• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What you think of this costly mistake..... A right Gold Can Debarcle

What say you Mr @LawrenceChard?

This is costly mistake https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64210355

He should have gone to Afghanistcan with me - see what i did there!!! 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

3 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

That's pure gold!

But it sounds like he has learnt nothing. "In his post, the Brewdog boss revealed he now owned 40 of the gold cans."

I can assure anyone who wins a free pint from us will not be offered any Brew Dog, although we are still hoping to get hold of a lifetime supply of Budweiser. Not for us to drink of course, just to give it away, although other suggestions welcome.

Anyone know what a typical beer can weighs?

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's pure gold!

But it sounds like he has learn nothing "In his post, the Brewdog boss revealed he now owned 40 of the gold cans."

I can assure anyone who wins a free pint from us will not be offered any Brew Dog, although we are still hoping to get hold of a lifetime supply of Budweiser. Not for us to drink of course, just to give it away, although other suggestions welcome.

😎

Id just pour the Budweiser down the lav, god awful stuff..... 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Fully deserves to pay that much and a whole ton more. Knew what he was doing.

“As well as complaints over the prize's authenticity, some questioned how much the can was worth, with Brewdog claiming it was valued at £15,000.

The ASA said Brewdog told investigators that a single 330ml can, made with the equivalent 330ml of pure gold, would have a gold value of about $500,000 (£363,000) at the time in October 2021.

But the watchdog considered a general audience was unlikely to be aware of the price of gold, "how that would translate into the price of a gold can, and whether that was inconsistent with the valuation as stated in the ad".

Mr Watt reiterated in his LinkedIn post on Saturday that the "valuation of £15,000 per can was accurate"”.

I’m blown away - £15,000, accurate?

How is the general audiences awareness of gold prices even relevant?

28 minutes ago, SidS said:

I can not believe it.

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's pure gold!

But it sounds like he has learnt nothing. "In his post, the Brewdog boss revealed he now owned 40 of the gold cans."

😎

Brewed dog sounds like it should eminate from Korea, not bonny Scotland. 

About time this particularly narcissitic tosspot took a hit to his pocket. Although I suspect the company balance sheet will bear the brunt.

From a pair of young enthusiastic nut cases brewing crazily strong beer (Tactical Nuclear Penguin anyone?) to hipster 5h1t3 that tastes unpleasant... 

He could always binlord the cans on ebay...

1 hour ago, codenamedtango said:

The ASA said Brewdog told investigators that a single 330ml can, made with the equivalent 330ml of pure gold, would have a gold value of about $500,000 (£363,000) at the time in October 2021.

It would have been harsh to make them pay out based on 330ml of pure gold for each can. Even with the "can of solid gold" description I'd expect a hollow can using the same volume of metal as a regular can. I guess that would be worth £15k.

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's pure gold!

😎

About 10g in aluminium.  Equivalent volume of fine gold would be about 74g but gold that thin would likely be too delicate.

Fun fact: recycling aluminium uses about 5% of the energy that smelting it does, which is why it's economically viable to recycle beer cans.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

7 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

6 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

That's pure gold!

😎

4 hours ago, SidS said:

I can not believe it.

3 hours ago, ShineyMagpie said:

Hmm.... a "silly mistake", or intentionally misleading sales pitch your opinions here...

3 hours ago, codenamedtango said:

Fully deserves to pay that much and a whole ton more. Knew what he was doing.

“As well as complaints over the prize's authenticity, some questioned how much the can was worth, with Brewdog claiming it was valued at £15,000.

But the watchdog considered a general audience was unlikely to be aware of the price of gold, "how that would translate into the price of a gold can, and whether that was inconsistent with the valuation as stated in the ad".

Mr Watt reiterated in his LinkedIn post on Saturday that the "valuation of £15,000 per can was accurate"”.

I’m blown away - £15,000, accurate?

How is the general audiences awareness of gold prices even relevant?

1 hour ago, 27carrots said:

It would have been harsh to make them pay out based on 330ml of pure gold for each can. Even with the "can of solid gold" description I'd expect a hollow can using the same volume of metal as a regular can. I guess that would be worth £15k.

1 hour ago, Silverlocks said:

About 10g in aluminium.  Equivalent volume of fine gold would be about 74g but gold that thin would likely be too delicate.

Fun fact: recycling aluminium uses about 5% of the energy that smelting it does, which is why it's economically viable to recycle beer cans.

It is worth reading the A.S.A. ruling:

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/brewdog-plc-g21-1115533-brewdog-plc.html

It states that adverts described the cans a "solid gold", "24 carat", and worth "£15,000".

A member of our staff happened to have an empty 330ml aluminium can (not Brew Dog) on his desk. It weighed 15 grams.

The specific gravity of gold is 19.32, and that of aluminium is 2.7:

Gold 19.32
Aluminium 2.70
Ratio 7.16

Therefore a similar can in pure gold would weigh about 15 x 7.16 = about 107 grams.

With spot gold currently at £49.39 per gram, this would make the intrinsic value of each can approximately £5,300.

This is substantially less than the £15,000 claimed by Brew Dog, a misleading exaggeration, by a factor of 3,  seemingly not picked up by the A.S.A. 

I don't think any reasonable person would expect a solid gold can to be composed of 330 ml of solid gold, rather than a normal hollow can made of gold. Neither would any reasonable person expect the can to just be gold-plated.

330 ml in volume of gold would weigh about 6.4 kgs, which would be worth about $384,000 at today's spot gold price, rather than the $500,000 stated by Brew Dog, although I have done my calculations at current gold prices, rather than look up what they were at the time, but it looks like this was yet another guess, exaggeration, or invention by Brew Dog.

None of the above gives me much confidence about the liquid content of their cans, the purity of the ingredients, or the accuracy of thier labelling, or the rest of their advertising.

Perhaps @HerefordBullyun's opinion of Budweiser could also apply to the yellow liquid contained in Brew Dog cans?

It is also worth noting that the A.S.A. mention two previous rulings against Brew Dog:

Other rulings for this company
BrewDog plc
 Upheld 07 July 2021

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/brewdog-plc-g21-1095835-brewdog-plc.html

BrewDog plc
 Upheld in part 18 November 2020

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/brewdog-plc-g20-1076270-brewdog-plc.html

There were also three "related rulings":

Related rulings
Molly Maison
 Upheld in part 30 November 2022
Clarson Ltd
 Upheld 12 October 2022
Gold Traders (UK) Ltd
 Upheld 28 September 2022

Which I think might also be entertaining and instructive.

😎

Chards

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2023 at 15:05, LawrenceChard said:

That's pure gold!

😎

Pouring it down the drain is the best thing to do with Budweiser. Not to be confused with Budweiser Budvar