• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

unwrapped proof sovereigns

Hotdog

I've two full proof sovereigns a 1991 & 1992 with the original Royal Mint plastic sealed wrapper around the boxed coins. The certificates are visible inside. If I was selling, would they be more valuable with the wrapper in place i.e. indicating that the coins have never been handled, or would prospective buyers need to see photos of the coins ??

proof sovs unopened.jpg

The coins, of course. Better still, place them in some NGC plastic coffins and raise your price by 50%.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

wow - it takes some serious restraint not to open up these coins over the last 32 years 

Im usually like this guy the second after the postman left! 

Excited Present GIF - Excited Present - Discover & Share GIFs | Gif, Excited,  Cool gifs

I think buyers would need to see the coin before purchase - they could be copper spotted in there.  Maybe throw in an unboxing video.  

Edited by harrygill111

There is always some scepticism around whether a claim of a coin being unhandled and of grading quality is true. The plastic helps with reassurance, but ultimately good pics of the coin wins. 

However, you do see coins going for premiums in auctions with poor pictures (i.e. with little evidence of proof grade). Perhaps thats the exit for these??  

Edited by harrygill111
I cant spell on Friday afternoons!

Photo of coin is the most important thing. Who is to know how those coins were stored over so many years. They could have been in a damp cellar.  At the end of the day, you will be selling a proof coin, not a promise that there might be a nice proof coin in the box.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

If you do decide to sell them one day, why not take pictures of them still sealed and then opened. What about even a small video showing the process of you opening them for the first time. That way the potential buyer can see they were sealed but also the coins. Sites such as eBay allow you to add videos now. However always try on here first. Save on fees and help other collectors/stackers, have the opportunity of acquiring what look to be two very nice coins. 

On 13/05/2023 at 00:29, Hotdog said:

I've two full proof sovereigns a 1991 & 1992 with the original Royal Mint plastic sealed wrapper around the boxed coins. The certificates are visible inside. If I was selling, would they be more valuable with the wrapper in place i.e. indicating that the coins have never been handled, or would prospective buyers need to see photos of the coins ??

proof sovs unopened.jpg

If you were in Australia, I’d have considered meeting you and opening the boxes together. 😎