• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Commemorative over-kill?

SidS

Longer time readers will all know my dislike of commemorative coins generally. That's not to say I don't see why they appeal to some collectors.

It struck me a few weeks ago, particularly the bullion adverts that certain news channels have on a loop, that commemoratives might have gone one step further with the passing of the Queen.

I'm used to the tacky gimmicks and the obscure dates and events that end up on such coins, that's a given.

However, I must say I'm shocked (I don't know why) that with the Queen's death I'm no longer hearing the actual words used on the adverts but more reading their thoughts instead.

When they say "to commemorate the life of the late Queen and her service to the country..." All I'm hearing instead is, "we thought we could make a shed load of money out of her death and milk it until the cows come home".

Does anyone else find the endless commemoratives by private mints at best overkill, at worst exploiting the unwitting public by making a buck off of a death? Tasteless no?

Thoughts welcome.

40 minutes ago, RDHC said:

Isn't the Royal Mint equally guilty of issuing endless commemoratives of royal and non-royal events for some years now, rather like some countries used to issue endless postage stamps, presumably for profit  (e.g. Hungary in the 1950s and 1960s)? 

Yes, totally agree.

1 hour ago, SidS said:

Longer time readers will all know my dislike of commemorative coins generally. That's not to say I don't see why they appeal to some collectors.

It struck me a few weeks ago, particularly the bullion adverts that certain news channels have on a loop, that commemoratives might have gone one step further with the passing of the Queen.

I'm used to the tacky gimmicks and the obscure dates and events that end up on such coins, that's a given.

However, I must say I'm shocked (I don't know why) that with the Queen's death I'm no longer hearing the actual words used on the adverts but more reading their thoughts instead.

When they say "to commemorate the life of the late Queen and her service to the country..." All I'm hearing instead is, "we thought we could make a shed load of money out of her death and milk it until the cows come home".

Does anyone else find the endless commemoratives by private mints at best overkill, at worst exploiting the unwitting public by making a buck off of a death? Tasteless no?

Thoughts welcome.

take it you have now cancelled your westminster marketing emails then?  🤣

I agree with your sentiment.  The RM seems to have lost its sense of decorum a little.

This is a shame, because some of the coins that they have issued this year are genuinely excellent.  The trouble is, they have diluted the impact of these coins by issuing a load of other coins which are less than excellent.

Still, it gives people an opportunity to buy the ones that they like, and pass on the others.  That's mainly what I've done this year (bought what I can both afford and obtain, and ignore the rest!)