• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2012 bullion quarter sovereign ownership

On 27/03/2024 at 16:56, JamesH said:

Following on from Andrews recent for sale post, where he identified the mintage on a bullion 2012 quarter sovereign is as low as 137 it got me thinking about how many we may own amongst the TSF membership. If happy to share, feel free to add to the list.

I’ll start. I own 2

Just one over here. :ph34r:

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

45 minutes ago, Olivard said:

Does that figure include the bullion coin in a card/blister?

I’m certainly no authority but based on Marsh there’s only a distinction between ‘normal’ and ‘proof’ as opposed BU/normal/proof. I think BU still falls under bullion

On 28/03/2024 at 07:37, Petra said:

🤔134 out there😮

19 minutes ago, JamesH said:

I’m certainly no authority but based on Marsh there’s only a distinction between ‘normal’ and ‘proof’ as opposed BU/normal/proof. I think BU still falls under bullion

133 now. 😀

BU coins are minted a little differently to bullion aren’t they? Plus you can specifically buy BU coins, however, anyone actually got a BU packaged 1/4🤔😮(2012)🤔

2 minutes ago, Olivard said:

133 now. 😀

😮👍

10 hours ago, BullionBuyerUK said:

Seems someone has already took them . . . . 

Huh...I should have provided a referral link 😁

1 hour ago, dvl said:

2012 1/4 sovs are out of stock on BBP.co.uk

However…  if you check on their .eu version there are still 2 in stock 😉 €205.40 each or ~£175.55

Now you have to find a friend or relative who is residing in EU. Go go 

https://www.bullionbypost.eu/gold-coins/quarter-sovereign/2012-gold-quarter-sovereign/

🤔😮😮

I have six in total, three of each.

Plus a few Proof Quarters.

I think in 2012, they used the same bullion sovereigns for brilliant uncirculated, as the SOTD are basically the same as a standard Sovereign, however in 2013 you started to see a difference in Bullion and Brilliant Uncirculated.

Not 100% with this so would need more research.        

I had a look and found this on the COA, now it is for the SOTD Sovereign, however should be the same as for the Quarter, it clearly states that the Quality is Brilliant Uncirculated,

however the mintage figures show that it is unlimited even though the amount minted that day had a finite number, so I think that the 2012 Bullion  and Brilliant Uncirculated where the same,

I will look up the COA on the sets I have which should/might be the same, quarters where not issued in them however, so does not really answer the question BU Quarters..            

2012 mintage.jpg

The later "BU" ones were different from bullion and more resembled proofs than bullion. This term was used for SOTD sovereigns. Not sure about 2012. Marsh mentions the strike on the day BU ones separately but doesn't mention 2012 in these. 

What I find most puzzling is NGCs MS DPL designation for 2012 quarter. This is the correct designation for the SOTD sovereigns (but are often incorrectly labelled PF UC. So what are these DPL 2012 quarters? And do they look more like bullion or proofs?

Anyone with a graded MS 2012 quarter here? 

Here's a list of the mintage figures for 2012 gold commemorative coins (Proof and Brilliant uncirculated, excluding bullion) taken from the Royal Mint website

image.thumb.png.e022481f85784e51403262f9b370d0cb.png

The Royal Mint issue sovereigns in 3 standards, Proof, Brilliant Uncirculated (or B.U) and bullion, don't confuse B.U. with bullion. The list above excludes bullion. I suspect the total numbers shown in  "The Gold Sovereign" have been used in error and bullion has not been included, which is likely to run to a mintage of 10's of thousands. Does anyone out there know the actual mintage of this coin in Bullion condition?

Brilliant Uncirculated sovereigns come in presentation boxes with Certificates of Authenticity. If your coin does not come on the presentation box then it's probably bullion. It would be interested to see how many people own a Brilliant Uncirculated quarter sovereign with a box and CoA.

Edited by Booky586

19 minutes ago, JamesH said:

So it’s an identical bullion coin with a box and paperwork?

No, the brilliant uncirculated are struck to higher standard than bullion. The video above explains the difference.

Edited by Booky586

1 hour ago, arphethean said:

I can't. I just have glasses. 

🤔😮😮hilarious 😮too much chocolate already 🤔🤔😁

11 minutes ago, Wampum said:

I found the file for the 2012 BU Set, sorry for the quality, it's a scan of a scan, the figures for the Half Sovereign are interesting   

Image_20240329_0001.png

🤔actually doesn’t mean that this is the actual number sold or anywhere near.interesting though that they are all done as BU, so answers previous thoughts/questions. Cheers👍

18 minutes ago, Petra said:

🤔actually doesn’t mean that this is the actual number sold or anywhere near.interesting though that they are all done as BU, so answers previous thoughts/questions. Cheers👍

They would have needed a lot of boxes to get to that number😁.

If the max number for half and the quarter bullion is 250,000,

then it does look as if, for any 2012 Sovereign type, to be classed as a BU coin you just needed to add a box and papers like @JamesH has said.

Edited by Wampum

5 minutes ago, Wampum said:

They would have needed a lot of boxes to get to that number😁.

If the max number for half and the quarter bullion is 250,000,

then it does look as if, for any 2012 Sovereign type, to be classed as a BU coin you just needed to add a box and papers like @JamesH has said.

😮🤔well either way, we’ve got decent quality coins (cheap ish😮🤔)!

38 minutes ago, Wampum said:

I found the file for the 2012 BU Set, sorry for the quality, it's a scan of a scan, the figures for the Half Sovereign are interesting   

Image_20240329_0001.png

Nice certificate, thanks for posting.

Maximum coin mintage does not always equate to actual coin mintage though, it's just sets the upper limit.

Edited by Booky586