• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

anybody know anything about Silver hallmarks?

hoping somebody can help me out? I found a few spoons while sorting through some bits and bobs in the loft. this spoon does anybody also know what the design is for? any help is appreciated. thank you.

20240313_121633.jpg

20240313_121600.jpg

thanks, thats the first thing i did too but it still left me confused lol one site said on thing and another site said something else lol so I was hoping we had someone who might be able to clear it up?

what I think so far from right to left is london, silver, 1915 or 1935? and the sovereign head is a duty mark but used between 1784-1890 which would meen the date letter was wrong??? lol

i am looking at this but the surround is not quite right otherwise it is.

image.png.424ad67806f97ebaeafaf1cf83aec85e.png

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

This looks like it is from a Royal Corps of Signals mess dining set with the engraved crowned figure of Mercury.

Hallmarks look much older than those of this corps, which is only 104 years old with the Mercury (Jimmy) 103 years old.

4 hours ago, finbar1970 said:

i thought maybe 1788?

20240313_155841.jpg

no - the leopard does not have a crown on your silver piece.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 170856.png

This leopard face was on London silver between 1821/22 and 1836/37 - that's it. It has to be in that date range. A lot older than the OP initially thought.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Not so sure. Its the engraving itself of the Jimmy, almost a more stylised version than an official one that would be used in a mess on closer inspection.

The engraving looks like it has some age.

A very interesting item. 

so defo 1828,  my Dad was Royal Marines, I think it might of been gifted to him or he's won it in a shooting comp? he had loads of different bits and bobs from comp's back then? lol he was a bit of a dead eye!

Posted (edited)

i was rejected on medical gorunds! absolutely gutted at the time! he passed away when I was 7 and I was determind to join up so it hit me bad when I couldn't, but such is life!

Edited by finbar1970

It's not unusual for items to be engraved at a later date. Many pocket watch fobs will have an engraving date (birthday/graduation) which can be decades later than the hallmark date. I see no issue there.

Edited by SidS