• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is this new 1KG Metalor bar in acceptable condition?

EliteNeo

I bought this brand new 1KG Metalor silver bullion bar from a main dealer

Is the condition acceptable? This is my first bar. I understand bullion is for investment purposes, but I did choose this particular bar because I like the look and design, and intended this to be the one and only time I bought a bar this size.

Dealer site shows a flawless silver bar on their page. Elsewhere on their site they sell the same bar as pre-owned (OOS) and it has some similar marks as on the photo, perhaps worse. (Only the front is seen)

A silver Britannia in the same order is in bad shape, pretty milked. But I understand Royal Mint quality is bad.

(S/N is blanked just out of a perhaps not necessary abundance of caution, no further edits are made to the photos)

68C59DD0-D897-48A3-B006-F4D925AEF1A2.jpeg

8739C331-1476-4EA7-80BF-C47FED21B64E.jpeg

Yes perfectly acceptable and a nice bar, just has a few rub marks and the black on the back should wipe off.

It's a robust poured piece of silver that's never going to be impeccable. 

It you want proof like, go with Geiger or Pamp.. aka Lady fortuna 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Absolutely, it's fairly typical and can't be complained about.

Personally I'm no fan of Metalor bars, I prefer the aesthetics of Umicore. Umicore cast 1kg bars are plastic wrapped in the factory so tend to not pick up the sort of marks on your Metalor.

A sealed in plastic minted bar might be more your thing. Cost you more, but you pays your money, you makes your choice. Check out the Valcambi combibars at e.g. Tavex. 

As the others have said, this is pretty typical, I have a couple of 1kg bars and this is what I would except, I have a couple of “shiny “ silver 1kg bars, but those were a lot more expensive and not really worth the money if you are just looking for best stacking value. 

I am reassured by the replies, thank you. 😊 What would I wipe the black with to get it off?

And I presume I am ok to handle the bar freely, it wouldn’t cause it to get much worse from just handling it, would it?

6 minutes ago, EliteNeo said:

I am reassured by the replies, thank you. 😊 What would I wipe the black with to get it off?

And I presume I am ok to handle the bar freely, it wouldn’t cause it to get much worse from just handling it, would it?

Get into a habit of wearing gloves, even with bullion. But handling a cast bar is fine now and again. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goddards-Silver-Polish-Cloth-Polishing/dp/B01MSDW9L8/ref=sr_1_59?crid=13YLVNGMAFLHV&keywords=silver+tarnish+remover&qid=1679529992&sprefix=silver+tarnish+re%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-59

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

It's certainly not the prettiest of bars, and I absolutely understand the disappointment of receiving two bad condition items in your first purchase, even if you expected bullion (which they both are).

Metalor are desirable and always popular 1kg bars, I doubt the condition will make much difference at all to the price when and if you sell :)

That said, I've never seen a 'new' one like that, so depending on where you bought it from, if you feel like it no harm in phoning them up and saying it's not the 'new' or even 'as new' bar you were expecting based on their listing photo and description etc, maybe they'll give you a bit of credit or something. Otherwise I'd just accept it as having 'character' :)

I'd consider that bar perfectly fine, i have a Metalor one myself with the same kind of marking on the front. From what i can gather, it's just rub marks where they have been stacked on top of each other and due to their weight it leaves almost a "bruise" on the other bars. In my opinion, you would have no problem selling that bar in the future.

If the bar doesn't look like the photo in the ad that tempted you to buy it in the first place I'd send it back and put up with the inconvenience of doing so. Otherwise every time you look at it you'll feel disappointed.  I know its just bullion and can be dinged and donged to a comical degree and not lose bullion value but it sounds more like you wanted to own a nice piece of silver, a possession, rather than just silver weight. May as well get this sorted now while you have the opportunity and get a replacement or even better, as others have said, use a different manufacturer who takes pride in making things look pretty. No point paying good money on things you don't like.

8 hours ago, EliteNeo said:

Wear a cotton glove is my suggestion for handling coins and bars. You may suddenly end up acting like a mime but that's the risk you take!

The black marks on the front: I would try the following in order if gentleness:

1) put it in a washing up bowl with hot soapy water. Let it soak a few minutes then rub with a soft cloth. As soft as you can get, and rub in circles. Last thing you want is scratch marks, that'll look worse than black marks.

2) If that fails, get some good quality wet wipes and rub in circles. Put some effort in.

3) The drastic measure: this may make grown men cringe. Buy some "T-cut original restorer". £7.50 a tin on amazon. Wear rubber gloves as this stuff may cause skin problems. Also get yourself somewhere ventilated or outside: it pongs. Apply VERY SMALL amount on microfibre WHITE cloth and dab over the marks. Leave 5 minutes. Rub in circles, getting progressively more vigorous. After 5 minutes buff off with a clean microfibre. Repeat until marks are gone. They will go as this stuff is cutting into the surface and removing material. You may end up with very nice shiny bits that make the rest of the bar look rubbish in comparison: a gentle go over of the entire surface will get a uniform look.