• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How do you store your NGC / PCGS coins?

Hello all, i am quite new here with coins in NGC / PCGS holders. How do you store you NGC / PCGS coins? Any additional zipper / ziploc bags needed to keep out air and other contaminants?

Cheers.

I am also new to collecting and so I had this problem not so long ago. 

I saw that you can buy plastic boxes by NGC or PCGS that hold 20 slabbed coins.  I bought an NGC box and then discovered that whilst the NGC slabs fit nicely in the box, the PCGS slabs would not go in!  There seemed to be an extra ridge causing this problem.  Anyway after a trip to the local DIY store where I bought a chisel, I was able to remove the offending ridges and now both NGC and PCGS slabs fit in the NGC box.  I do not know if both types of slabs would fit in the PCGS box.

I have not used any other wrappers around the slabs as I have assumed that the slabs are airtight - but I suppose you might want something to protect the slabs from being scratched especially if they are just kept loose.

51 minutes ago, Zhorro said:
52 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

but I suppose you might want something to protect the slabs from being scratched especially if they are just kept loose.

Especially if you’re using a chisel on them....😀

While the blue colour PCGS box fits nicely the PCGS holder, it doesnt fit the NGC holder. The box lid cannot close when NGC holder is in it.

I saw some forum member customizing wooden boxes for capsuled coins, perhaps an idea to customize one for universal NGC & PCGS holders 😉

@ Martlet, thanks for the tips on the anti tarnish strip and silica packs.

I mainly grade with PCGS but also have some NGC so i have both boxes, saves messing about with chisels !! Maybe over time as your collection grows you will end up with enough of both types of graded coins to justify this. The NGC box is slightly longer than the PCGS and you can also buy boxes from both NGC and PCGS that will house the slightly larger slabs for example that hold the Queens beast 2 oz silver coins, although personally i do not like the PCGS version of this box. As a previous post mentioned you do not wan't to scratch or mark your holders if at all possible, not very good on the eye to look at a stunning PF70 coin in a scratched and marked holder.

Im trying different things. The boxes with slots are good but take up a fixed size, fine if you have a full box and space to spare. What i do depending on where im storing it is put them into business card holders - you can get standard or double size and they fit well, leaving plenty of room for silica gel, anti-tarnish strips etc as you see fit.

image.png.6173e7c7050721fe9fe7ccdbf5a66aee.png

14 hours ago, Skelator88 said:

Vacuum seal them, easier for handling and a little more protection. Then into the safe place. 

Not many can hold 16 slabs in two fingers

D65621AC-2189-4E28-AA4E-0124C0AAFECB.jpeg

6490687C-E4FB-4343-A26C-06E6495EFCE2.jpeg

This satisfies my OCD, a perfect slab is preferable than a bashed up one in my opinion.  Great job! 

1 hour ago, PAMPSUISSEAG said:

This satisfies my OCD, a perfect slab is preferable than a bashed up one in my opinion.  Great job! 

It makes my OCD scream out loud. 😫How do you stack or store them in a perfectly symmetrical and uniform manner? Too much loose plastic flapping around, I could never settle.

Each to their own though. 😀

58 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

It makes my OCD scream out loud. 😫How do you stack or store them in a perfectly symmetrical and uniform manner? Too much loose plastic flapping around, I could never settle.

Think it’s the thought of the pristine coin kept in pristine slabs more for me lol 😆 

20 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

It’s more of a protective way of storing rather than viewing pleasure.  Much better than loose slabs clanging around getting bashed

2 hours ago, Skelator88 said:

It’s more of a protective way of storing rather than viewing pleasure.  Much better than loose slabs clanging around getting bashed

I understand what you mean, I just prefer to maintain a more intimate access to my coins for now. 😁

Instagram: gildeon_67

Archived