• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Somalia Elephant - a brief overview

I was also a collector of these and have quite a few different years as well as some with privy marks. I will try to take a look over the weekend to see if I have any of your missing ones.

I've had some further info, above and through PMs so will look to update the post over the weekend.

Thanks @sovereignsteve, that's interesting. Obviously I'd be interested in picking these up if you have them available but I have no idea on valuing then either. If any of them have gone astronomical, it may stretch my budget...

I'll try and do some research but if you have any thoughts let me know.

Thanks too @Chrisplym. If it's easy enough for you to check, then that would be good. It may be that sovereignsteve can supply all in one batch so I'm exploring that, so please don't go out of your way. But if simple enough then I'd be interested.

Thanks. 

Germany was always the best place to source them. IIRC the guy who get prosecuted for ripping off customers was a very good source. Some of the old timers might be able to remember his name.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

You might want to look on here for German dealers with Elephants in stock

Somalia Elefant Silber | Preise vergleichen auf GOLD.DE

Of course there is the dreaded Customs palaver if you import from Germany these days.

There was also a 15 year commemorative in 2018 with a mix of the 2004 version and the 2018 version.  It always looked to me as if the 2004 elephant was levitating so I wasn't keen on it - perhaps that is why I remember it.

7 hours ago, Seasider said:

You might want to look on here for German dealers with Elephants in stock

Somalia Elefant Silber | Preise vergleichen auf GOLD.DE

Of course there is the dreaded Customs palaver if you import from Germany these days.

There was also a 15 year commemorative in 2018 with a mix of the 2004 version and the 2018 version.  It always looked to me as if the 2004 elephant was levitating so I wasn't keen on it - perhaps that is why I remember it.

One dealer listed with a 2004.........€329 !!!

Good morning @FourNinesFine. I have the following years of the Somali 1oz silver elephant:

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2012 (dragon privy), 2013, 2013 (snake privy), 2014, 2014 (horse privy), 2015, 2016, 2017, 2017 (rooster privy), 2019, 2019 (pig privy), 2020.

I have to admit that I had forgotten how nice these coins look so I am no longer sure whether I want to sell. Sorry about this.

I also looked at the coins I have in my collection, and I also see why I collected them in the first place.

Like the African Wildlife Series that started in 2008 with the Gorilla, this first coin in the set fetches £300 nowadays.

I've no idea what the 2004 Somali Elephant would cost now.

I've done some further research over the weekend in order to try and establish mintage numbers. 

I'm updating the original post with findings. 

There are some discrepancies but where I could find at least a couple of sources with the same figure, I've gone with that. Some couldn't be corroborated so are assumptions. But again, I'm not claiming any authority on this info... just sharing what I've found so far. 

@sovereignsteve it looks like the mintage for the first 5 years was very low. Certainly only 5000 in 2004 and there's a fair chance that the numbers are similar for 05 through 08... though Numista does suggest up to 25,000 for 2005 and 20,000 for 2006 (but this latter may be due to the minting of an anniversary coin in the same year).

In any event, the 2004 looks like it's in the £300 region and if the rest of the early run follows a similar trend, it blows my chances of buying them in one go as a set. 

If your are minded at any point to sell them as single units, or to bundle the higher mintage ones (2009+), let me know.

On 03/04/2023 at 10:43, FourNinesFine said:

The 2015 "mule" showing the 'Ag' overstamped on the original error of 'Au'.

Not really a mule which is when an obverse and reverse that shouldn't be together are used. This is really an "overdate" or "die error"

It's the 2010 /2009 that is the mule.

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

Not really a mule which is when an obverse and reverse that shouldn't be together are used. This is really an "overdate" or "die error"

It's the 2010 /2009 that is the mule.

All i can say in my defense is that there are multiple sources that refer to this as a mule: 

"... a mule coin is one struck from two dies which were never intended to be used together."

But I'm not experienced enough to argue with anyone about it.  😆