• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best 2018 silver coins to buy

Josey

Hello all,

new to this forum but been squirreling silver away for a while now. Mostly I've bought philharmonics, Canadian maples and some libertads.

Seeing now that silver is so cheap which coins of 2018 do ye suggest are the best investments?

Personally I'm considering the 30th anniversary maple leaf, the silver Krugerrand, the Britannia oriental border and the Perth mint dragon coin/ bar.

All suggestions welcome :

Josey

Hi and welcome from Edinburgh.  Would certainly consider Britannias from a CGT perspective.  Older maples do seem to be prone to milk spots, don't know about newer ones.  Happy stacking.

Always buy with liquidity in mind. "Will the oriental border fetch more than a standard Britannia when I sell"?  Probably not. Special coins(for the most part) just cost more on the front end and the extra premium could have been used towards the next purchase. I would highly encourage new stackers to do this: Take a standard Brit, ASE, maple leaf, Etc. and a special edition coin of the same maker down to your LCS or whomever you will sell to and ask what they will give you for each coin. For the most part they will buy them for the same price, somewhere right around spot. Profits are made when you buy, not when you sell. So if a standard Britannia is $17 at point of sale and the special coin is $19 at point of sale you have technically just lost $2 because of the extra premium that is rarely recouped. So, " Always buy with liquidity in mind".  When your considering a purchase you should be thinking, "what will I get for this, if and when I sell".  Even if you never plan to sell, this is still a great mind set to have when buying shiny things that can distort our logical reasoning. Never buy with emotions...

" Mostly I've bought philharmonics, Canadian maples and some Libertads."

I would highly encourage you to take one of each of these and go down to your local coin shop and ask what they will give for each. Now you can compare that to what you paid for them taking into account the change in spot price of course. Its a very enlightening experience. Watch what feelings and emotions arise when they tell you the buy back price...

Edited: This isn't necessarily directed at you Josey but for folks that have only bought PM's and haven't experienced the selling end of it. Don't mean to offend you in any way...

41 minutes ago, Josey said:

Hello all,

Personally I'm considering the 30th anniversary maple leaf, the silver Krugerrand, the Britannia oriental border and the Perth mint dragon coin/ bar.

All are good and I am also buying these at the moment tempted by the current low pre-Brexit prices when differential VAT ( I reckon ) will evade us Brits.
The quality of these coins seems high meaning few scratches, dings and scuffs so worth getting capsules to fit.
I just ordered a tube of Dragon bars and added the Perth Mint rectangular caps which were not cheap at €1.27 each but worth it to set-off the bars.

Another favourite are the 2oz silver Queens Beasts but shop around for the best prices and again get decent capsules.

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

All are good and I am also buying these at the moment tempted by the current low pre-Brexit prices when differential VAT ( I reckon ) will evade us Brits.
The quality of these coins seems high meaning few scratches, dings and scuffs so worth getting capsules to fit.
I just ordered a tube of Dragon bars and added the Perth Mint rectangular caps which were not cheap at €1.27 each but worth it to set-off the bars. 

Another favourite are the 2oz silver Queens Beasts but shop around for the best prices and again get decent capsules.

Did you buy direct from the perth mint?

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh no offense taken, the opposite in fact, great information, much appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Josey said:

Did you buy direct from the perth mint?

No - I use GS.be and other European dealers and keep a close eye on other Forum members offerings from time to time for value.

6 hours ago, Josey said:

Thanks for the welcome, Cork here :)

I'm not sure about CGT here in Ireland, will have to investigate.

Hey @Josey welcome to the forum. I've only joined recently myself and located just outside Dublin, so if you find any info on CGT in Ireland, please do share :D

From what I could see on the revenue site " You have to pay CGT on gains made from the sale, gift or exchange of an asset such as currency (other than Irish currency)" but it's not clear if that relates to the old Punt or does it apply to the Euro in which case would that make the Austrian Philharmonic CGT-free as they are denominated with a Euro amount. Otherwise we are paying CGT on profits over 1270 euro which sucks !

Very little info that I can find on this :( 

Welcome to the forum mate, 2018 has been a superb year for silver coin collectors with so many lovely coins coming out even a cast bar stacker such as myself has been fighting the temptation to get one or two, what I would add (or agree to the above comments) is,

Buy what you love the look of, that way if it loses value you are still happy to have it,

Shop around for the best price, BUT the cheapest seller does not always mean best quality or least stress, thats where a forum like this is invaluable for information and advice to help you make your own mind up.

Recommended coins wise, I can only really say some that I like and seem to be selling like hotcakes due to their design and price, all these below are at the bottom range of the price of silver coins and thus the closest to spot, the Britannia, too is a lovely coin.

