• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Looking to start a 1/10th coin set.

DTL1982

Hi All,

Newbie to the forum and to creating a run of a specific size.  To date, I've mostly bought silver to collect/stack but have some inherited gold pieces [French roosters and pre-1933 U.S.].  I saw another thread on a 1/10th run and it looks like a fun way to put together a set that will satisfy the collector in me whilst still holding some gold value.  I'd like to do different coins to compose the set and so far I only have a 1/10 Krugerrand.  Other than the obvious choices [Eagle, Maple, Britannia, Philharmonic, Panda, and Kangaroo] I was looking at the Isle of Man cat series as one option but I saw a few posts in past threads that poked fun at those.  Is it because of the design or is there something about them that makes them a less-than-desirable coin for collecting/stacking?  I quite like cats [they ARE the aristocrats of the animal kingdom after all! LOL] and find many of the designs of various years to be quite nice.  Thoughts about including one?

Edited by DTL1982

The issue with the Isle of man gold might be, that you pay premium you might not get back. It is much more easier to buy and sell Brits, Maples, Krugers etc. but if it comes to the cats from the island it could be little more difficult. However, if you like it, go for it. 

9 minutes ago, LunarStack said:

The issue with the Isle of man gold might be, that you pay premium you might not get back. It is much more easier to buy and sell Brits, Maples, Krugers etc. but if it comes to the cats from the island it could be little more difficult. However, if you like it, go for it. 

Yea I figure the premium would be hard to recoup which is one reason I’m apprehensive on putting together a whole set of the cats. I enjoy the topic and the various changing designs but I’ve a feeling it’s likely money that could never be recouped for much over spot price. However, to just add one 1/10 coin to a run of various 1/10ths, most of which would have lower premiums, I think I could live with it in order to get a cool cat coin in my collection. 

21 minutes ago, Petra said:

Great idea …. lots of variations on the Britannia!

Yes I’ll definitely add one Britannia as I find it one of the more beautiful bullion coins. As far as the full run, I’d like ten different coins from ten different countries (or territories) at 1/10 each to complete an ounce set. 

In my opinion:

1. Australia Perth Mint, kookaburra

2. Australia Perth Mint, lunar

3. Austria, philharmonic

4. Canada, maple leaf

5. China, panda (3 g)

6. Mexico, libertad

7. Somalia, elephant

8. South Africa, krugerrand

9. Spain, doubloon

10. UK, Britannia 

the pressburg ones are fab, but not cheap as limited mintages, generally only 1000 or 3000,  give me a shout if you fancy one of those... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 hour ago, stich said:

In my opinion:

1. Australia Perth Mint, kookaburra

2. Australia Perth Mint, lunar

3. Austria, philharmonic

4. Canada, maple leaf

5. China, panda (3 g)

6. Mexico, libertad

7. Somalia, elephant

8. South Africa, krugerrand

9. Spain, doubloon

10. UK, Britannia 

Hmmm no US gold eagle? Lol. I know the premiums are nuts but I feel like I should at least have one. The Libertad premiums are usually high too but it is a beautiful coin.

Why would you recommend Somalia over the Manx coin?  Just because it is more common in bullion circles? Certainly I would think the UK/IoM govt is more stable than the Somali one but nowadays everything is a mess everywhere.  For the African wildlife coins, I like the leopard more than the elephant TBH but I couldn’t find info on a 1/10 gold in that series. The 2017 elephant is quite pretty though so it’s a possibility. I would likely get a true 1/10 panda from pre-2016 as well to keep everything in Troy measurements. I’m still annoyed that China changed to metric against almost the entire world’s precious metals markets. 

1 hour ago, AaaGee said:

Id reccomend a 2023 QE2 & 2023 CIII Brits. May have some extra value in the future. First and last and all that.

I will definitely get one of each of those in silver (I have the KCIII already) for the exact reason you mentioned. 

20 minutes ago, Brit2023 said:

How about a Korean tiger, limited run but would maybe satisfy your feline craving?🤓

They are beautiful AND feline however I didn’t think they were truly coins even though they are made by the govt mint. Are they actually legal tender? I would prefer official coins when possible. 

Maybe after I complete this set I can make a set of all feline coins from different countries haha. Lions are on oodles of coins but it may be fun to fine non-lion felines. 

57 minutes ago, stich said:

Us gold eagle has a purity of .9167. It’s a nice coin but I prefer .999

I've got a few gold eagles and never noticed that.  Just checked and you're right, 22 carat instead of 24!  I still like the design though, so will continue to buy them! 😄 

Kruggerands are 22ct as well.

Perth mint did a 1/10th gold rabbit this year.  I really like the Spanish Bull (Toro) from this year as well.  I've seen a Cook islands ship with sails from last year.  I also like the Tokelau 'Terra', which I have in 1oz silver, but think the design may be a bit difficult to see in 1/10th gold, and the premiums were more than I wanted to pay last time I checked.

Edited by Minted

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Minted said:

As seen in the 'coming soon' thread, there's a 1/10th gold Koala being released next month.  BBP already has a page for them.  I'm hoping one of the more affordable UK dealers will get them in a little cheaper. 🙂

2023 1/10oz Gold Koala Coin | BullionByPost - From £191.70

That's really cute.  An Australian coin will definitely be part of the ten coin run.

2 hours ago, Minted said:

As seen in the 'coming soon' thread, there's a 1/10th gold Koala being released next month.  BBP already has a page for them.  I'm hoping one of the more affordable UK dealers will get them in a little cheaper. 🙂

2023 1/10oz Gold Koala Coin | BullionByPost - From £191.70

Thanks for flagging that, asked on the new coins coming soon thread and the very reliable @daca was again on the ball, but none were U.K based. BBP used to get something of a bad press from a certain Mr L.C on here, but they are stealing a March on 1/10’s available, as once again Chards are missing the trick on these.