• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best Buy

Silverbull

Just now, TheShinyStuff said:

They ain't big, I'll give you that, but I'm sticking to 5 is better. 

OP could just buy both and the debate is finished...

See, I used to think the same, because it's what I read/was advised. 

But having been through both sides ( buying and selling 1/10s v 1/2 oz coins) then the commen consensus is codswallop. 

I'm sorry but under a certain financial threshold, lowest premium is the best buy.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

10 minutes ago, artalien said:

Would you sell the 1/2 oz on Ebay coz if not that means less options.

I'm trying to tell you that it doesn't, if I list one (1/2)  at the right price today on here my inbox will have a message within 1 hour.

I watched 16 of them sell from sellerstacker, recently when priced fairly.

1/10ths are excellent budget friendly ways to start stacking gold for the masses, but will never be the best cost effective way ffs.

Edited by James32

10 minutes ago, James32 said:

See, I used to think the same, because it's what I read/was advised. 

But having been through both sides ( buying and selling 1/10s v 1/2 oz coins) then the commen consensus is codswallop. 

I'm sorry but under a certain financial threshold, lowest premium is the best buy.

The price difference in this case is a tenner, so that pretty much negates the premium argument for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of tenths, having sold one recently (very quickly) I now own precisely none - and that probably wont change. They are impracticably small, but not everyone can lay out thousands at a time on gold, so there is a place for them, and as long as you know what you're doing, you'll get the premium back.

The price difference in this case is a tenner, so that pretty much negates the premium argument for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of tenths, having sold one recently (very quickly) I now own precisely none - and that probably wont change. They are impracticably small, but not everyone can lay out thousands at a time on gold, so there is a place for them, and as long as you know what you're doing, you'll get the premium back.

I've said all this above. 

Another thing, we are talking about a specific budget of £850 or less, certainly not thousands. 

I'm not against 1/10ths, I personally have struggled with them for years due to the size, but they started me off when it's all I could afford. 

I'm certainly not pro 1/2 oz either, just saying that after being through every side of the argument..1/10ths are not "better" than anything. 

Obtainable and affordable yes but that wasn't the question.

They're better than 1/20ths.

Touché 😆 

You're arguing for 1/10ths but you have none.

I'm arguing against 1/10ths because I have none lol.

I'm away to get drunk and buy 2 x sovereigns with the OP's budget. Because that's the real best buy/liquidity purchase. 

Just now, James32 said:

Touché 😆 

You're arguing for 1/10ths but you have none.

I'm arguing against 1/10ths because I have none lol.

I'm away to get drunk and buy 2 x sovereigns with the OP's budget. Because that's the real best buy/liquidity purchase. 

Buy a double sovereign, the premium you save will buy your drink! But then you could probably sell two fulls quicker than one double. My head hurts! Enjoy the drink!

21 minutes ago, artalien said:

"Better" needs a qualifier as in better for what?

Better for squabbling about of course!

Buy a double sovereign, the premium you save will buy your drink! But then you could probably sell two fulls quicker than one double. My head hurts! Enjoy the drink!

No longer like gold, I'm away to buy tin.

1 hour ago, artalien said:

One has gots to have an exit strat or why bother with the Shiny at all. What do all them beautiful coins do after all but sit in some dark corner etc, unseen.

I bring mine out from time to time to admire them, provided my wife is not around to see what I have accumulated.

9 minutes ago, artalien said:

Yes it would put me off buying earlier incarnations. I wouldn't pay more for >2020 though.

I'm sure you are right to be sceptical and cautious in buying any gold coin, but, honestly, I really don't think that you should worry too much about buying Britannias without the security features. I have bought three 2017 one ounce gold Britannias (all, I think, from Chards) without a second thought. Of course, a dodgy ebay seller offering very poor photos of the coin needs to be avoided, but, even so, I have never seen or heard of a fake gold Britannia. Naturally, I am happy to be corrected by others with more knowledge and experience; I am very, very far from being expert in this matter. And I would be extremely interested to see the fakes, if photos are available.

4 minutes ago, RDHC said:

And I would be extremely interested to see the fakes, if photos are available.

As would I mate. The reason it would put me off is that I think it would be easier to liquidate the ones with the security features. I am an average guy who is very new to all this. As an average guy I use myself as a yardstick for others, thus I think the security features are a boon.

Edited by artalien