• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is the coin scratched

I offer a coin conservation service? Only £22.50 for the coin.  

Scratched? Most probably but depends if the smudges come off and then you can see what’s left behind, sometimes you can be very lucky as what can appear to be scratches are residue marks other times you are not so lucky.

if you picked the 2017 sovereign up cheap then it’s possibly worth the gamble to conserve.  I also offer NGC grading if needed.  

Cheers 

Dave. 

12 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I offer a coin conservation service? Only £22.50 for the coin.  

Scratched? Most probably but depends if the smudges come off and then you can see what’s left behind, sometimes you can be very lucky as what can appear to be scratches are residue marks other times you are not so lucky.

if you picked the 2017 sovereign up cheap then it’s possibly worth the gamble to conserve.  I also offer NGC grading if needed.  

Cheers 

Dave. 

13 hours ago, James32 said:

Looks like something was on coin and someone tried badly to wipe off, so I'd say a mixture of both residue and scratches. 

Just now, clement said:

Yes I thought that too.

1 hour ago, clement said:

Hi yes.

I think this is a mint issue, this is my SOTD. Now it looks like it has been handled, however the marks are in the surface, and not on top, if you hold the coin to the side normally finger print grease or dirt will show sitting on the surface.  

PB191012.JPG

The surface of this is pristine. 

Yours could be worth a punt at conserving  with @GoldDiggerDave.If you paid spot you can only increase the value.

Sometimes a few small scratches left behind are better than a cloudy or tarnished surface.  

sturck through.JPG

On the close up you see the finger prints go through the image and not up to it, yours is not as severe so could only maybe be improved.

This is just my opinion, however , you should really weigh up all your own options,

I would say that if this is not a mint issue, and it was handled recently, the quicker the mark is taken of the surface the less chance of it tarnishing ,as they are not pure Gold. 

I would look to have it professionally done, as you could cause more damage undertaking the problem yourself. 

Edited by Wampum
absolutely useless a stringing a sentence together

4 hours ago, Wampum said:

I think this is a mint issue, this is my SOTD. Now it looks like it has been handled, however the marks are in the surface, and not on top, if you hold the coin to the side normally finger print grease or dirt will show sitting on the surface.  

PB191012.JPG

The surface of this is pristine. 

Yours could be worth a punt at conserving  with @GoldDiggerDave.If you paid spot you can only increase the value.

Sometimes a few small scratches left behind are better than a cloudy or tarnished surface.  

sturck through.JPG

On the close up you see the finger prints go through the image and not up to it, yours is not as severe so could only maybe be improved.

This is just my opinion, however , you should really weigh up all your own options,

I would say that if this is not a mint issue, and it was handled recently, the quicker the mark is taken of the surface the less chance of it tarnishing ,as they are not pure Gold. 

I would look to have it professionally done, as you could cause more damage undertaking the problem yourself. 

Give it a dip in acetone it'll go away.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

6 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Give it a dip in acetone it'll go away.

Tried Acetone, even sealed it  in a container over night, normally wouldn't open a Proof at all even to remove dust, but this is next level messed up.    

10 minutes ago, Wampum said:

Tried Acetone, even sealed it  in a container over night, normally wouldn't open a Proof at all even to remove dust, but this is next level messed up.    

The next thing to do is placing some aluminium foil in a bowl, adding some baking soda and boiling water, and carefully put the coin in. The baking soda must be completely dissolved.

If that doesn't fix it, try Goddard's silver dip. It shouldn't really be used on gold, but I find it to work on the most resilient spots and black tarry bits around letters on old sovereigns. Dip for no more than 20s and make sure it's completely removed by gently rinsing in hot water. You might want coin tongs.

If problem persists, the coin might be hopeless. It's a matt sotd, and matt coins are highly susceptible to even the slightest wear. Ask the 1902 sovereigns.

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

19 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

A before and after? 

Will do, just waiting for some more chemicals to be delivered. 

Also got a few silver proof sets I need to get done.......... It's something  I really need to be in the mood to do.    

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

13 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Will do, just waiting for some more chemicals to be delivered. 

Also got a few silver proof sets I need to get done.......... It's something  I really need to be in the mood to do.    

Be very interesting to see that mate I’m sure I’m far from the only one 👍🏻

13 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

The next thing to do is placing some aluminium foil in a bowl, adding some baking soda and boiling water, and carefully put the coin in. The baking soda must be completely dissolved.

If that doesn't fix it, try Goddard's silver dip. It shouldn't really be used on gold, but I find it to work on the most resilient spots and black tarry bits around letters on old sovereigns. Dip for no more than 20s and make sure it's completely removed by gently rinsing in hot water. You might want coin tongs.

If problem persists, the coin might be hopeless. It's a matt sotd, and matt coins are highly susceptible to even the slightest wear. Ask the 1902 sovereigns.

I did the acetone wash then the Aluminium the next day, to no avail, similar to what I would do with bullion.

I have never dipped a coin, as seen what the damage is when coins have been dipped, but willing to do so with this, as it's basically bullion as it stands.

The coin isn't the matt coin, it's the Pistrucci  reworked version, which makes it worse, looks Matt to be honest. 

I was thinking of https://www.lindner-original.de/en/coin-supplies/cleansing-and-care/cleaner-cleaning-dips/lindner-tauchbad-fuer-goldmuenzen-250-ml/a-1111130103

or would the Goddards be better? what sort of a result have you had.

I also tried a hot vinegar bath,(normally would use for spotting on gold). However so far absolutely nothing has worked.

The Acetone might work for you @clement, don't use nail polish remover, it has to be pure, however again, it would be better of sending it to @GoldDiggerDave especially if you are unsure.

2 minutes ago, Wampum said:

I did the acetone wash then the Aluminium the next day, to no avail, similar to what I would do with bullion.

I have never dipped a coin, as seen what the damage is when coins have been dipped, but willing to do so with this, as it's basically bullion as it stands.

The coin isn't the matt coin, it's the Pistrucci  reworked version, which makes it worse, looks Matt to be honest. 

I was thinking of https://www.lindner-original.de/en/coin-supplies/cleansing-and-care/cleaner-cleaning-dips/lindner-tauchbad-fuer-goldmuenzen-250-ml/a-1111130103

or would the Goddards be better? what sort of a result have you had.

I also tried a hot vinegar bath,(normally would use for spotting on gold). However so far absolutely nothing has worked.

The Acetone might work for you @clement, don't use nail polish remover, it has to be pure, however again, it would be better of sending it to @GoldDiggerDave especially if you are unsure.

Goddards and Lindner have the same active ingredient which is thiourea. That removes anything with sulphur hence a silver dip. It theoretically dissolves copper and gold, but 20 seconds can't do harm as long as it's fully removed.

If it's a proof that hazed 5 years after production, it could have sustained significant environmental damage. You should send it to Dave. His way of preserving coins is his trade secret, but I can imagine some chemicals that are better not tried yourself.