• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The question of gloves...........

So being fairly new to coins and PM's, but from a background as a jewellery and product photographer, i'm used to wearing cotton gloves when handling the shiny stuff.

However, i admit to not wearing gloves for any bullion handling but only hold the coin by its edges and the same with proofs, except i'll wear cotton gloves.

But i've noticed a number of youtubers wear black nitrile gloves rather then white cotton. I use nitrile for other jobs but not coins though.

Whats the general concensus with gloves?

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

So being fairly new to coins and PM's, but from a background as a jewellery and product photographer, i'm used to wearing cotton gloves when handling the shiny stuff.

However, i admit to not wearing gloves for any bullion handling but only hold the coin by its edges and the same with proofs, except i'll wear cotton gloves.

But i've noticed a number of youtubers wear black nitrile gloves rather then white cotton. I use nitrile for other jobs but not coins though.

Whats the general concensus with gloves?

So this is what I've learned ( when I was told off 😆

Wear gloves for everything, it's a good habit to learn, cotton gloves can micro scratch a coin. So Instead of trying to remember which gloves are for what,I just use the blue powder free,latex free gloves for bullion and proofs. ( although I never take a proof out of the capsule unless absolutely necessary)

The Queen's beast coin earlier on today I received, you were holding in the palm of your hand, whilst not noticeable now, any sweat will be transferred and eventually show as fingerprint or worse tarnish.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, James32 said:

The Queen's beast coin earlier on today I received, you were holding in the palm of your hand, whilst not noticeable now, any sweat will be transferred and eventually show as fingerprint or worse tarnish.

I agree it does look like that, but i was holding it by the edges. I try not touch the faces for obvious reasons. And the finger mark on the coin at 10 o'clock isn't mine! Honest!

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

So this is what I've learned ( when I was told off 😆

Wear gloves for everything, it's a good habit to learn, cotton gloves can micro scratch a coin. So Instead of trying to remember which gloves are for what,I just use the blue powder free,latex free gloves for bullion and proofs. ( although I never take a proof out of the capsule unless absolutely necessary)

I wear nitrile gloves most of the day for my model making, so i'll get another box (in a different colour glove) to use for coins. I find them much easier to use thn cotton anyway. I was curious if they may be too abrasive, but apparently they're not, so thank you 👍

For gold - circulated coins I do not bother, moderns (anything after Gillicks) I wear cotton gloves as I think finger prints encourage the fogging on the moderns.  Proofs - I do not touch them at all unless absolutely necessary, but when it is only the outside edge and only with cotton gloves.