• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Krugerrand mintages

Silverlocks

Krugerrands can be collectible coins.

In 1980, when the SAM launched the fractional Krugerand, they released for this occasion a special "VIP" set of fractional proof coins (1/10th, 1/4 and 1/2oz in proof ) with a tiny mintage of only 60 coins for each size, 

I have been lucky to get  the 1/10 and even 2 * 1/4oz fractional gold proof for a  reasonable price and I am still hunting  the 1/2oz proof.

I am curious to know what would be the market price of such set.  I don't have a recent price for the whole set, the last auction price was 9775$ I have is from an Heritage Auction in 2007 (spot around 700$)

Edited by Frenchie

13 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Krugerrands can be collectible coins.

In 1980, when the SAM launched the fractional Krugerand, they released for this occasion a special "VIP" set of fractional proof coins (1/10th, 1/4 and 1/2oz in proof ) with a tiny mintage of only 60 coins for each size, 

I have been lucky to get  the 1/10 and even 2 * 1/4oz fractional gold proof for a  reasonable price and I am still hunting  the 1/2oz proof.

I am curious to know what would be the market price of such set.  I don't have a recent price for the whole set, the last auction price was 9775$ I have is from an Heritage Auction in 2007 (spot around 700$)

I've seen 1967 bullion Krugerrands in poor condition selling for several thousand of pounds. Proof sets with mintage of 60 may well be in the mid 5 digits I guess

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

I have a few krugs. There is a 2017 proof 6 coin set with the 50 year anniversary privy along with the 1oz 1967 proof restrike with privy and some others associated with the 50 year anniversary. I did also have the platinum 1oz 2017 but sold them. All though they are nice I'm not too attached to them and would let them go if it meant my sovereign collection came closer to being completed.

I know the Krugerrands used to be quite popular. I remember my father trading for quite a few in the mid 80's. I think he sold his stash years ago though.

4 minutes ago, Petra said:

Krugerrand were popular when there was very little else around, certainly in the 1oz size. I think nowadays there are much better looking coins of all sizes🤔😮

The CGT status doesn't help them either nowadays. Still a cracking coin to have some examples of.

I am krugerrand crazy, I used to go down the gold mines in the mid 70's. 20 tonnes of rock had to be hoisted 8000 feet, in 3 lifts to the surface, then crushed to make 1 oz of gold for a 1979 kruger for my daughters birth.

They have gone up a bit since then. South Africa's gold mines are completely depleted now, Anglo American did a good job eh!

The mine dumps around Joburg have been re-worked to get every last g of gold out. A lot of arsenic was used in the old days.

Hope nobody licks their gold coins too much.

The silver krugers are my weakness nowadays. Plenty of silver left still in RSA.

Great red wine from the Cape too.

21 minutes ago, Petra said:

I seen one currently up for sale at £2,750🤔😮

I guess it will depend on the condition, but personally I'm not too much into Krugerrands. Might pick up one or two new strikes just for variety of my stack, but the design seems very average to me.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

On 22/10/2023 at 16:15, ZRPMs said:

The CGT status doesn't help them either nowadays. Still a cracking coin to have some examples of.

This is the problem. With the UK clamping down on profit before CGT comes in, it puts pressure on what people are prepared to buy, hold and potentially pay tax on later..

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

11 minutes ago, goluckystayhappy said:

Where would be the best place to sell some of the more sought after Krugerrands.

Depends on how 'sought after'.  If you've got a 1967 proof you're probably best off going to one of the rare coin outfits.  Otherwise, here on TSF or one of the PM groups on FB, most likely.  If you're going to charge a premium for rarer years they might take a little while to shift.  You might also try listing them in a Coins of the Realm Auction, or if you have a larger number that you're trying to shift, maybe try through @BackyardBullion's newsletter.  If they're collectible years, maybe one of the world gold people like @DuncanWylieWilson or @Auronum, although they will doubtless want their cut.  However, they might be worth talking to to see if they think they can sell at significantly over bullion to a collector, in which case it might be worth your while to wear their margin.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.