• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which 2022 memorial coin to buy?

Hi I was wondering if I could get some help on deciding which 2022 memorial sovereign to get. I am relatively new at collecting and have a couple of sovereigns already but struggling to decide on what is best to get next. I have enough money to buy 1 of the following:

1x double gold sovereign 

1x gold proof memorial sovereign

2x full bullion sovereigns 

normally I wouldn’t debate between either a double or 2 full sovereigns and would usually always chose the 2 full sovereigns but I’ve heard people mentioning the design on the memorial sovereigns looks a bit cramped on the regular full sovereigns and might look better on the double. 

whichever one I end up buying I plan on holding for the long term (20 or so years) if this has any sway on which I should go for long term. 

thanks in advance for any advise you might have! 

31 minutes ago, SovereignStacker4 said:

Hi I was wondering if I could get some help on deciding which 2022 memorial sovereign to get. I am relatively new at collecting and have a couple of sovereigns already but struggling to decide on what is best to get next. I have enough money to buy 1 of the following:

1x double gold sovereign 

1x gold proof memorial sovereign

2x full bullion sovereigns 

normally I wouldn’t debate between either a double or 2 full sovereigns and would usually always chose the 2 full sovereigns but I’ve heard people mentioning the design on the memorial sovereigns looks a bit cramped on the regular full sovereigns and might look better on the double. 

whichever one I end up buying I plan on holding for the long term (20 or so years) if this has any sway on which I should go for long term. 

thanks in advance for any advise you might have! 

As a pure investment for 20 years, whichever is the lowest premium usually wins.

But given there's little difference between the double versus 2 x singles, then I'd go for the double. To appreciate the design better. Apparently these are not being offered wholesale to dealers, so the mintage will be relatively low inho.

With all that being said, the proof, assuming you get a nice condition one, will surely be doing well in 20 years too.

It's down to are you a collector or stacker at heart? 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

6 minutes ago, James32 said:

As a pure investment for 20 years, whichever is the lowest premium usually wins.

But given there's little difference between the double versus 2 x singles, then I'd go for the double. To appreciate the design better. Apparently these are not being offered wholesale to dealers, so the mintage will be relatively low inho.

With all that being said, the proof, assuming you get a nice condition one, will surely be doing well in 20 years too.

It's down to are you a collector or stacker at heart? 

Thanks for the advice! 

When I started buying gold I went into it telling myself I was a stacker but since coming across the dilemma of which memorial sovereign to buy I’m starting to sway a little bit to the collecting side of things. 

I think I’m largely speaking out of FOMO and worried that if I buy one of the 3 and then it’s the other two that end up doing better long term I’ll end up kicking myself for not buying them if that makes any sense? 😂 

4 minutes ago, SovereignStacker4 said:

Thanks for the advice! 

When I started buying gold I went into it telling myself I was a stacker but since coming across the dilemma of which memorial sovereign to buy I’m starting to sway a little bit to the collecting side of things. 

I think I’m largely speaking out of FOMO and worried that if I buy one of the 3 and then it’s the other two that end up doing better long term I’ll end up kicking myself for not buying them if that makes any sense? 😂 

Twice the amount of gold should do better longterm, and the double will offer a better look at the design. Although not as good as the proof obviously. 

40 minutes ago, SovereignStacker4 said:

Thanks for the advice! 

I was the same.  Started stacking, went a little down the collector route with the jubilee and memorial sovereigns, but decided to sell them and stick will low premium bullion from now on.  (The ordinary britannias are lovely IMHO.)  Fortunately I timed it right and didn't make a loss on the sovereigns, just a very small profit, but I feel happier to be back to just stacking, even if it is just one or two Britannias per year.

I was never into proofs, but I am sure I have read on here that over time they tend to drift down towards their intrinsic, not holding their initial premium.  Maybe someone else can help confirm?  @LawrenceChard maybe?

10 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

I was the same.  Started stacking, went a little down the collector route with the jubilee and memorial sovereigns, but decided to sell them and stick will low premium bullion from now on.  (The ordinary britannias are lovely IMHO.)  Fortunately I timed it right and didn't make a loss on the sovereigns, just a very small profit, but I feel happier to be back to just stacking, even if it is just one or two Britannias per year.

I was never into proofs, but I am sure I have read on here that over time they tend to drift down towards their intrinsic, not holding their initial premium.  Maybe someone else can help confirm?  @LawrenceChard maybe?

Thanks for the advice! 

I must admit I am a little bit tempted to go for the proof version of this particular sovereign and possibly the proof version of the coronation when it comes out simply because these feel like 2 special sovereign that I don’t want to miss out on. 

Although on the other hand I struggle with the idea of almost paying the price of 2 full sovereigns and only getting 1 😂 and as you said, if they were to not hold their initial premium then it’s quite a big loss to accept. 

I never would’ve thought that buying gold would be this complicated when I started 😅

14 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

I would agree with most regular proof. There the others which have single year design or even a cult following like the 1989, which I can not see in my lifetime being worth only it's gold value or the same as regular sovereigns. I myself would buy what ever was cheapest. In this case the double.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

I bought the 2022 Memorial proof direct from the RM with free postage held it for a while and sold it on with a profit. With the current dip in gold I will be picking up two bullion Memorial's so have turned one proof into two bullion. 

I liked the proof but prefer two bullion in hand , a proof is harder to sell while bullion are much more liquid.

My opinion is it's got to be the proof for longterm investment...just take a look at how the 2022 Jubilee proof sovereign has done within the last year .. The memorial sovereign is the first sovereign of Charles III  and can only see it going the same way the Jubilee proof sovereign has gone once all the flippers and short term investors have all but gone ..But good luck with what ever you decide 

1 hour ago, Tamcddd said:

Being a new stacker as well I would choose the full sovereigns but best of luck 🙏 

Thank you and thanks for the advice! 