The spade guinea

1-Unze-Silber-St-Helena-Spade-Guinea-East-Indian-Company-2018-Restrike-BU_b2.thumb.jpg.a2588816667bfa06b2f95c02d4b04546.jpg

guineaSPADE18.jpg.cfc2c272e476a5c94b3fe956dab38ede.jpg

The Armenian noahs ark, some dont like these but they look much nicer in the hand and come in more sizes than any other coin I know

694767083_2013-noahs-ark-o.thumb.jpg.41cabf8f2fb25dc6e75c6cb07270d98c.jpg

silver-noahs-ark-1-ounce-coin-reverse.thumb.jpg.272ce5b5adad155622e6bf4defbd109f.jpg

American eagle

American-Eagle-Silver-Bullion-Coin.jpg.ecd365d7967418995b6ab224a5239865.jpg

Cook islands bounty coin

7957905879975590582.thumb.jpg.8a343fd37649b9f8fd6a698f16ec5df2.jpg

Silber-Cook-Islands-Bounty-1-Unze-Silber-1-oz-2016-999-BU-neues-Design.thumb.jpg.c26c8cbd3e343336fa5d3c65fe0f6169.jpg

Whichever coin you like the feel and look of the most is always a good bet. May as well be happy with the coin.

For price/weight ratio the Austrian Philharmonics are the best value 1Oz coins I can see.

You said you live in Ireland, if I remember correctly your CGT allowance there is quite low and there are no exemptions for bullion if I remember correctly.

I personally like to stack the more recognisable coins such as Britannias and Eagles since I like the design and they are easy to sell. They cost a little bit more than some other coins but they are also cheaper themselves than some others.

Buying from Europe will save you a lot of money too.

think of silver as a lifeboat, not an investment.. that said, buy what you like. People get very preachy when it comes to advice about this coin or that bar, but its your money at the end of the day, nobody really cares about it other than you.

On 24/08/2018 at 22:29, iesilv said:

Hey @Josey welcome to the forum. I've only joined recently myself and located just outside Dublin, so if you find any info on CGT in Ireland, please do share :D

From what I could see on the revenue site " You have to pay CGT on gains made from the sale, gift or exchange of an asset such as currency (other than Irish currency)" but it's not clear if that relates to the old Punt or does it apply to the Euro in which case would that make the Austrian Philharmonic CGT-free as they are denominated with a Euro amount. Otherwise we are paying CGT on profits over 1270 euro which sucks !

Very little info that I can find on this :(

Hey, thanks for the reply. It would be interesting to chat come time about PMs in Ireland.

Personally, I try and only buy what I know I can sell at a coin shop.  I am lucky to have a few near me and I talk with them regularly.  I know what they buy and sell.  It keeps me focused on a few styles and designs.  It also keeps my stack liquid.  

I don’t want to get into selling coins on eBay.  The fees are too much.  Just giving away money. 

I do own a few coins that I got because I plan on keeping them very long term (most of my stack I plan on flipping to gold when the ratio is favorable to do so).  

My favorite is the Barbados Trident.  

On 02/09/2018 at 21:38, greendragon said:

i dont LIKE most of the coins in my stack 

i get the odd one with a design i like to keep me happy 

then the main bulk is made of whatever is cheapest. 

its easier  to sell your stack if its all lunar dogs!

Is the lunar dog easier to sell because you think it's ugly or because it's in high demand?

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 15:43, STONE said:

Always buy with liquidity in mind. "Will the oriental border fetch more than a standard Britannia when I sell"?  Probably not. Special coins(for the most part) just cost more on the front end and the extra premium could have been used towards the next purchase. I would highly encourage new stackers to do this: Take a standard Brit, ASE, maple leaf, Etc. and a special edition coin of the same maker down to your LCS or whomever you will sell to and ask what they will give you for each coin. For the most part they will buy them for the same price, somewhere right around spot. Profits are made when you buy, not when you sell. So if a standard Britannia is $17 at point of sale and the special coin is $19 at point of sale you have technically just lost $2 because of the extra premium that is rarely recouped. So, " Always buy with liquidity in mind".  When your considering a purchase you should be thinking, "what will I get for this, if and when I sell".  Even if you never plan to sell, this is still a great mind set to have when buying shiny things that can distort our logical reasoning. Never buy with emotions...

" Mostly I've bought philharmonics, Canadian maples and some Libertads."

I would highly encourage you to take one of each of these and go down to your local coin shop and ask what they will give for each. Now you can compare that to what you paid for them taking into account the change in spot price of course. Its a very enlightening experience. Watch what feelings and emotions arise when they tell you the buy back price...

Edited: This isn't necessarily directed at you Josey but for folks that have only bought PM's and haven't experienced the selling end of it. Don't mean to offend you in any way...

Liquidity is definitely important and probably a safe option.  I don't believe all silver is equal and all gold is equal.

If that was true, you could beat the coin with a hammer a hundred times so the coin is beat up and still get the same price for it as one in mint condition.

Good luck trying to get the same price for a beat up Britannia as someone can get for a mint Britannia.

Something is only worth what someone will pay for it.  That price that someone will pay will differ from person to person and can differ over time due to desirability, spot price etc.

The price you are talking about at the local coin shop is usually the lowest price you can get.  It's not the only price.

I like to own things I like and enjoy or provide financial security.

I have faced horrible illness and had to sell all my gold and silver and it all sold fast on eBay.  I also sold personal belongings such as tools and arcade games, these thing were difficult to sell and took a lot of effort and time to sell (not liquid).  I did manage to sell them.

The way I see it is, for me these coins are there for times of financial difficulties such as Illness, unemployment, retirement (yes I see retirement as reduced income = financial difficulty).

I have coins that are liquid and some that are more speculative.  Who knows what I will get for them If I sell.  Don't have a crystal ball that can predict the future.

Archived