• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver to Gold

Silly question probably but for conversation sake and at current levels,  how many oz of fine silver would you trade for a gold sovereign and feel that both parties were receiving a fair trade, barring in mind silver premiums remain ridiculous and dealersor shops tend to not buy back all.that premium? 18.46 silver spot, 1550 gold spot at time of writing. 

Edited by carrigher82

A very good question. A ratio based on real world buying costs will give a very different result to one based on selling prices. I suppose it depends on what the reasons for swapping are for the two parties concerned.

There have been a few such swaps on this forum in the recent past, maybe the perties concerned will turn up and answer your question?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

A very good question. A ratio based on real world buying costs will give a very different result to one based on selling prices. I suppose it depends on what the reasons for swapping are for the two parties concerned.

There have been a few such swaps on this forum in the recent past, maybe the perties concerned will turn up and answer your question?

Perhaps I can give my current situation,  I have 17.44oz fine silver across all manner of coins,  mostly bullion, couple of commemorative and a germania mint etc my local.coin shops offering a flat £22 an oz which equates to about  £384, wants to then sell single sovereigns at £400 a piece but I know online can get them a little cheaper like £391. Ideally I just want to swap all the silver for a sovereign they're really not far off each other once you factor in a little bit of extra numismatics on the silver.

26 minutes ago, carrigher82 said:

Perhaps I can give my current situation,  I have 17.44oz fine silver across all manner of coins,  mostly bullion, couple of commemorative and a germania mint etc my local.coin shops offering a flat £22 an oz which equates to about  £384, wants to then sell single sovereigns at £400 a piece but I know online can get them a little cheaper like £391. Ideally I just want to swap all the silver for a sovereign they're really not far off each other once you factor in a little bit of extra numismatics on the silver.

Did you show them the coins? £22 seems a lot for commemorative coins. I would say if you really want to reach your target then it's splitting it up and selling it separately. 

6 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Did you show them the coins? £22 seems a lot for commemorative coins. I would say if you really want to reach your target then it's splitting it up and selling it separately. 

Yea I think that's the better play for the best return eh

13 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

The better play in my opinion is wait for the gold silver ratio to be in a better position. Currently in the 80s, maybe wait until 60s? 

I totally take your point but I tend to adjust the G/S ratio to account for the rough average premiums as I feel that gives a clearer picture, currently with all costs considered an oz of silver delivered comes in at £30 which brings the ratio  down to around 50 which imo flips the investing strategy atm around away from silver back to gold. I should post about this actually as well as I'd be interested to hear what others think

14 hours ago, carrigher82 said:

Silly question probably but for conversation sake and at current levels,  how many oz of fine silver would you trade for a gold sovereign and feel that both parties were receiving a fair trade, barring in mind silver premiums remain ridiculous and dealersor shops tend to not buy back all.that premium? 18.46 silver spot, 1550 gold spot at time of writing. 

If it were silver Britannia's somewhere around 15 to 16 for a sov would roughly match prices on here. I don't personally want to swap any of my sovs for silver though so it isn't an offer 👍🏼

On 08/02/2023 at 16:53, carrigher82 said:

Silver to Gold

Silver to Gold

When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be a revival or alchemy..

I "how to" guide!

😎

Chards

On 10/02/2023 at 23:17, LawrenceChard said:

Silver to Gold

When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be a revival or alchemy..

I "how to" guide!

😎

That would've been much more useful!! I'm working on it, I'll keep you posted

Edited by carrigher82