• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

If you don't hold it, you don't own it

3 minutes ago, Nik said:

It's the BBC, what's the motive behind the story?

1. Push toward record keeping for when Mr Global wants our stash?

That's just bizarre thinking. Never mind the countless other news outlets around the world that have covered the exact same story in pretty much exactly the same way.

17 minutes ago, Nik said:

It's the BBC, what's the motive behind the story?

1. Push toward record keeping for when Mr Global wants our stash?

I'm really not into conspiracy theories, the BBC has many faults, but in reality, the world is just a lot more boring than people think it is. Literally all the people that were affected had to do was initially take delivery of their silver rather than vaulting it (would have been apparent much earlier on there were issues if they weren't delivering anything at all). Once in there hands it could go wherever they chose, no records beyond the initial purchase, which is the same for vaulting or direct delivery, even secondary market is tracible unless you do face to face, cash only.

What you have here is a con artist that was defrauding people of their investment.

It does show some of the risks of the paper and gold silver market as well, although, whilst there is undoubtedly fraud in this market too, it does serve a purpose to allow investment\trading without having to ship hundreds of tons of metal around the world on a constant basis. Imagine trying to trade daily fluctuations in spot but you couldn't sell what you purchased until the boat from China turned up 2 months later.

38 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

That's just bizarre thinking. Never mind the countless other news outlets around the world that have covered the exact same story in pretty much exactly the same way.

All with the same headline. I'd prefer to be wrong but it won't stop me preparing and exploring contingencies.  I'm not a fan of paper representing any wealth.

'The regulator said that over 500,000 American Silver Eagle coins and more than 9,000 gold coins were missing from customers' accounts.

In their place, investigators said that they found "'IOU' slips in empty boxes marked to indicate a customer's account, yet containing no assets."'

Sounds like most High Street banks with their fractional reserve lending to be honest. You deposit your money in, they loan and lend it out and use it for other banking purposes. There's a fraction available for you to take on demand say £300 per day. Any more you need the appointment and the cavity search before they'll hand it over. In a large part, I suspect this is because it's 'on loan' and they only have enough to cover £300 per customer and additional for a few larger withdrawals.

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

Countless news outlets that are all under the same overarching ownership by any chance?

I wouldn't be surprised if it (hypothetically) turns out that the dude had a tip off that the confiscation mafia were on their way and moved the silver to a safe location.  Media wouldn't report that though.

Another link to the affair: Federal Court Orders Two Delaware Companies to Pay Nearly $146 Million for Misappropriation and Fraud Related to a Precious Metals Scheme | CFTC

Reminds me of this one that James Delingpole is touting: Monetary Metals offers investors a yield on gold, paid in gold (monetary-metals.com)

Searching "Robert Higgins" "Argent Asset Group" pulls up news stories but no testimonials from victims and no images of the man himself.  There appears to be no history except for the media.

His "sell" site in 2015 (wayback machine link) First State Depository, LLC (archive.org)

His site now: First State Depository Company, LLC Receivership (fsdreceivership.com)

Edited by Nik
Add links.

1 minute ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Sal's a good guy and he's not a hype-machine. He has predicted both of the recent drops to $23 and $22, although he only trades physical not paper AFAIK

I wasn't knocking him, I watch his video's myself.  It was more toward passing on stories from the media.