• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice request - 1977 Elizabeth II Jubilee Silver Proof Crown

SALondoner

On eBay, in the official box, you can normally find a few in the range £25-£35.  However this coin has tended to tone over time and so it is not easy finding a good looking one.  The one above does look to be in good condition but it does seem expensive.  The box looks nice - is it an old RM box with a plaque stuck on the front?

9 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

On eBay, in the official box, you can normally find a few in the range £25-£35.  However this coin has tended to tone over time and so it is not easy finding a good looking one.  The one above does look to be in good condition but it does seem expensive.  The box looks nice - is it an old RM box with a plaque stuck on the front?

Yes it does seem to be a good box with a plaque in front. I saw it on the Kensington Mint Instagram which appeared as advertising to me.  

I'm weary of buying off eBay unless someone can recommend a good seller/s in the UK on eBay?

Edited by SALondoner

7 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Yes, you have to be careful on eBay, but I have been buying stamps and coins on eBay for 20 years and I've never had a real problem.

Before bidding, look at what else the person is selling.  If they normally sell coins and they have good feedback, you should be ok.  I think where you could be disappointed relates to the condition of this coin.  As I said earlier, the plain fields on this coin have tended to become dull and misty over the years, so study the pictures carefully.

The real time to worry is if the seller is only selling one expensive coin and the rest of their items are second damaged hand toys or clothing!

Also there are some chancers that try to claim the ordinary cupro-nickel coin is silver!  So watch out for this.

Thank you @Zhorro, this is useful info. 

One of the most beautiful modern coins IMO. Almost 400k silver proofs minted, so there are plenty around.

I personally wouldn't pay a penny over £20 for a perfect one, in its original box with CoA.

Stick up a wanted ad, there will be thousands of them lying around in TSF members stacks!

If you don't already have one then it's definitely worth getting, a very, very pretty coin.

4 hours ago, TheShinyStuff said:

One of the most beautiful modern coins IMO. Almost 400k silver proofs minted, so there are plenty around.

I personally wouldn't pay a penny over £20 for a perfect one, in its original box with CoA.

Stick up a wanted ad, there will be thousands of them lying around in TSF members stacks!

If you don't already have one then it's definitely worth getting, a very, very pretty coin.

It is an attractive coin. I'll go hunting for them. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. 

6 hours ago, stefffana said:

Thank you for these leads! I'm going to have a look tonight!