• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2014 Proof Britannia

Danny-boy

What did you order Danny?

Just the 1oz proof matey.

I decided that with the very popular design, and a 40% reduction in mintage from last year, that this could be a good purchase.

Stacker since 2013

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get one ordered sharpish Garth, only 1750 sets worldwide and there seems to be a lot of hype and interest in this set and the other 2014 silver proofs worldwide.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

• Founder & Administrator

The design looks quite nice, if it was a bullion coin then I'd be in but I don't love it enough to pay their high proof price.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I've got last year's proof but if I get this one then a one-off will become a tradition.

I might get the 1oz and then hope that the 'expanded bullion range' they will announce in August might have this design.  Not that two bullion Brit designs seem likely to me.

• Founder & Administrator

Do you guys reckon getting one of these would be a good investment, and if so what has the best likelyhood? a set or a single coin or

Thanks for the help.

I am not sure, maybe, but to me it seems high risk. RM have a history of releasing flops. In my view If you buy one you should buy one on the basis that it's a nice coin and that you like the design and you want it for your collection. I think there are other better proven investments. Saying that though, who knows.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I am not sure, maybe, but to me it seems high risk. RM have a history of releasing flops. In my view If you buy one you should buy one on the basis that it's a nice coin and that you like the design and you want it for your collection. I think there are other better proven investments. Saying that though, who knows.

I'm not really a fan of silver too much, I haven't got any yet :lol:  if i like a design (which i do with these) id prefer it in gold, but the gold prices seem silly for these.

I'm interested in silver really just for investment, whether it be cheap to stack and sit on or it will have a rising numismatic value

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I don't know if this will be a good investment, but it's my most impulsive purchase to date.

I saw it on another forum and decided within 2 minutes that I was going to pre-order the 1oz.

My first proof coin.

Utterly gorgeous renders, gorgeous mintage. Hope they stay true to both.

Stacker since 2013

Has the release always been 6/8? I thought it was the end of July but I must have be mistaken.

It was 6/8 when I ordered mine matey.

I have a feeling they are available for purchase (not pre-order) from the end of July, with shipping from 6/8.

I may be wrong though.

Stacker since 2013

I don't know if this will be a good investment, but it's my most impulsive purchase to date.

I saw it on another forum and decided within 2 minutes that I was going to pre-order the 1oz.

My first proof coin.

Utterly gorgeous renders, gorgeous mintage. Hope they stay true to both.

haha I had the very same urge, but I decided within about 2 seconds of looking at the pic haha.  

I've been looking at every coin release this year, and I've been putting off all purchases, thinking I might just wait until the 2015 lunars.  Then this comes out….. haha.  The only other coin where I instantly wanted it was the 2014 gold wedge-tailed eagle but I couldn't afford those so missed out. 

I recently came to the conclusion that Britannia's are my fave coin, and I think this just confirms it.  Very very nice coin, and it's refreshing to see that it's a completely new design.

I wish you could obtain the 1 oz gold individually though, instead of having to buy the 6 coin set to obtain it?  Do you think these will end up being sold individually later on?

That 5 oz gold coin is amazing though.  Aussies seem to get a discount on the 5oz gold coin to 6250pounds, but all the other gold coin sets are the same.  The silver coins are cheaper for aussies too though (no vat obviously) so I might have to end up picking up a 5 oz silver and a 1 oz silver…. still deciding 

A few things that stand out to me.

The traditional Spartan / Carinthian helmet which represents war or British power is very dominant and the first time I have ever seen the griffin considered to be the king of all creatures included in its design.

Britannia is normally shown on coinage with her face stern, and looking out onwards as if watching or looking for something, a protective look about her.

It is quite the oppersit in this design. She is facing the floor with the eyes of the helmet facing forwards.

The sheild does not show the british flag.

Her grip on the trident is quite strange and almost looks like she is stroking this symbol of power. Anatomically her grip looks warped.

Britannia is highly sexualised in this design.

She stands almost mid step with Lion, Trident and Shield protecting her inbetween the globe which is shown without continents or boarders but rather lines of latitude and longitude.

I am trying to understand the symbolism shown in this.

Still...

a fascinating piece to a collector

Wow, that's deep.

I just looked at her ass.

Well, I thought you were a tits man Danny.

I happen to agree with UKSC's assessment of the coin, but here are my thoughts;

Yes, this is definitely the most feminine Britannia to date, very girly and unwarrior like.

She looks quite pensive, as if she is contemplating Britain's loss of empire.

And I have to say that the helmet, big as it is, looks incongruous on this slender and wistful Britannia.

Well, I thought you were a tits man Danny.

I happen to agree with UKSC's assessment of the coin, but here are my thoughts;

Yes, this is definitely the most feminine Britannia to date, very girly and unwarrior like.

She looks quite pensive, as if she is contemplating Britain's loss of empire.

And I have to say that the helmet, big as it is, looks incongruous on this slender and wistful Britannia.

I am a tits & ass man. Always have been, always will be. Lol.

Anyway, in my opinion, it's the fit ones that are the most devastatingly evil and "warrior-like".

You never need fear the ugly wobbly ones.

So maybe they got it right.

Stacker since 2013

Looking at this design again she does look defeated, she looks as though shes about to drop the trident, give up and walk away, the more I look at it the more powerful it becomes but in a sad way, truly stunning piece of art, in my opinion the best britannia to date.

Archived