• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying from ats bullion

3 hours ago, Orpster said:

Look in the mirror mate, you have two mk1 eyeballs just above your nose

@dicker means do your research, learn how to spot fakes just by looking at the coin under a loupe

I have recently bought a digital microscope, and while I got it to be able to confirm any variants that pass through my hands it is a great piece of kit and it was not super expensive - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XNYXQHE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
The below is the type of detail it captures, on this example I was trying to confirm whether the A's in GRATIA on a young head were partially barred

image.thumb.jpeg.282453930d915c8d93239b6f88043b53.jpeg

I have a couple of sets of scales but I find these the best - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BHRTJ8QM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 
I also have these and they are adequate most of the time and are very portable https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DNPPFPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The second set only seem to be accurate to .1 but I have had them a long time

I copped on shortly after he said it never heard them called mk1 eyeballs lol funny one.

That microscope got some detail for you. I’ll take a look at the scales now 

thanks 

7 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

I’d go against the grain and say buy from dealers, from your posts sounds like you are nervous about buying and knowing if it is fake or real.   Don’t acid test as if it’s a premium coin will erode the value.            Numerous fakes have been sold on here in the past 10 years unbeknown to the seller and buyer. Mostly American and Saudi coins.           Not to say they aren’t gold but just very good copies.     I wouldn’t bother with silver as hard to shift and cost of sending too high.   Bullion gold from chards/Atkinsons/Hatton garden metals will be best for you until you get more experience 

I’ll take a we look at them dealers now mate thanks 

14 hours ago, Norskgeld said:

I've bought a couple of gold coins from ATS.

No problems with them at all.

Even got a small choccie in the box with the coins.🤩

I got the chocolate to nice we touch, expensive choc tho lol 

3 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

One of the best purchases I ever made... I was living in constant "fear" buying gold from dealers and forum members until I got mine. No amount of dunking coins in water could convince me otherwise :) 

I bought my sigma in Dec 2021 when it cost approx. 90% spot at that time

Today you could buy one here for only 50% spot - it's a no-brainer! Worry less about the (potentially unsafe) more gold you could buy and focus on the less-stressful fully-tested stack.

I agree, I’m going to get one before I stack anymore. Were I’m at at the minute  it’s looking like a no brainer tbh.

Some of the sites I was looking at before the link you added were looking between 1200 too 2500 for them.

6 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

If you haven't already seen the "compare" tool on this forum, it's well worth checking out to save you time. Can see with or without postage included.

https://www.thesilverforum.com/compare/

Thanks

17 hours ago, Bigcheesy123 said:

On a side note does anyone know if you can still get vat free silver from the European mint in Northern Ireland after brexit? We got left with different rules than the uk. 

would love me some vat free silver 

If you're worried about buying privately then UK dealers do second hand silver at lower premiums to new. Chards, Atkinsons and BBP all have SH silver on their sites.

1 hour ago, MBTPSilver said:

If you're worried about buying privately then UK dealers do second hand silver at lower premiums to new. Chards, Atkinsons and BBP all have SH silver on their sites.

Thanks I’ll take a look at their sites 

20 hours ago, Bigcheesy123 said:

in Northern Ireland

Oh no, not another one 😂👍

Welcome mate. There's a special offer for £1 membership currently running, it's a no-brainer, get signed up!

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/89070-promotion-£1-trial-silver-premium-membership-💎-ends-may-19th-2024-live-now/

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

On 18/04/2024 at 22:23, Bigcheesy123 said:

You’re just right too, I have acid and a coin slide I can make sure all the measurement are as specified by the original mint. I take no joy on using acid on my coins 😅 also hard to trust the rest without a proper precious metal tester  

Acid? Nooooooo🫣

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

On 19/04/2024 at 09:20, Darr3nG said:

One of the best purchases I ever made... I was living in constant "fear" buying gold from dealers and forum members until I got mine. No amount of dunking coins in water could convince me otherwise :) 

I bought my sigma in Dec 2021 when it cost approx. 90% spot at that time

Today you could buy one here for only 50% spot - it's a no-brainer! Worry less about the (potentially unsafe) more gold you could buy and focus on the less-stressful fully-tested stack.

Totally  agree.

I felt nervous and had nightmares 😄 even for stuff from Royal Mint or BBP. You never know, people make mistakes, good fakes can sneak through and you could end up with a lemon.

Depending where you live, see if you can find someone experienced/equipped to verify anything you might feel uneasy about.

If you have several coins of the same kind, then it's easier as they all should be weighing the same, dimensions and magnetic properties identical etc.

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

On 21/04/2024 at 21:07, JohnA1 said:

Totally  agree.

I felt nervous and had nightmares 😄 even for stuff from Royal Mint or BBP. You never know, people make mistakes, good fakes can sneak through and you could end up with a lemon.

Depending where you live, see if you can find someone experienced/equipped to verify anything you might feel uneasy about.

If you have several coins of the same kind, then it's easier as they all should be weighing the same, dimensions and magnetic properties identical etc.

Thank you

i live in a small area and even going to a local jewellers can inspire gossip it’s not easy at times. 

im going to save up and get a machine to test my stock 😀

37 minutes ago, Bigcheesy123 said:

Thank you

i live in a small area and even going to a local jewellers can inspire gossip it’s not easy at times. 

im going to save up and get a machine to test my stock 😀

How far north are you? Just city not postcode lol

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 23/04/2024 at 15:04, James32 said:

How far north are you? Just city not postcode lol

North enough, went to a jewellers up the country, and of course they’d no machine to test them.

The had someone they called in to do it and needed me to call before arriving.

Just now, Bigcheesy123 said:

North enough, went to a jewellers up the country, and of course they’d no machine to test them.

The had someone they called in to do it and needed me to call before arriving.

Pretty sure if you put up a post including your location ( approx) someone nearby will be willing to test with a sigma machine. 

2 hours ago, James32 said:

Pretty sure if you put up a post including your location ( approx) someone nearby will be willing to test with a sigma machine. 

Could do with a “forum” rental where members could hire it for a week to test their metals for a small fee. Reckon it would recoup its cost in no time.

17 minutes ago, Esjayc said:

If you can afford a Sigma, it is worth it... expensive initially, but my philosophy was once I purchased it, then it's always there. I have the Pro Mini.

Same here.

1 hour ago, Fishface220 said:

Could do with a “forum” rental where members could hire it for a week to test their metals for a small fee. Reckon it would recoup its cost in no time.

The postage ( not cost) but actual postage trips would ultimately kill the machine. If you seen how some halfwits wrap parcels, well you'd be quite angry 😆 

21 minutes ago, James32 said:

The postage ( not cost) but actual postage trips would ultimately kill the machine. If you seen how some halfwits wrap parcels, well you'd be quite angry 😆 

Yeah fair point…. Jiffy bag probably not the best for a bit of high tech equipment 

On 26/04/2024 at 21:20, Esjayc said:

If you can afford a Sigma, it is worth it... expensive initially, but my philosophy was once I purchased it, then it's always there. I have the Pro Mini.

Spot on I’m just getting one next, need it at hand 💪🏻

On 26/04/2024 at 21:40, James32 said:

They’d kick the poor thing around the sorting office.

On 26/04/2024 at 19:40, Fishface220 said:

I’ll rent mine when a get it 😀lol what do you thinks a fare price?