• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hallmark Question

flyingveepixie

I have an old wedding ring which has the hallmark "HS, Crown, 18, Anchor, and what looks like an elongated letter O turned slightly on it's side. I understand that the letter is representative of the year the ring was manufactured but I cannot find anything online which matches it, Can anyone help?  Thanks.

19 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Yes I'm pretty sure it came from H Samuel as it was my dad's ring and I know they used H Samuel a lot, but they were married in the late 1950s and nothing I can find online seems to match up to this wierd looking sideways 'O'.

Screenshot_20230227-171132.png

Looks like the case is solved

Just wanted to say its nice to see a hallmark question from established member and not a passing account looking for other people to do the legwork to boost the value of their eBay sale (probably) 

Yes I'm a sceptical old sod.

50 minutes ago, watchesandwhisky said:

Looks like the case is solved

Just wanted to say its nice to see a hallmark question from established member and not a passing account looking for other people to do the legwork to boost the value of their eBay sale (probably) 

Yes it's solved although the mystery of the date never will be as both parents and all of their generation are gone and can't be asked about it.  It's strange because my parents were married in 1958, yet that ring dates to 1963. Maybe Dad lost his original ring and had to get a new one - that's the only explanation I can think of...🤔

Edited by flyingveepixie

1 minute ago, flyingveepixie said:

Yes it's solved although the mystery of the date never will be as both parents and all of their generation are gone and can't be asked about it.  It's really wierd because my parents were married in 1958, yet that ring dates to 1963. Maybe Dad lost his original ring and had to get a new one - that's the only explanation I can think of...🤔

Or maybe their first wedding rings were silver and decided to replace for gold on the fifth anniversary...

Sounds better?😊😇😚

4 minutes ago, stefffana said:

Or maybe their first wedding rings were silver and decided to replace for gold on the fifth anniversary...

Sounds better?😊😇😚

That's a possibility I didn't think of.  😊   I've still got Mam's little gold engagement ring from 1955 but no wedding ring from her so I can't confirm that, but it's a nice idea.

1 hour ago, watchesandwhisky said:

Or maybe, an established member is looking to boost their eBay sale and doesn't want to do the legwork! :D 

Possibly an older and soddier skeptic here ;) 

On 27/02/2023 at 16:06, flyingveepixie said:

I have an old wedding ring which has the hallmark "HS, Crown, 18, Anchor, and what looks like an elongated letter O turned slightly on it's side. I understand that the letter is representative of the year the ring was manufactured but I cannot find anything online which matches it, Can anyone help?  Thanks.

Could it be SH and it’s been stamped upside down? SH is Samuel Hope. They made a lot of gold wedding bands.

I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

Could it be SH and it’s been stamped upside down? SH is Samuel Hope. They made a lot of gold wedding bands.

I could be wrong.

Possibly - anything is possible and none of the questions can now be answered as both Ma and Pa are long gone. However : I can clearly remember them yakking on all the time about H Samuel when I was a kid and whenever the subject of rings or jewellery was being discussed, so I suspect that possibility is the correct one, but your suggestion is still a good one nonetheless. 🙂

Edited by flyingveepixie