• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are slabbed Gillicks less than MS64 worth collecting?

Divmad

I'm new to the grading side of coin collecting. I haven't yet sent any of my sovereigns for grading but I can see a growing interest and demand for slabbed sovereigns on public market places. My question is, where is the line drawn for genuine collectors of Gillick sovereigns for the acceptable MS grade? 64? 63? Or does it just come down to the price point for each grade being deemed to be "good value"? And will the higher grades appreciate at a faster clip in the long run (assuming a rising POG) than the lower grades?

MS-63 to MS-64 Gillicks are pretty common, as Gillicks were never circulated as currency.  Therefore, graded ones in these grades are fairly common, and don't attract a large premium.  Grading Gillicks in this condition is likely to be fairly marginal in terms of increase in value; you might or might not get the cost of grading the coins back.  It's mostly down to rarity.  Coins that are rare in the grade will attract a higher premium.  There are, for example, Victorian-era sovereigns where the best grade on any example is perhaps MS-62 or something like that.  In this case, an example graded MS-62 will go for a premium.  I think for most Gillicks, the highest grades are about MS-66, and you're really looking at MS-65 or so to see a significant premium.  The grading company web sites have statistics for this, and you can look at auction histories to get some other stats.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Most Gillicks look excellent from the St George side, the effigy side tend to let them down as marks and scratches stand out like a sore thumb. 

Personally I would not grade a Gillick, paying £65 leaves very little upside to profit. 

Never Chase and Never Regret 

Gillicks tend to show marks on the effigy quite badly for some reason.  The portrait itself doesn't have a lot of relief, so it's not easy to get really good pictures of.  Then you get marks on Liz's cheek that makes her look like she's got vitiligo or cystic acne.  I think the main cause of this is that the finish is usually intact on Gillicks, so where there are blemishes on it, these tend to show up.  Ironically the good condition of the coins works against them in this respect.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

I guess if you can buy an MS63 1957 cheaper than a raw, why wouldn't you? Crack the holder and enjoy the coin.

It is correct to assume that the price of an MS66 will fall if and when an MS67 is graded.

The prices in top grades are still very strong, see eg. the current TCC Premium auction. 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Similar sort of question could be asked for Victoria shields.  MS60s + go for top dollar.  Is it worth paying over for AU 53 or worse with details?  In my opinion no , and I'd break them out of the slabs. Gillicks less than MS64 bit pointless I'd say to pay over . Use your own judgement.  Buy a nice raw coin and enjoy it.