• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver face values

ady

Hi Silveries,

I do not want to sound like a broken record, having asked about the face value ratios inbetween gold and silver in different nations.

Having been a junk and one ounce round buyer I have recently bought some beasts and see the 2oz face value £5 and the 10oz is £10 (not £25) or an equivalent per weight. Is this discrepancy common when buying sets of coins that are released in different weights of the same metal. I appreciate I am investing in the weight but these ratios are annoying me.

Ady

It's a weird one, isn't it? I read once that the face value is there as a kind of guaranteed floor value if for example the value of the metal plummeted. But the enormous difference between the face value and the actual bullion worth makes that seem unlikely to ever come into play.

Most of the sites I checked mention a face value as being important to classify the coin as legal tender and therefore CGT exempt - all fine and dandy until you notice the Sovereign doesn't have a face value, so there goes that theory! As a base metal coin collector I'll also point out that pre-1990 Crowns were (and are) legal tender but also missing a face value.

I'd love to hear the definitive answer if anybody knows it, at least for the situation here in the UK ?

21 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

So what happens say in 20 years when £2 will probably buy you the equivelant of a packet of crisps.

i think you will find a better quality packet of crisps is already £2 - no need to wait 20 years.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Crisps/Kettle_Chips_Lightly_Salted_150g.html?TrackingCode=AQEDAAE.hfPamvKN9kulqEeIZ5q6eA

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

A face value is put on the silver pieces to make them coins - coins are legal tender. There was a discussion sometime ago about a Republic of Ghana African Leopard coin where there had been a mistake in the face value and too high a value had been put on the coin - it was more than the value of the silver.

A value is put on the coins to make them coins - it doesn't reflect the value of the silver or gold. It is just a value for legal reasons. The 1oz Britannia is £2. The QB coin should be £4 and the 10oz should be £20 - but we know these amounts aren't applied using the £2/oz guide of the Britannia. So there is no logic even if the £2 value on an ounce started out logically.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2 hours ago, sixgun said:

A face value is put on the silver pieces to make them coins - coins are legal tender.

Sixgun is right here, it's the difference between a coin and a round.

Think of it like a mark of purity, except instead of informing about the purity it informs about its legal status as currency.

6 hours ago, sixgun said:

i think you will find a better quality packet of crisps is already £2 - no need to wait 20 years.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Crisps/Kettle_Chips_Lightly_Salted_150g.html?TrackingCode=AQEDAAE.hfPamvKN9kulqEeIZ5q6eA

I wouldnt pay that for them, they are only £1 a huge bag at my local super, I was on about the small 28g bags.

Oh, and to add something to my post above, I assume you were asking about why coin values are put on bullion coins, and not junk, since junk coin values are obvious.

With U.S. junk, the weight of the coins is directly related to its face value for most 90% silver.  So, for example, a 50 cent piece weighs 5x as much as a 10 cent piece.  And you can add the face value up to arrive at troy ounce weight - 1.40$us face value is approx 1 troy ounce in 90% silver.

Sovereign for a long time were used as legal tender and with no face value. Nothing was perceived unusual a about this and worked out just fine. 

People just knew what it was worth and used then. Today we know what they are worth but don't use them and have a  nominal value of £1 i believe. 

• 1 month later...
On 24/09/2018 at 02:16, Flobberchops said:

It's a weird one, isn't it? I read once that the face value is there as a kind of guaranteed floor value if for example the value of the metal plummeted. But the enormous difference between the face value and the actual bullion worth makes that seem unlikely to ever come into play.

Most of the sites I checked mention a face value as being important to classify the coin as legal tender and therefore CGT exempt - all fine and dandy until you notice the Sovereign doesn't have a face value, so there goes that theory! As a base metal coin collector I'll also point out that pre-1990 Crowns were (and are) legal tender but also missing a face value.

I'd love to hear the definitive answer if anybody knows it, at least for the situation here in the UK ?

Sovereign's have a face value of £1 and commemorative crowns have a face value of 25pence

A forum member was selling fairly recently the WWII silver series of commemorative coins with a face value of £20 for £16 I think.
Cannot spend them in the shops though despite showing Lizzie and legit coin stuff making them look like real money.
I believe when the RM first issued them they were deemed legal tender but then backfired so the RM instructed the banks not to accept.

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

A forum member was selling fairly recently the WWII silver series of commemorative coins with a face value of £20 for £16 I think.
Cannot spend them in the shops though despite showing Lizzie and legit coin stuff making them look like real money.
I believe when the RM first issued them they were deemed legal tender but then backfired so the RM instructed the banks not to accept.

But i seem to remember the RM would buy them back for £20.

56 minutes ago, sixgun said:

But i seem to remember the RM would buy them back for £20.

Maybe when they were first issued after their mis-description and only with an original receipt purchased from them.
Probably only get 90% of scrap value if they bought them back today which would be less than £6 each.

Then you need to keep it in case you have a bill you need legal tender for.

Archived