• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Precious Metals Anonymous

Bought my first sovereign from a dark curio shop down an old narrow alley leading to an indoor market. Gave a couple of hundred for it then found out they were only going for about £180 but to be honest I think I'd back up the wagon if they were still that price. Silver was a few tubes of ASE's from a bloke on the car boot for £300 a tube. Recently got my sigma. Not going to lie, I was quite worried when I tested them. All good though.

9 minutes ago, James32 said:

Pretty sure that was a love token ya kinky so and so 

Oh yeah Image result for roman love token Never mind, scratch that.

My first sovereign must have been at the auction then. That time I thought I'd bought that cabinet then they fetched out this little coin. Whooo, I said. I've given you 220 pounds and in return you've only given me one back. A-ha they said " but this is a magic coin you can exchange for a cow that you can then swap for some magic beans. 

Sorry folks, Going out my head with hunger at the minuet. I was going to delete that last lot but what the hell. Try and have a laugh.

1 hour ago, ZRPMs said:

..Silver was a few tubes of ASE's from a bloke on the car boot for £300 a tube. Recently got my sigma. Not going to lie, I was quite worried when I tested them. All good though.

Keeping a healthy distance from magnets also helps..😅

Feken ell, tube of ASEs from a bloke on a car boot, that takes some guts

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

10 minutes ago, JohnA1 said:

Keeping a healthy distance from magnets also helps..😅

Feken ell, tube of ASEs from a bloke on a car boot, that takes some guts

NBS page 3105, Twelfth comment down. Mine are like them in the cart.

2 hours ago, ZRPMs said:

Bought my first sovereign from a dark curio shop down an old narrow alley leading to an indoor market. Gave a couple of hundred for it then found out they were only going for about £180 but to be honest I think I'd back up the wagon if they were still that price. Silver was a few tubes of ASE's from a bloke on the car boot for £300 a tube. Recently got my sigma. Not going to lie, I was quite worried when I tested them. All good though.

What car boot is that? All I get at mine is DVD's and pound shop items.

2 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

What car boot is that? All I get at mine is DVD's and pound shop items.

I haven't been since long before the old convids. God only knows what's there now. It was one if not the largest car boots in North Wales.

Car boot…. missed out on a good folder of coins by about 20 seconds!😮usual tins with pretty rough looking everyday coins, however, one car-boot here gets a guy with literally a boot full of folders full of great old silver coins and he is willing to let some go at great prices!😮

36 minutes ago, SidS said:

I guess I got shafted on the half (considering I was picking them up in the early 2000s at £35 a pop), but I did rather well on the full sovereign.

You're doing even better for being here at TSF, that's what really counts

Hey, if I were to count the smart moves I've made in my life (with painful honesty and benefit of 20/20 hindsight) I'd be hard pressed to find even a few. Most were youth-fueled stupidities, time-wasting and making other people (and corporations) richer.

Even those that I regarded as 'smart' and 'safe' at the time were probably neither (looking back is a biatch)

But hey, what I've observed is that usually you don't need to make many smart moves in your life to be ahead - a couple may be enough. Most people make none.

Edited by JohnA1

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

Just thinking back to the early days of the internet and having to post a cheque and wait until it cleared before you got your merch..Four first-class stamps used to cost £1 now they cost £5 If you had invested in 1st class stamps back then it probably would have given the same returns as gold    (I'm semi-joking)

I'm alright, Jack, Keep your hands off of my stack

Would that really be investing or struggling to retain purchasing power?

We are being fooled by ever-increasing GBP prices into thinking these are 'gains', hence CGT etc

But these nominal gains in reality are losses, as the purchasing power keeps going down if you apply the real price index

</rant>

Edited by JohnA1