• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Cleaning Silver

Just a quick question. The other half has just discovered that boiling her sterling silver in a pan with loosely scrunched up aluminium foil cleans it to almost brand new condition. It got me thinking. Would this work on milky coins. I haven't tried it as I don't have any and I'm not recommending it. But has anyone else heard of this and has the milky coin issue just been fixed. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. 

P,S, it defiantly does something as the item comes out really shiny and it gives off a sulphurous smell. 

To my knowledge the aluminium foil trick is used to remove tarnish which is caused by sulphur. I think that the tarnish is silver sulfide and that since aluminium is more reactive than silver there is a chemical reaction where the aluminium "steals" the sulphur ions to create aluminium sulfide leaving the silver behind. You may notice the smell aswell so best done outside!

Milk spots I understand are due to solvents and degreasers used in the manufacturing process of the coins before a coin is struck it starts life as a round disk of silver that is cleaned before being annealed sometimes not all of the solvent/degreaser is removed before this process and so it gets baked into the round.

Edited by Fadeingstar

2 minutes ago, Fadeingstar said:

To my knowledge the aluminium foil trick is used to remove tarnish which is caused by sulphur. I think that the tarnish is silver sulfide and that since aluminium is more reactive than silver there is a chemical reaction where the aluminium "steals" the sulphur ions to create aluminium sulfide leaving the silver behind.

Milk spots I understand are due to solvents and degreasers used in the manufacturing process of the coins

I thought it would be too good to be true. Many thanks for the info. The results on her jewellery is quite impressive though

46 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Just a quick question. The other half has just discovered that boiling her sterling silver in a pan with loosely scrunched up aluminium foil cleans it to almost brand new condition. It got me thinking. Would this work on milky coins. I haven't tried it as I don't have any and I'm not recommending it. But has anyone else heard of this and has the milky coin issue just been fixed. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated. 

P,S, it defiantly does something as the item comes out really shiny and it gives off a sulphurous smell. 

Did she add baking soda or just water and foil?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Interesting presumably you could just use water and an aluminium pan 🧐

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

Cleaning tarnished ( even very heavily tarnished ) silver coins is very easy and quick using E-Zest dip ( takes a few seconds only ).
This is acidic and allegedly carcinogenic so be careful.
It costs a small fortune in the UK but is cheap as chips in the USA - we Brits like to pay 5 times the price for everything don't we ?

As for milked silver you are stuffed as nothing shifts these spots and blemishes that doesn't involve mechanical surface removal i.e. polishing.
I had some Canadian Mint coins that were badly stained and I resorted to using a Dremel polisher with jeweller's rouge.
They came up beautifully without a mark or scratch BUT this isn't an option on coins with a sandblasted grey / matt finish which are becoming much more common.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Cleaning tarnished ( even very heavily tarnished ) silver coins is very easy and quick using E-Zest dip ( takes a few seconds only ).
This is acidic and allegedly carcinogenic so be careful.
It costs a small fortune in the UK but is cheap as chips in the USA - we Brits like to pay 5 times the price for everything don't we ?

tap water and foil for me. Although the price of electric at the moment is quite high.

3 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Just dipped a few eagles in an aluminium & soda bath, with warm water... results: [https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/76096-2010-1oz-american-silver-eagles-x-6-£28-each/?do=getNewComment]

Just saw them. It works wonders. They look a million times better.

1 hour ago, ZRPMs said:

tap water and foil for me. Although the price of electric at the moment is quite high.

Best to use distilled water if you can :)

1 hour ago, Darr3nG said:

Just dipped a few eagles in an aluminium & soda bath, with warm water... results: [https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/76096-2010-1oz-american-silver-eagles-x-6-£28-each/?do=getNewComment]

Very good! Was that one of those ultrasonic baths?

Edited by kimchi

If i do it to remove slight tarnish, its a small omelette pan for me, line it with foil, pour baking soda in, lay coin on top, layer with more soda on top of coin, pour recently boiled water in at the side to cover the soda and leave, rinse off gently, dont rub

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

2 minutes ago, Gordy said:

If i do it to remove slight tarnish, its a small omelette pan for me, line it with foil, pour baking soda in, lay coin on top, layer with more soda on top of coin, pour recently boiled water in at the side to cover the soda and leave, rinse off gently, dont rub

I know we are talking about bullion but baking soda freaks me out as its so abrasive also could leave residue. Im sure is ok if done carefully but still freaks me out as does the thought of using a pencil eraser 😬😁