• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New 2023 sovereign

25 minutes ago, Dankanugget said:

Are people buying the new coronation 2023 sovereign or preferably buying older bullion sovs  for look and originality?

Older sovs seem priced a lot higher than the new

I tend to buy best value sovereigns, as I like to be able to handle my gold & not have them in capsules, however when special events occur I do pick them up, so recently I've had to have had deep pockets, so many special occasions. You can pick up older sovereigns if you're not fussy about a particular year, most company's do a best value range & from all monarchs from Victoria to Elizabeth.

Edited by Dobber

I tend to prefer whatever is good value for bullion sovs at the time, it doesn't have to be a special design. I do however make sure to get a proof half sovereign each year to catch any special designs, as dobber says its been a busy time for those! I'm still missing a 2022 Jubilee from the collection 🙂

Im aiming to purchase the C3 coronation sovereign thats just been released. Also have the 2023 C3 and memorial and a couple of 2022s. So all being equal, itll be a couple next year then concentrate on a few older sovs. Birth dates etc. Would also like a decent condition Young Vic at some point.

I keep buying modern Sovs but purely because they keep releasing one year/event specific Sovs so feel they’ll hold a little extra value over the long term. Jubilee/memorial/crowned KCIII has been quite the run. Once this is over and it’s back to normal George and Dragon Sovs, I’ll go back to buying the older ones, just because I like the young Vics and Gillicks specifically but ideally, pick them up as best value

If you’re at all interested in proof or special releases then this last 18 mths has been a absolute (very expensive ) treat so atm I’m buying more of the new releases, proof and bullion, but usually I’m a minty best value guy. Previously mainly in 1oz + but I’m moving to sovs now for added interest. 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

I tend to buy old sovereigns only because they have both the gold content and a numismatic value. 

I don't see KC sovereigns to carry a numismatic value in the future. 

I think KCIII coins have as much chance as any other reigning monarch. Imho. In 100 years if the monarchy is still here then no one will care about his personal popularity. Victoria became very unpopular later in her reign. It’s the coin designs, mintages and scarcity over time that matter. There’s nothing intrinsic to Charles that makes theses coins less valuable over time. Plus imho the Jennings portrait is top notch. How many years will it last? 

Aaaahhh😉

The numismatic value comes in those that were used for daily transactions.  That's the victoria, george, edward and maybe gillick. 

There is a collectible character in those coins that is not there anymore in the QEII and KCIII. They don't have the tiny S, M, SA mint marks or the inverted V for A. The horse tails are identical, the ghosting effect is not there, and basically the variability is gone. 

Yeah some people like that, I do too. But I also like newer made for investment coins. That’s the joy of sovereigns, there’s something for all. 
Who squirrelling away coronation sovs in 1901 or 1910 could foresee the end to the gold standard, 100,000s of coins melted down or sent over seas? You never know what’s around the corner. 

Aaaahhh😉

On 08/07/2023 at 13:15, JamesH said:

I keep buying modern Sovs but purely because they keep releasing one year/event specific Sovs

Since the mint started releasing many variants of many coins/designs even in regular coins, 50p, £1 coin etc. I've increasingly been caught with foreign coins in my change from smaller outlets (corner shops), A Euro or some other 'weird' currency/coin instead of a Pound for instance. Different versions are nice for collectors, not so nice for others. A non-issue of course if you pay digitally, however I strive to support retention of money rather than supporting a total adoption of digital only.

47 minutes ago, Bratnia said:

Since the mint started releasing many variants of many coins/designs even in regular coins, 50p, £1 coin etc. I've increasingly been caught with foreign coins in my change from smaller outlets (corner shops), A Euro or some other 'weird' currency/coin instead of a Pound for instance. Different versions are nice for collectors, not so nice for others. A non-issue of course if you pay digitally, however I strive to support retention of money rather than supporting a total adoption of digital only.

You’ve lost me I’m afraid. If I were to be given a sovereign of any sort in my change I’d be happy as a Larry. Maybe we’re at odds given I’m talking Sov stacking vs regular spending currency?