• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof Lion of England spotted ....

I didn't know where to post this so please move if you wish - Gold proof beast available for pre order from The Royal Mint for £455 for the 1/4 limited to 2500 - 1oz available and a 10oz silver - I think I will get one but I am just not sure - like the low mintage though

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't know where to post this so please move if you wish - Gold proof beast available for pre order from The Royal Mint for £455 for the 1/4 limited to 2500 - 1oz available and a 10oz silver - I think I will get one but I am just not sure - like the low mintage though

That and 5oz I think are good

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Apologies if this is already part of another topic, but I wanted to get peoples opinions on the Lion of England Silver Proof Coin with a maximum manage of 8,500:
http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Lion_of_England_2017_UK_One_Ounce_Silver_Proof_Coin

I don't collect a lot of proof stuff and for 1oz it seems expensive, but I could be wrong.

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

I have been thinking do I or don't I. I would like to be a buyer but I think the Mintages and prices are too high. I think the size variety is milking it and given that this is a series coin I think RM have misjudged. I can't see any potential in this to hold value and my preference at this particular point is gold Bullion and china non-fiat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three things are telling me not to start into this series. 

First - it's confusing, -as these are all marked as 2017 proofs, while the bullion Lion is a 2016.  

Second - -as Numi pointed out, the range is waaaaay too extensive. Seven coins x 10 would be seventy proofs for the ultimate collection. 

Finally - the design!! It has lost some of the edginess by losing the stippled fields present in the bullion coins.  And the Lion looks smaller.  I liked the previous style where the claws lingered over the 2016,,, now it's like he / she has been to the vet for toe clipping. 

Not a fan... 

I agree Lindeman especially when it comes to your point about the design - the stippled field are a big loss to the design appeal - why would they leave them out as IMO it was integral to the appeal for me anyhow.  Happy to give it a miss thankfully. 

Its a pity really - I wish it was more like the bullion.  I have a few bullion coins but the only one without noticeable issues is the one I bought from morezone.

I will be getting the 1oz silver proof 100%, might order it tonight

Was planning on getting the 1/4 proof gold proof, will have to think on that though, probably be swayed when you guys post pictures 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

5 hours ago, creative said:

Apologies if this is already part of another topic, but I wanted to get peoples opinions on the Lion of England Silver Proof Coin with a maximum manage of 8,500:
http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Lion_of_England_2017_UK_One_Ounce_Silver_Proof_Coin

I don't collect a lot of proof stuff and for 1oz it seems expensive, but I could be wrong.

£85 is xpensive IMO for 1oz especially with a mintage of 8500

Other mints' proofs are typically £60 - £65 with lower mintages but you also have to take into account VAT

On 30/11/2016 at 22:51, Kman said:

Can't have proof without frosting :o

photos on the RM website are better. certainly some frosting on the obverse and looks to be nice detail on the reverse.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

6 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

£85 is xpensive IMO for 1oz especially with a mintage of 8500

Aren't the Brits and Lunars £85? the mintage is too high though, I don't think the proof Brits usually have that many 1 oz coins even with all the sets

Probably 2500 would have been about right, even maybe that a bit high, no way they will sell out of 8500

£455 for the 1/4 is on the steep side but I think it will be a something I regret not getting in future, but again, I think the 2500 mintage is high, probably 1250 or below  would have seemed ok; 750 maybe would have suited. 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Having been waiting for the gold proofs I too am now having second thoughts given the slight change in design, date and price. In terms of completing the 1/4oz series you would now be at the mercy of the Royal Mint prices etc.

Some of the interesting coins at the various London, US and European December auctions are now looking a better bet to me!

ST

I do buy RM proofs when I feel there is even a small chance of a profit at some stage. I may be wrong about these and live to regret just like Benjy Bunny.. but I can't see an easy upward potential for these over the RM issue price. Mintage is way too high on silver and gold. The 1/4 should have been Less than 1000 and the 1oz less than 2,500 to be attractive.

I might be a buyer for a 1/4 proof tbh but at £330 to £360 in the secondary market.

(Don't use the less than sign in Tapatalk as it deletes what you write)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may mean starting a new topic but if £85 for this coin seems crazy what 1oz proof coins would you suggest to look out for that are selling for a reasonable price? I'm not into lunar coins, but otherwise I'm pretty open and really fancy a good quality coin to start my collection outside of stacking.

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

Personally I'd prefer a 2oz proof coin exactly the same as the 2oz BU but obviously without the background hatching which I hate.
 It is especially awful on the obverse. Shiny proof is best.

I like the 1 oz proof except the lettering is too large and too spread, there needs to be more words to reduce the size.

Having said all that, the proof is starting to grow on me.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

18 hours ago, Kman said:

I will be getting the 1oz silver proof 100%, might order it tonight

Was planning on getting the 1/4 proof gold proof, will have to think on that though, probably be swayed when you guys post pictures 

Better be quick mate....Only 3500 left.

The gold kilos have gone already. 

Is the proof quarter gold worth it?  I've never bought proof gold before.

And thanks to Numistacker and this forum, this is a great community, I would of never seen the proof lions otherwise. :)

46 minutes ago, ARGAR said:

ah ok, that makes sense.

Vendors wouldn't be buying from the royal mint website though would they?

But max you can buy have  to take off isn't otherwise we will have extra mintage on top

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Can someone please explain how mintages like 8500 for the 1 oz proof works

Do they make a batch like 2000, see how they go, mint more for demand, or do they actually mint the full 8500?

If they don't actually mint the full 8500 (they will never sell that many) then could it be there only turns out to be perhaps 3000 or so in the end anyway? 

On 11/11/2016 at 10:55, Oldun said:

I am not be the slightest bit concerned or surprised. How quickly people decide these days in the internet world. 

Pre-internet

There were 10,535 sovereigns issued in 1989. The issue limit was 12,500 pieces. This shows that the Royal Mint did not manage to sell as many as it had hoped to, and presumably forecast. The sales period for this coin would have been from about January 1989 to about mid 1990, although these dates, vary often from year to year. The end date possibly depends on whether the Mint decide to run another production batch. We should perhaps explain that as a factory, the Mint do not produce the entire issue limit in one production run, but make a large initial batch, followed by one or more smaller batches through the lifetime of the products marketing phase. Towards the end of a period, they may decide that there was not enough residual demand to make it worthwhile making and storing an economic batch quantity

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/1989sovereign.php

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

6 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

Vender do buy them and sell them on that's why it seems like it is selling fast but the fact is it's not 

That's from yesterday 10pm

In the last 6 hours they've sold

3,698 vs 3,401 silver 1 oz = 297
1,379 vs 1,361 gold 1/4 oz = 18

More just putting this to keep track myself 

Be interesting to see how they go 

Archived