• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Another Sub-Standard Proof Coin from the Royal Mint?

timsk

I decided to go for the latest series from the Royal Mint: 'Six Decades of 007'. Fair play to them, I only ordered the coin on Wednesday 15th and it arrived yesterday (Saturday 18th). At first glance, it looked okay. Upon closer inspection, I noticed some marks on the outer rim and kept my fingers crossed that these were on the capsule. As I carefully started to unscrew it, the marks didn't move. ☹️

Discounting a slabbed King Charles III Efigy Set (Graded MS70), I've bought 12 proof coins from the Royal Mint and, if I send this one back, it will be the 4th coin that I've returned for a replacement. Perhaps, with my relative inexperience, I'm just being overly critical and that the issues I see are well within acceptable parameters? So folks, please take a look at the pic's below and tell me if you think I'm being too picky and that I should just accept the coin and move on . . .

007_1.thumb.jpg.0ca7d7abd4a9c6eed58d50d4b0bd2f1b.jpg

007_2.thumb.jpg.eff9e8bfac291063a2ff9a39165c3e7d.jpg

1 hour ago, Petra said:

Once pointed out, it is obvious. Bearing in mind how photos can make things look different I would want to see it in hand. If I could see this when in hand then I would send it back🤔

Thanks Petra,

You make a good point about the photos which are taken with a macro lens - so the imperfections look worse on them than on the actual coin. That said, I did spot them with the naked eye and then looked at them under a loop. Although the imperfections are minor, my eye is now immediately drawn to them when I look at the coin - which detracts from my enjoyment of it.

My thinking is that if I decide to sell the coin one day, a potential buyer will - likely as not - enquire about its condition. I don't feel I could honestly say that it's in perfect condition and, to the best of my knowledge, if sent for grading that it would get PF70, as NGC defines a Proof 70 coin as having "no post-production imperfections at 5x magnification"

Edited by timsk
clarity

10 hours ago, timsk said:

I decided to go for the latest series from the Royal Mint: 'Six Decades of 007'. Fair play to them, I only ordered the coin on Wednesday 15th and it arrived yesterday (Saturday 18th). At first glance, it looked okay. Upon closer inspection, I noticed some marks on the outer rim and kept my fingers crossed that these were on the capsule. As I carefully started to unscrew it, the marks didn't move. ☹️

Discounting a slabbed King Charles III Efigy Set (Graded MS70), I've bought 12 proof coins from the Royal Mint and, if I send this one back, it will be the 4th coin that I've returned for a replacement. Perhaps, with my relative inexperience, I'm just being overly critical and that the issues I see are well within acceptable parameters? So folks, please take a look at the pic's below and tell me if you think I'm being too picky and that I should just accept the coin and move on . . .

007_1.thumb.jpg.0ca7d7abd4a9c6eed58d50d4b0bd2f1b.jpg

007_2.thumb.jpg.eff9e8bfac291063a2ff9a39165c3e7d.jpg

Do these blow off? I wondered whether they might be splinters of acrylic that have shed from the case.

I'm sure most people on here will be familiar with the ridiculous amount of quality issues I've had with coins from the mint this year - and the problems I've had trying to get them resolved.

So to cut a long story short, I ended up going to the mint recently to have a meeting with the director of operations and some quality people. I was truly impressed by what I heard, but also mindful that I'd already been promised improvements (which didn't happen) by various other people previously. They acknowledged they'd let me down and wanted me to give them another chance, but I wasn't prepared to buy anything significant again until the past problems had been made up for.

So they arranged to send me a free silver proof 2023 definitive set.

I have just received it, and this is what one of the coins looks like...

image.thumb.png.93a3f7abb338cef3dff1685b466e1a36.png

12 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Do these blow off? I wondered whether they might be splinters of acrylic that have shed from the case.

As it happens, I used to dabble in photography in the good ol' days of film and have a fine blower brush used for removing dust from camera lenses and negatives etc. - so I used that. And guess what: it worked! Thank you for the suggestion Paul - I'd never have thought of that. That's a relief and a valuable lesson for the future.

👍

For anyone wanting a blower brush, this is the sort of thing I have: Kood Small Blower Brush

11 hours ago, paulmerton said:

. . . So to cut a long story short, I ended up going to the mint recently to have a meeting with the director of operations and some quality people . . .

That's really shocking. Given who you are, you'd think they'd get several of their top people to go over the coins with a fine toothcomb before dispatching them to you. 

The last time I had a proof coin with imperfections which had to be returned to them for replacement - I was in contact with their Customer Services department and asked for the details of the head of Quality Control (QC) so I could write to him/her. They refused my request, but suggested I send the letter as an e-mail attachment to them (i.e. Customer Services) and they would forward the letter to the appropriate person. So, I did that and, as a matter of courtesy, I asked them to confirm that the relevant member of staff had received my letter. For belt 'n braces, I enclosed a hard copy of the letter with the coin when I returned it, so I know for certain that it will have been seen by someone! (Just in case anyone's wondering, the letter was very polite and I offered to help improve their QC protocols - which I'm well qualified to do.) Well, unlike you Paul, I've heard nothing, not even an acknowledgement - let alone a proper reply. I'm old school and, IMO, this is inexcusable. But perhaps I'm just out of touch with how businesses operate these days and replying to letters from dissatisfied customers isn't something they bother with any more. ☹️

24 minutes ago, timsk said:

That's really shocking. Given who you are, you'd think they'd get several of their top people to go over the coins with a fine toothcomb before dispatching them to you. 

The last time I had a proof coin with imperfections which had to be returned to them for replacement - I was in contact with their Customer Services department and asked for the details of the head of Quality Control (QC) so I could write to him/her. They refused my request, but suggested I send the letter as an e-mail attachment to them (i.e. Customer Services) and they would forward the letter to the appropriate person. So, I did that and, as a matter of courtesy, I asked them to confirm that the relevant member of staff had received my letter. For belt 'n braces, I enclosed a hard copy of the letter with the coin when I returned it, so I know for certain that it will have been seen by someone! (Just in case anyone's wondering, the letter was very polite and I offered to help improve their QC protocols - which I'm well qualified to do.) Well, unlike you Paul, I've heard nothing, not even an acknowledgement - let alone a proper reply. I'm old school and, IMO, this is inexcusable. But perhaps I'm just out of touch with how businesses operate these days and replying to letters from dissatisfied customers isn't something they bother with any more. ☹️

Send them a tweet! (@royalmintuk) Include pictures of the coins and letters

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

It does look more like some sort of substance is on the coin that looks like it can be blown away with a couple of squirts of a lens blower (for cameras). As it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the coin itself, still such foreign objects or substance shouldn't be included as an extra on the coin. As for the definitive set, send it straight back. 

The small shreds are from the capsule,(which has already been mentioned) however these need to be removed from the capsule as they will scratch the coin surface if they get into the wrong place.

Most likely cause would be coin finning, which would have caused an almost saw like blade on the edge of the coin.

This is usually caused by to much pressure which will show as a fin around the entire coin, or a die tilt which will show the fin on one side, where the metal has squeezed between the die neck and collar.

Not sure by the picture, if this is why you have swarf, however it would be worth looking at the edge to see if it has a fin.        

28 minutes ago, blackadder said:

On two occasions i waited for a refund for nearly two months :( dog turd company

I'm still waiting on another company to send a replacement, however being in Germany I'm still waiting on the original set arriving with that retail company that sent out a dog turd of a base metal proof set. So it seems its not just strictly the silver proof set or silver coins either that are affected. I have asked them to pre check however the problem is if they will have any in stock by the time the original set arrives for them to send out the replacement.