• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

CGT Impact on Supply

dicker

Disappointingly, I got a call from a call from a “financial advisor” today.

I don’t use “financial advisors” for many reasons.  They find me on LinkedIn or from things I do with relation to my day job.

Today’s caller wanted to talk to me about CGT free gold investments “given the recent budget changes”.

I gave Fred about 6 minutes on the phone and (as usual) was very unimpressed.  2 min pitch on why gold works for “someone like me” (I don’t know him so how the fluck would he know?)

The specifics were terrible.  I asked very explicitly about the coins which might be CGT free “British ones”.

Equally woolly was the whole “where are they kept” can I keep them?  The answer was “we are working on building a safe keeping service”.  Gold doesn’t work well for investment advisors (happy to explain why).

I wonder if anyone else has seen / heard of similar?

Dealers are offering above spot for a number of types of coins….

Best

Dicker

Edited by dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Just now, flyingveepixie said:

You sure it wasn't Harrington and Byrne..?  😂 It sounds like the kind of nonsense they would attempt.

I got an email from Chards earlier offering 1.5% over spot for sovs..

And 100% spot for pre 13 Britannias! (I assumed you'd get at least spot for one of those anyway) I mean they are listed at like 9-10% premium 

1 hour ago, dicker said:

Disappointingly, I got a call from a call from a “financial advisor” today.

I don’t use “financial advisors” for many reasons.  They find me on LinkedIn or from things I do with relation to my day job.

Today’s caller wanted to talk to me about CGT free gold investments “given the recent budget changes”.

I gave Fred about 6 minutes on the phone and (as usual) was very unimpressed.  2 min pitch on why gold works for “someone like me” (I don’t know him so how the fluck would he know?)

The specifics were terrible.  I asked very explicitly about the coins which might be CGT free “British ones”.

Equally woolly was the whole “where are they kept” can I keep them?  The answer was “we are working on building a safe keeping service”.  Gold doesn’t work well for investment advisors (happy to explain why).

I wonder if anyone else has seen / heard of similar?

Dealers are offering above spot for a number of types of coins….

Best

Dicker

The best answer you can give to any unexpected phone call you may receive is the simple word NO 

These stories you read of ID theft, stolen funds, etc would have been very easily resolved with my instructions noted above 

5 hours ago, dicker said:

An interesting 'excuse' to call which could sound plausible to many who have no idea what's going on. Probably a painful few minutes after dropping on the phone with yourself though.

I don't really think the CGT changes will cause a surge in gold buying or anything like that but some people may be a bit more choosy on what they buy in the bulk of their stacks. 

10 hours ago, Paul said:

The best answer you can give to any unexpected phone call you may receive is the simple word NO 

I get these calls all the time and my strategy is not even to say NO.  I just put the phone down.  The main clues that it will be an unwelcome call are :

1. A long gap of silence or white noise before anyone speaks

2. Someone asking to speak to the owner of the business and often starting the sentence with 'yeah'

3. A decidely Indian accent announcing himself as Tony or Mike from BT when he is clearly Raschid or Achmed from Calcutta Scam Central.

The phone goes straight back down in every instance without a word from me.

Edited by flyingveepixie