• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1 oz gold bar - Perth Mint or Credit Suisse?

Perth Mint or Credit Suisse?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you choose?

• Perth Mint
    • Credit Suisse

I'm considering buying a 1 oz gold bar from either Perth Mint or Credit Suisse. Both have interesting designs on them, which is why I'm considering them. I have left a poll for people to choose what they would go for. Here are some links for people to see pictures and videos:

https://www.ukbullion.com/gold/gold-bars/buy-1oz-ounce-gold-bars/perth-mint-1-oz-ounce-gold-bar-24ct.html

https://www.ukbullion.com/gold/vat-free-gold-bullion/1-oz-gold-bar-credit-suisse.html

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

Don't like saying this, but don't buy Perth mint. Whilst it will be geniune from a dealer, they are the most faked bar on the planet. On resale most will just assume fake and ignore your sale.

Interestingly, the latest Perth Mint bars come in what they call "tamper evident" assay cards. This means that if you open the assay card, the word "VOID" will come up within the packaging. Apparently, if the packaging doesn't have this, it means it's fake. Also, from what I've observed, the matt finish on the fake Perth Mint bars have more of a shine to them than the genuine ones.

Hopefully these videos should explain it a bit better:

Just now, ZEE123 said:

Interestingly, the latest Perth Mint bars come in what they call "tamper evident" assay cards. This means that if you open the assay card, the word "VOID" will come up within the packaging. Apparently, if the packaging doesn't have this, it means it's fake. Also, from what I've observed, the matt finish on the fake Perth Mint bars have more of a shine to them than the genuine ones.

Hopefully these videos should explain it a bit better:

Fakes are getting better unfortunately. I can tell the difference but a large number can't.

It's your perogative but you'd be buying a overpriced potential headache. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 minutes ago, SiCole said:

Neither - you can get a better design like the Britannia bar which won't be looked at like a copy bar for far less.

I thought about that but I already have a few Royal Mint coins like Britannias, Queens Beasts, etc. I thought I'd go for something different.

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Fakes are getting better unfortunately. I can tell the difference but a large number can't.

It's your perogative but you'd be buying a overpriced potential headache. 

Yes that's a good point. Also if those prices are a bit steep, there's always other places I could look. Atkinsons Bullion is selling the Perth Mint bar for a cheaper price.

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-bars/1oz-gold-bars/perth-mint-1oz-gold-bar-in-assay

Also, I intend to hold onto my gold for as long as possible (for at least 10 years). This should mean that it will keep up with inflation in the long run. If I don't sell it privately, I can perhaps sell it to a bullion dealer as it will most likely be worth more than it is now as far as spot price is concerned.

Just now, ZEE123 said:

Yes that's a good point. Also if those prices are a bit steep, there's always other places I could look. Atkinsons Bullion is selling the Perth Mint bar for a cheaper price.

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-bars/1oz-gold-bars/perth-mint-1oz-gold-bar-in-assay

Also, I intend to hold onto my gold for as long as possible (for at least 10 years). This should mean that it will keep up with inflation in the long run. If I don't sell it privately, I can perhaps sell it to a bullion dealer as it will most likely be worth more than it is now as far as spot price is concerned.

That's a fair point.

Still think this is a better buy.

https://atkinsonsbullion.com/gold/gold-bars/1oz-gold-bars/pre-owned-pamp-suisse-fortuna-1oz-gold-bar-certificated

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

I thought about the pamp bar. Although I already have a pamp gold bar myself and I like to buy different things as I find it more interesting. Yes it is a nice to be fair 👍

1 hour ago, ZEE123 said:

I thought about that but I already have a few Royal Mint coins like Britannias, Queens Beasts, etc. I thought I'd go for something different.

Whatever you decide to buy, get a receipt and take pictures of both the bar and the receipt

I'm not sure buying bars is the best option though. If holding for 10 years how about some nice sovs? Almost infinite variety and CGT-exempt

If you still want something flashy in 1oz then @9x883 is a good person to ask

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

2 hours ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Whatever you decide to buy, get a receipt and take pictures of both the bar and the receipt

I'm not sure buying bars is the best option though. If holding for 10 years how about some nice sovs? Almost infinite variety and CGT-exempt

If you still want something flashy in 1oz then @9x883 is a good person to ask

Yes I agree. Taking pictures is especially important for home insurance reasons as it's proof you own the item. I also keep the receipts every time I buy gold and silver.

