• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Spanish Toro and Lynx (and Caballo)

n1k0s

Hello to everyone, 

I'd like to hear your opinion on the spanish bullion coins, depicting the lynx, the toro and the caballo. 

On one hand these are very nice looking reverse-proof coins with a ton of security features and very low mintage (12K for the 1oz Lynx, 15K for the 1oz Toro). So i can imagine many people would like to have them in their collection.

On the other hand though, the premiums for these coins are at the top end, around 15%, which I don't think are seen at any other 1oz coins. 

My question to the collective TS expertise is: is it worth the investment? do you think there is a market for these scarce but expensive coins? 

thanks a lot!

I have the 1/10 lynx and have been watching the 1/10 Toro at  bbp.  https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/world-coins/spanish-coins/2023-tenth-ounce-spanish-gold-bull-coin/. With  25% premium, I consider the 1/10 Oz to be an acceptable indulgence with a £50 premium or £40 excess premium, rather than the £200+ premium on the 1 Oz versions of these beautiful coins. I will get the 1/10 Toro at some point when I allow myself!! Less cgt issues also with non UK coins if bought in smaller denominations. 

Edited by PhilB
Amend

I absolutely love these coins. I only have it in the 1/10th format. 

@Bogart will be able to give us his interpretation on the 1oz coins. 

Sooner or later the premium you pay now for the 1oz or 1/10th will eventually become spot price if your a long term holder. 

Buy if you like 

I have the 1oz lynx, it's one of my favourite coins I own. The detail in it and quality is fantastic.

When you think about the price, look at what the royal mint charges for a proof gold 1oz coin, for instance a 1oz British monarchs coin is currently £2770! If you go on the Spanish mint's website, they show you what they charge premium wise on these coins. 

The one tenth, they say the price of the coin will be the price of spot plus a 22% premium. It also looks like the Spanish mint are the cheapest place to buy them (excluding postage)

https://tienda.fnmt.es/fnmttv/fnmt/en/Products/Coins/Bullion/1-10-OUNCE-GOLD-"BULL"-2023/p/92930100

16 hours ago, James32 said:

I think @Bogart is a big fan of said coins.

Absolutely am. I know premiums puts people off certain coins. I got my Horse direct from Spanish Mint premium was 12%. I would actually not order direct again after all the hassle, now resolved, I got from DHL regarding VAT. Only bought it direct as Sharps Pixley , off whom I got the Lynx and the Bull, stated they had no plans to stock the Horse. So what did they go and do? yes in stock now. I do not buy coins just to have gold but because I like something that looks lovely too.

Edited by Bogart

14 hours ago, Tn21 said:

I absolutely love these coins. I only have it in the 1/10th format. 

@Bogart will be able to give us his interpretation on the 1oz coins. 

Sooner or later the premium you pay now for the 1oz or 1/10th will eventually become spot price if your a long term holder. 

Buy if you like 

Spot on ,forgive the pun. You have, in my mind, got to like the look of a coin as well not just think of it as a piece of metal which say a bar is.

3 hours ago, Bogart said:

I do not buy coins just to have gold but because I like something that looks lovely too.

Absolutely agree. However, there is a certain boundary until when I buy a coin. I do love so many coins but when the premium is totally off i am stepping back. In case I need to see a coin again (hopefully it will never happen) then mostly you get spot (or under). 

2 hours ago, n1k0s said:

Personally, I find they cross the border of good-value. I would allow myself an indulgence up to some 15-20% over spot, but 40% for the 1/10s is a bit too much. 

I may have inadvertently misinformed with the original statement of 40%premium on the 1/10s. I have amended to around 25% if postage excluded. It's around £40 Per coin premium excl post. Hope this helps.