After hearing everyone’s advice I think you’re right and that the full sovereigns might be the way forward (although still very tempted by the proof!) 

I’m afraid if I catch the FOMO bug then it’s never going to end and I’ll be left scratching my chin over every new coin that comes out aha 

14 minutes ago, Maxx546 said:

My opinion is it's got to be the proof for longterm investment...just take a look at how the 2022 Jubilee proof sovereign has done within the last year .. The memorial sovereign is the first sovereign of Charles III  and can only see it going the same way the Jubilee proof sovereign has gone once all the flippers and short term investors have all but gone ..But good luck with what ever you decide 

Seeing the success of the jubilee proof sovereign is definitely a strong reason I’m tempted by the proof memorial (even though that might not be the best way to decide on which coin to go for 😅

Get the proof. 

People have bought the bullion en mass. Im willing to bet there are a few on here with tubes of them. And they will come up for sale on here occasionally. Grab a bullion at a later date.

Once the flippers have died down theyll all but disappear other than those at extortionate prices.

Whats not to like?

20230218_204729.thumb.jpg.ad0fc3581054e066dc3c4488f869a9bc.jpg20230218_204824.thumb.jpg.03f0b1168ed614dfabad00bcbe313e32.jpg

Edited by AaaGee

12 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

I bought the 2022 Memorial proof direct from the RM with free postage held it for a while and sold it on with a profit. With the current dip in gold I will be picking up two bullion Memorial's so have turned one proof into two bullion. 

I liked the proof but prefer two bullion in hand , a proof is harder to sell while bullion are much more liquid.

Thanks for the advice! 

Having two sovereign for almost the price of one proof is definitely a tempting part! 

Just now, SovereignStacker4 said:

Seeing the success of the jubilee proof sovereign is definitely a strong reason I’m tempted by the proof memorial (even though that might not be the best way to decide on which coin to go for 😅

No really much more success than their bullion counterparts. 

My proof "raw" was £585 and reached a "raw" average of approximately £800

My bullion sovereigns at the same time were £303 and reached a top price of £400 each... £400 × 2 =£800, so similar in comparison. 

If we change the scenario to graded ( assuming you get top pop) then you are ahead in the proof, as the jubilee reached an average of £1k although it was very short lived. True profits will come from bigger proof coins £2 £5 sovereigns etc

9 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Get the proof. 

People have bought the bullion en mass. Im willing to bet there are a few on here with tubes of them. And they will come up for sale on here occasionally. Grab a bullion at a later date.

Once the flippers have died down theyll all but disappear other than those at extortionate prices.

Whats not to like?

20230218_204729.thumb.jpg.ad0fc3581054e066dc3c4488f869a9bc.jpg20230218_204824.thumb.jpg.03f0b1168ed614dfabad00bcbe313e32.jpg

Ah just when my mind was almost made up I see a beautiful picture like this! 

who knows, if the price of gold keeps dipping like it is then we might be able to buy both! 

and I do like that idea of owning both, although my bank account doesn’t

1 minute ago, SovereignStacker4 said:

Ah just when my mind was almost made up I see a beautiful picture like this! 

who knows, if the price of gold keeps dipping like it is then we might be able to buy both! 

and I do like that idea of owning both, although my bank account doesn’t

I got lucky i think. (Wont actually know for a few years lol).

9 minutes ago, James32 said:

My bullion sovereigns at the same time were £303 and reached a top price of £400 each... £400 × 2 =£800, so similar in comparison. 

If we change the scenario to graded ( assuming you get top pop) then you are ahead in the proof, as the jubilee reached an average of £1k although it was very short lived. True profits will come from bigger proof coins £2 £5 sovereigns etc

I must admit I never thought about it like that aha 

but do you think the proof coin has a lot higher ceiling in terms of what it could potentially reach compared to the bullion version. Simply because the proof coin is in limited numbers? 

14 minutes ago, James32 said:

The 2022 Jubilee proof sovereign is going for £1225 on Chards ..and the 2022 bullion sovereign is going for £411.86 x2 would be £823.72 ...Big difference there mate

Edited by Maxx546

Just now, SovereignStacker4 said:

I must admit I never thought about it like that aha 

but do you think the proof coin has a lot higher ceiling in terms of what it could potentially reach compared to the bullion version. Simply because the proof coin is in limited numbers? 

Really hard to say tbh. Too many variables, especially the part where you may need the cash during a big lull in the collectors market. I'd much rather have twice the gold in such a scenario. 

Premium in versus premium out.

16 minutes ago, James32 said:

Whats the face values of a sovereign and a double sovereign please?

2 minutes ago, Maxx546 said:

The 2022 Jubilee proof sovereign is going for £1225 on Chards ..and the 2022 bullion sovereign is going for £411.86 x2 would be £823.72 ...Big difference there mate

Wow, the fact you just quoted a dealer price and not the real world price is frightening. 

I've lived through the market very closely, I'm specifically talking about the secondary market where real amounts are changing hands. 

A pf70 jubilee couldn't sell at £900 posted last month on here.

Never ever believe the inflated prices on dealers sites ffs.

32 minutes ago, SovereignStacker4 said:

After hearing everyone’s advice I think you’re right and that the full sovereigns might be the way forward (although still very tempted by the proof!) 

I’m afraid if I catch the FOMO bug then it’s never going to end and I’ll be left scratching my chin over every new coin that comes out aha 

Yeah I think your best value sovereigns are a lot easier to buy/sell in general. You get more gold for your money and that’s why I’m here. Proof is a different game altogether that I’m not trying to get involved in 😂