I also agree that Royal Mint coins are the best option if you factor in the CGT exemption. I think whatever pieces of gold you buy, you've got to have at least a few coins from Royal Mint.

I've thought about sovereigns but I'm not particularly keen them personally, particularly some of the more recent ones with that red-orange-like colour to them. I know some of the older ones look more yellow but I prefer 24ct gold as I think it looks better. In my gold stack, my Royal Mint collection is mainly Britannias and Queens/Tudor Beasts as they're 24ct gold. The only 22ct gold coin I have is a 1/4 Oz American Eagle as I like US eagles, both gold and silver. Other than that, the rest of my stack is 24ct gold.

I'll follow @9x883 to see what they have to offer 👍

Edited by ZEE123

Looks like the general consensus is not to go for Perth Mint bars. If it's one of the most faked bars, then I'm definitely not going to buy one as most private buyers won't trust them. So that's helped my decision a little bit, I won't go for Perth Mint. My vote is with Credit Suisse 👍

Also it's for a cheaper price from Chards than the link I posted from UKBullion. I only posted from that website as it had videos to accompany it for people see.

https://www.chards.co.uk/pre-owned-1-oz-gold-credit-suisse-bullion-bar/9465

Edited by ZEE123

Aside from the reasons I am sure you will be aware of with respect to CGT bars, I think there is a different option for you…

Cast rather than minted bars.  I haven’t seen a cast PM ingot counterfeit for sale…

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I bought a few of the Perth mint dragon coin bars (they have a face value) from 2018-2021. Absolutely stunning coin bars and never had a problem selling them on at a profit. They are semi numismatic and there are collectors for them. Just check what the 2018 sells for on ebay, if you find one!. Yes as always be careful who and where you buy from. I bought them from a very reputable German dealer and have the receipts should anyone ever doubt or question them. However they haven't. Normal 1oz gold bars are purely from investment purposes. My vote are the earlier Perth Mint dragon coin bars. 

12 hours ago, MonkeysUncle said:

I voted Perth, but as been said above be EXTREMELY careful where you buy from. Trusted dealer or contacts otherwise you'll have a bite taken out of your ass.

Having said that, I'd buy neither of these and take a coin instead.

I've got plenty of coins myself, so I decided to get another 1 oz gold bar to diversify my stack. Yes if in doubt, buy from a reputable dealer.

1 hour ago, Organics said:

I bought a few of the Perth mint dragon coin bars (they have a face value) from 2018-2021. Absolutely stunning coin bars and never had a problem selling them on at a profit. They are semi numismatic and there are collectors for them. Just check what the 2018 sells for on ebay, if you find one!. Yes as always be careful who and where you buy from. I bought them from a very reputable German dealer and have the receipts should anyone ever doubt or question them. However they haven't. Normal 1oz gold bars are purely from investment purposes. My vote are the earlier Perth Mint dragon coin bars. 

Yes the dragon bars do look nice. I actually own a 1/4 gold lunar series 2024 dragon coin from the Perth Mint, I can see how dragons are popular, especially as the coin I own is one of the last to have the queen on the back.

I thought about the standard Perth Mint bars as I like the kangaroo design on the back of them. I think if I hang onto it for around 10 years or more, the value will go up with inflation and I should have no problem reselling it to a bullion dealer. Although I might struggle on the second hand market as it's one of the most faked gold bars in general. In the event of buying such a bar, it will have to be from a reputable dealer and I'll need to hang on to the receipt.

The forthcoming 1 oz Una and the Lion gold bars might be right up your alley if you're looking for some diversification to your gold stack.

Although as others have said, keeping adding items to your 1 oz UK gold coin stack/collection will avoid any potential CGT angle when you come to sell.

Do you have the 1 oz gold coronation bar that the RM released last year?  If not, that might be another contender.

59 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

The forthcoming 1 oz Una and the Lion gold bars might be right up your alley if you're looking for some diversification to your gold stack.

Although as others have said, keeping adding items to your 1 oz UK gold coin stack/collection will avoid any potential CGT angle when you come to sell.

Do you have the 1 oz gold coronation bar that the RM released last year?  If not, that might be another contender.

Tbf I've just googled the Una and the Lion bars and they look pretty decent. I've thought about the coronation bar too. I've just seen a video from Backyard Bullion on the Una and the Lion bar, although it's a bar from 2 - 3 years ago. Still it gives me a good idea of what to expect from said bar. I can't find any pictures of the forthcoming Una and the Lion bar, so if anyone has any pics of the new one then please share it. 👍