• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best option coin or bar

Bogart

Having nothing better to do decided to do some comparisons of prices between bars and coins.

Cheapest 1oz bar is as I write  £1601

Cheapest 1oz coin Kruggerand  is £1584 pre owned.

Both including postage before we resurrect that topic.

Now if one was buying purely for a bullion stash is not the Kruggerand the obvious choice?

Edited by Bogart

26 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Having nothing better to do decided to do some comparisons of prices between bars and coins.

Cheapest 1oz bar is as I write  £1601

Cheapest 1oz coin Kruggerand  is £1584 pre owned.

Both including postage before we resurrect that topic.

Now if one was buying purely for a bullion stash is not the Kruggerand the obvious choice?

Avoid the Kruggerand, but buy the Krugerrand.

Coins are almost always better than bars, IMO!

😎

Chards

7 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Avoid the Kruggerand, but buy the Krugerrand.

Coins are almost always better than bars, IMO!

😎

Ordinarily yes..but specifically talking about a generic bar and a preowned krugerrand..there's zero difference on the secondary market. Sad but true. Both are viewed as bargain buys in the UK st least. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

If investing over 12k and you want to store it long term then bars can eat up your train of thought more over coins.

Personally I prefer coins and limit the amount of non-royal mint produced bullion I stack. I've never been a fan of the Krugerrands but many youtubers will persuade you to invest in them! I'd rather buy a dated 1oz Britannia or "pre-owned" one instead of the Krugs.

Anyone producing 9,18 22ct would want to start with fine gold so logically you would think a refined bar would be more desirable in the same way 9999 silver is better than Sterling... but krugs like sovs have appeal perhaps because they are easily recognisable? 

Edited by ArgentSmith

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Prices on here yes but I was specifically just comparing dealer prices as I had always assumed, incorrectly it seems, that a bar of a reasonable size would always be cheaper than a coin even a pre owned one.

There was a bit of an underlying reason in querying this as I have just sold some 100g bars and wondered if better to buy some smaller bars as opposed to coins. Not everybody can jump on a 100g bar, even

though mine were/are a bargain.😁

Edited by Bogart

10 hours ago, MrStacker said:

If investing over 12k and you want to store it long term then bars can eat up your train of thought more over coins.

Personally I prefer coins and limit the amount of non-royal mint produced bullion I stack. I've never been a fan of the Krugerrands but many youtubers will persuade you to invest in them! I'd rather buy a dated 1oz Britannia or "pre-owned" one instead of the Krugs.

I also would prefer a Britannia, but it was not a choice.

The choice was Krugerrand or one ounce gold bar. Not only that, but the asking price on the bar was £17 more.

Chards

2 hours ago, Bogart said:

Prices on here yes but I was specifically just comparing dealer prices as I had always assumed, incorrectly it seems, that a bar of a reasonable size would always be cheaper than a coin even a pre owned one.

There was a bit of an underlying reason in querying this as I have just sold some 100g bars and wondered if better to buy some smaller bars as opposed to coins. Not everybody can jump on a 100g bar, even

though mine were/are a bargain.😁

I've seen folks sell 50g bars here on several occasions, but only ever seen one unsuccessful listing of a 100g bar, although that was from a vendor that seems to persistently flog slightly overpriced gold bars on FB groups as well.

Some folks could afford the 5 grand for a 100g bar in one hit, but it's likely in a minority.  However, if your premiums were low on purchase you're not going to take a massive hit if you have to flog them back to a dealer.  Unless you're forced into a quick sale you're probably going to be able to flog them eventually; if you have some smaller, more liquid stuff as well they're likely fine.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

10 hours ago, SiCole said:

Given the current time of the year etc I would post on here looking for a Britannia with low premium. Maybe an unpopular opinion but I reckon you would get one around 1580 at 1550 spot.

This would be my opinion also. Exit strategy is important, a CGT free coin doesn't risk losing profits that are taxed on exit. In a hurry would you be happy to lose profit to the taxman if you needed to sell it all in one go? 

Edited by SilverDrum

78av.gif

Excellent topic. I too recently sold a cpl of 100g bars and have started converting that cash in to coin purely for future liquidity. 

Based the prices of both items discussed I feel it is a personal preference as there is no real difference in resale or cgt allowance.

I will however be getting some more bars but nothing above the 1oz as and they will be covered by SD insurance should I wish to sell in the future.

14 hours ago, James32 said:

Ordinarily yes..but specifically talking about a generic bar and a preowned krugerrand..there's zero difference on the secondary market. Sad but true. Both are viewed as bargain buys in the UK st least. 

We often have a slight differential on our buying prices for one ounce gold coins and one ounce gold bars.

On a day when we are paying 100%  or even 101% of spot for Krugerrands, we might only be offering 99% or 100% for bars.

Depending on stocks and demand, the differentials could be slightly greater, or less, perhaps between 2% and 0%.

You probably noticed, recently we were offering 100 gram bars for sale at 1% premium.

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

We often have a slight differential on our buying prices for one ounce gold coins and one ounce gold bars.

On a day when we are paying 100%  or even 101% of spot for Krugerrands, we might only be offering 99% or 100% for bars.

Depending on stocks and demand, the differentials could be slightly greater, or less, perhaps between 2% and 0%.

You probably noticed, recently we were offering 100 gram bars for sale at 1% premium.

😎

Completely agree in regards to selling to a dealer. Unfortunately on here at least,both articles are viewed as having some kind of leprosy 😆 neither do much more than spot unless the krugerrand is brand new,or the bar is a Royal mint premium piece. 

24 minutes ago, James32 said:

Completely agree in regards to selling to a dealer. Unfortunately on here at least,both articles are viewed as having some kind of leprosy 😆 neither do much more than spot unless the krugerrand is brand new,or the bar is a Royal mint premium piece. 

I would always pay less for a krugerrand than a Krugerrand!

😎

Chards

30 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

Not arguing with you Mr Chard Sir but can you explain to a simpleton like me the reason a 22ct "Krugerrand" carries a higher premium than 999+ bar?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

Just now, ArgentSmith said:

Not arguing with you Mr Chard Sir but can you explain to a simpleton like me the reason a 22ct "Krugerrand" carries a higher premium than 999+ bar?

Because of the salt water in Blackpool, apparently. 

44 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Still has 1oz of 999 so identical in composition to a 1oz bar. More expensive beacuse it has some blokes hairy face on it.☺️

3 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Still has 1oz of 999 so identical in composition to a 1oz bar. More expensive beacuse it has some blokes hairy face on it.☺️

Identical in weight of gold but not composition 1% extra for a couple of grams of free copper 😀

27 minutes ago, Bogart said:

We often pay about 1% more for Britannias than Krugers, because they have a nice looking woman on them!

Chards