• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed 5kg Umicore Silver Bar £20 per oz £3200

13 minutes ago, scotwasp said:

Ok 

I tried not to show my lack of knowledge but it has got the better of me.  What is the weight in water thing.

I’ve never seen that before? 
👍

Specific gravity test, very easy to do and really helpful on larger bars.

https://youtu.be/GH6h6GhEDjA?si=yWrWb0Fy6X8uAAZd

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

8 hours ago, scotwasp said:

Ok 

I tried not to show my lack of knowledge but it has got the better of me.  What is the weight in water thing.

👍

I’d never heard of this either, so I’m glad you asked the question!

12 hours ago, scotwasp said:

Ok 

👍

Several videos out there but BYB

explains it well here 

This is very interesting. Can I find the specific gravity of say 900 or 800 silver from the specific gravity of 999? 

Would it be any more accurate to tare the scales with the empty pan and then add the water? Or am I over complicating matters?

7 minutes ago, littleredflower said:

This is very interesting. Can I find the specific gravity of say 900 or 800 silver from the specific gravity of 999? 

Would it be any more accurate to tare the scales with the empty pan and then add the water? Or am I over complicating matters?

Specific gravity of .999 silver 10.41

Sterling silver 10.36

90% silver 10.31

80% silver 10.13

In regards to water/pot and scales, yes your over complicating it, just zero scales when water is on top.

10 minutes ago, James32 said:

Specific gravity of .999 silver 10.41

Sterling silver 10.36

90% silver 10.31

80% silver 10.13

In regards to water/pot and scales, yes your over complicating it, just zero scales when water is on top.

Thanks @James32 I'll now enjoy figuring out the relationships. I'm awaiting arrival of a middle eastern piece of 900? which is getting towards 2 kilo and can hopefully verify without pestering my local friendly jeweller.

4 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Does it matter what the silver is alloyed with?

To be completely honest, I've only ever done pure silver, so I can't answer that with a straight face. @stefffana likes  lower .800 etc, maybe he can answer that.

8 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Does it matter what the silver is alloyed with?

Actually I doubt it on coins as 90% of something is 90% and should get you close enough to be in the ballpark of being genuine. Maybe on a 50kg bar it would play a role 😆