Royal Canadian Mint being my favourite. The one hundredth unit arrived this morning, courtesy of @Martysmith

All that said, I’m on the lookout for a US Strategic Reserve bar, something that has some patina and looks a bit “knocked about”. (A bit like me I suppose.)

21 hours ago, Michal said:

I remember BYB presented 3D Britannia statue made of silver and I was very tempted to buy it. Premium was huge but that is what i call collectible item. As for PM that is just a vessel for my savings for me.   

If money or premium didn't matter, I'd be sorely tempted to get one. It's one kilo of silver.   I'd also get the Mexican Victoria statue.  They're from JM Bullion.

Britannia-Silver-Statue_front.jpg

Britannia-Silver-Statue_back.jpg

12-oz-Antique-Finish-Mexican-Libertad-Silver-Statue-2.jpg

12-oz-Antique-Finish-Mexican-Libertad-Silver-Statue-3.jpg

I started stacking for weight, just bought generic bars. Then fakes were popping up. Got concerned because some were bought on a major online auction site, that the fakes were acquired. Sold them all to a local coin shop under spot. I decided to buy just American Silver Eagles. The premium was more, but when you'd sell, they paid $1 over spot and very few fakes were reported. I've always liked the maples beauty and the 9999 purity over 999 ASEs. The LCS pays spot for the maples. The other day browsing silver government coins at the LCS. A Brittania caught my eye from the beauty and shiney silver on it. So went online because the LCS gouges on premiums. I saw for the first time 9999 silver Queens Beasts, love at first sight! I went all in, got the seven 2oz QB that are currently available and the display box. Just was able to get two 10oz QB due to my budget. Got the red dragon and unicorn. My main stack is ASEs, but now I'm collecting the Queens Beasts for the pleasure. They rekindled my enthusiasm for silver, the ASEs look dull comparatively. So I guess I'm a stacker and collector.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started with the idea of stacking for weight. However, some coins are just too beautiful. The Libertads are what is easier for me to get locally, and I love that they come in a variety of weights/sizes, so the urge to collect is kicking in and now I would like to have at least one of each size, with my stack consisting mainly of 1oz coins.

I also want to get into gold as soon as I can, and of course, have several pieces on my wish list. Plus there are some series that have the coolness factor and some are so pretty, so yeah, weight, but can't resist collecting.

12 minutes ago, verorl said:

I just started with the idea of stacking for weight. However, some coins are just too beautiful.

I find this, along with my desire for variety, the main factor behind me not just ordering tubes of Nuie Athenian Owls (usually the cheapest to acquire for me).

I devote my stacks to where I buy things I love. This year I'm particularly fond of the 2019 Kookaburra, so I'll buy four of the 10 ounce coins. Three of them will never be sold, one I'll be willing to part with at some time. I basically do the same with everything else so if I have 15 2018 Korean Tigers, 10 of them will never leave the safe. Five I'll be willing to sell one day if I have to .I buy Maples, Britannias and Kangaroos. I'm willing to sell all of them at the right time. I also buy ten ounce bars for pure stacking so I don't have to sell the Maples, Britannias or Kangaroos.

I figure doing it this way allows me to be the most efficient and allows for the best opportunity to get a strong ROI. The bars and standard  national bullion coins are like a line of defense from keeping me from ever selling what I truly love. The bars a defense from ever selling the standard national bullion coins.

In this way I stack and collect.

Archived