• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Cleaning/Polishing Daily Used Silver

Arganto

Having recently discovered an enjoyment of pewter and subsequently silver drinking vessels, flatware etc I have found the desire to give the odd item a bit of a shine up. Any recommendations for methods/products for this? The bicarb, foil and hot water method is useful for getting tarnish off, but I've been looking at polishes to bring the best out of some pieces. Goddard's polish and cloth is the usual hit when searching, but I've read on some sites this can be a bit abrasive? The pieces I'm using are not super high value and are in daily use so I don't have to be too precious but I would like them to last 🌞

I've used the forum search function to seek out older posts but I don't seem to have much luck with it, I tend to get a big list of results that only have a tenuous connection to what I've asked for...is it me maybe 🤔

I can't comment on polishing or cleaning, but the following webite has some great storage bags, which prevent tarnishing (or certainly slow it down). I've used them for my flatware.

https://www.towntalkpolish.com/

(Their products are also on Amazon)

They do cleaning products too, however, I have never used those, so I cannot comment on how good they are.

3 hours ago, SidS said:

I can't comment on polishing or cleaning, but the following webite has some great storage bags, which prevent tarnishing (or certainly slow it down). I've used them for my flatware.

https://www.towntalkpolish.com/

(Their products are also on Amazon)

They do cleaning products too, however, I have never used those, so I cannot comment on how good they are.

These products are very good, indeed, for cleaning and polishing silver flatware. I have used with very good results the polishing cream TownTalk 250ml. For cloth, an old and clean 100% cotton fabric is good enough, not need to buy any brand new special cloth. 

To restore an item using an abrasive compound is ok since its not going to be a regular thing. The lacklustre finish is cause by small dings and scratches. These can only be tumbled or polished out but can't be magicked away. For regular daily cleaning handwash or dishwasher depending on products.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

After years of using different silver cleaners I've found Hagerty Silver Spray to be the least abrasive (Jewellers Rouge is the worst).
Once everything is clean and shiny you can just wash them as normal in warm soapy water, rinse and dry thoroughly.

Edited by Mobius

Thanks for the replies folks! Interestingly Tesco had a small bottle of Goddard's silver polish for a few quid so as I was there shopping anyway and I'm a tightwad I got that. It removed the tarnish from a few items and shined them up lovely. I will take the advice and not do this very often and when I start amassing a pile of daily silver that may need upkeep/restoration I will splash out on the more well regarded products mentioned here.

I'm liking this silver that's useful but still intrinsically valuable lark, more fun than a pile of coins locked up in a death star 🌞